Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Debris Field Found?  (Read 243453 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Debris Field Found?
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:11:16 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

dave burrell

• T3
Re: Debris Field Found?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:04:52 PM »

I figured if the waves washed it out, the most likely piece to get "stuck" on the reef and ripped off was the landing gear. The rest of the plane, which was said to be able to float indefinitely, could have floated a mile or more before sinking. Bobbing just under the water maybe. Which means definitive engines and serial numbers may never be located without some expensive deep sea lawn mowing.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:06:27 PM by dave burrell »

JC Sain

• T1
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »

I agree unless it was stuck and beaten quite a bit I have worried that would be the case. Cannot wait for Sunday night and further review of the tape in the months to come.

dave burrell

• T3
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »

and the plane probably wouldn't have just floated straight out, not with the waves breaking in. It might have bounced along the side of the island half sunk, getting bits ripped off all the way to tip of the reef. Then the fuel tanks and engines may have floated away from the reef. Thats a lot of ocean to scan unless they get lucky. Must have been a heart breaking moment for Amelia watching her entire investment being battered and broken. For Fred, he was no doubt wondering why he took this job.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:18:43 PM by dave burrell »

Rafael Krasnodebski

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »

There seems to be another item .. a lollipop (or tail wheel) shaped item with a machined stem below the upper-most (second from the left) arrow and slightly to the right, about half way down the photo, stuck under the end of a large piece of coral. Does anyone else see it, or should I lay off the Jack Daniels? ;D
Raf

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:42:09 PM by Rafael Krasnodebski »

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »

". . . cursory review of less than 30% . . ."?  This increases my lack of understanding as to why Discovery scheduled the show so soon after the return.  Possibly they expected all along that follow-up shows would be needed.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »

They have, after all, been there before.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »

It was because they expected to find bigger pieces of aircraft debris, which would have resulted in less time needed to put video together.

But as is,The wreckage is in smaller pieces an more spread out, So it's a race against time to put it all together

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »

Perhaps Discovery is planning two shows.  Two shows for the price of One?  Makes sense in some ways.  At $1M per hour, cutting your costs in half is not a bad idea for them.  I'm frustrated too, but as one of the "Camel in clouds magical thinking" guys, I've got to say it.  It sure feels like the plane is there ...

L

There is multiple sponsors not just Discovery  ;)

Member# 416

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »

My initial reaction is that the word "might" appears so perhaps it is just a hook in the long tradition of such programs and aimed at getting viewers.

I will wait and see what the full story will be.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »

My initial reaction is that the word "might" appears so perhaps it is just a hook in the long tradition of such programs and aimed at getting viewers.

I will wait and see what the full story will be.

You have shocked me Malcolm  :o out of the video an photo's available on discovery website, You pick up on the word MIGHT

And not "it looks like coral to me phrase"  :)

Member# 416

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »

You have shocked me Malcolm  :o out of the video an photo's available on discovery website, You pick up on the word MIGHT

Well "might" covers a multitude of possible meanings. I admit that coral did cross my mind also but as ever I'll await further information - which in this case is probably the wisest approach.  :-\

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »

Well "might" covers a multitude of possible meanings. I admit that coral did cross my mind also but as ever I'll await further information - which in this case is probably the wisest approach.  :-\

Yes Sir

Totally understand your position on this, an respect the fact you have held back on the "looks like coral answer, Which is a little unsettling to say the least

However i think Tighar have found the place, Were they WILL retrieve smoking gun evidence in next year or so  :)

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »

THAT IS MY OPINION NOT TIGHAR.S  :)

Member# 416

Adam Marsland

• T2
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »

I've certainly gone after Malcolm multiple times on this board, but in this case I think his skepticism is heathy and justified and I share it to some degree.  I'm definitely intrigued, based on having watched these guys in action for 10 years, that THEY seem to think they have something, but the pictures themselves don't convey much to me, and there's certainly some showmanship going on in how this is being unveiled.  That doesn't bother me if there's really some "there" there.  Maybe, maybe not.  Let's just see where this goes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org