Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel System on Lockheed Electra...Emergency procedures only  (Read 44 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member

Several nights ago I watched a documentary on Amelia and her life and flying. Very interesting documentary as it covered pretty much of everything. One of the videos shown was her giving a detailed account of her having to circle back when the weather got bad so she could fly the Vega safely. As I thought about that I wandered with the Electra how much fuel would she have lost in the transition. If so what emergency procedures or procedures would she have taken to overcorrect her fuel usage. Also, at the Amelia Conference we talked about how much fuel she would have left in her tanks at the 150 mark. Very interesting topic. So my question is to balance out the Electra in the fuel transition...what standard procedures did they have back in 1937 and with Amelia and the Electra and all those reserve tanks...how did that fuel system work and did she have an emergency resource available should something drastic to happen. Curious to know if she worked from side to side as a balance or worked from left...then right with her fuel usage. It will be interesting to find out from you Ric or Andrew Mckenna as to how this would work with all the changes and modifications it did to the tanks overtime. Let me know...thanks

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: Fuel System on Lockheed Electra...Emergency procedures only
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:09:42 AM »

Also on that note and additional question is if a plane uses more fuel on one side of the plane than the other will the weight difference force the wings to either move left or right or angle off. Let me know...thanks

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:36:16 AM »

Curious to know if she worked from side to side as a balance or worked from left...then right with her fuel usage. It will be interesting to find out from you Ric or Andrew Mckenna as to how this would work with all the changes and modifications it did to the tanks overtime. Let me know...thanks

Pilot's normally switch tanks periodically to keep the ship balanced. Some fuel systems are more complicated than others.  Earhart's was necessarily very complicated. I don't know exactly how she managed her fuel because I wasn't there.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:38:06 AM »

Also on that note and additional question is if a plane uses more fuel on one side of the plane than the other will the weight difference force the wings to either move left or right or angle off. Let me know...thanks

More weight on one side tends to make the plane tip toward that side.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org