Amelia Earhart Search Forum > Artifact Analysis

Artifact 2-6-S-03A & 2-6-S-03B

(1/18) > >>

Brad Beeching:
Have these two artifacts been identified? I read that the current thinking was that they may be from a sextant box? What about a small suitcase? Some of the other artifacts found are thought to have come from cosmetic and toilet items, such as the odd shaped bottle fragments, compact case fragments, mirror shards etc. etc. Is there any documentation as to what AE might have stored these items in, such as a small case or a small flight bag? A flight bag may also explain the zipper fragments as well.

Just a thought...

Gums

Martin X. Moleski, SJ:

--- Quote from: Brad Beeching on February 24, 2011, 11:31:00 AM ---Have these two artifacts been identified?

--- End quote ---

The two artifacts in question (known to their friends as "gidgies"):

They have not been identified.

Bruce Thomas:
... and you can read what little is known about the gidgies (including a link to the article in an old issue of TIGHAR Tracks) by clicking here.

Brad Beeching:
I have seen items simular to these before and have been racking my brain trying to remember just where I've seen them. I used to work at a furniture auction house years ago and we would get in antique steamer trunks, suitcases and other such items from all over the British Isles. But I keep coming back to a suitcase, so I was hoping to find out if anyone knew what AE might have kept her unmentionable items in? A picture of the ointment bottles, compact, etc and a small travel case keep floating around in my minds eye, so I was going to look in some of the shops we have in the area to see if there are items like the "Gidgies" in a period suitcase or trunk. I seem to remember the shape in conjunction with a false bottom or a panel inside a case. The "Gidgies" remind me of the little swivel locks that held the panel in place.

Gums

Walter Runck:
The serrations remind me of a clasp used to hold an elastic strap in a garment bag, but whenever I try to orient the gidgie into something useful, the geometry doesn't work out.  The teeth are on the wrong end, the screw is in the wrong hole, the bend doesn't belong, etc.  More frustrating than golf.

At first they struck me as something used to hang a picture on a wall where you level the picture by hanging the gidgie on a nail and picking the right notch for balance, but I think the luggage idea makes a lot more sense.

Didn't she ditch her suitcase at Lae and ship it home?  Seems to me she had a couple of nights on the road left and might have kept a small bag of some sort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version