Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Navigational Charts of Lae to Howland @ Oakland to Hawaii  (Read 262 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Navigational Charts of Lae to Howland @ Oakland to Hawaii
« on: August 01, 2020, 07:44:07 AM »

Several weeks ago while I was down in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma stopped in the Ninety-Nines Museum at the airport, and had a chance to look around. What was interesting were these two maps. I don't know if Tighar has a set of these in their archives, but thought it was interesting to look at.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: Navigational Charts of Lae to Howland @ Oakland to Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 07:48:24 AM »

Navigational Chart Part Two

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 07:51:05 AM »

Navigational Chart Part Three

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 08:22:53 AM »

Thanks Randy. I didn't know the 99s had the original charts.  The Howland-Lae chart is from the first world flight attempt. The Honolulu- Oakland chart is from Earhart's 1935 Pacific flight.
It's interesting that the Howard-Lae chart still exists.  It means she didn't take it with her for reference on the second attempt.  Also notice, Baker and the Phoenix Group are not shown.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:51:50 AM »

Ric,
    While I was down there, a staff member who was in charge of the museum at the time told me that if we are in need of maps, charts, or anything else that we might need to look for they could help search for it in their archives. The museum manager, Shaylyn Sawyer...was out for the day and still waiting for her reply email on a few questions I had at the time. She can be contacted at 405-685-9990, fax# 405-685-7985. Email address is museum@ninety-nines.org.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 09:01:30 AM »

Thanks Randy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2020 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org