Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Navigators!!!  (Read 5621 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Question for Navigators!!!
« on: July 27, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »

In reference to Betty's notebook we find a series of numbers indicating a possible location in reference to east and west. In Betty's logging of "fig 8" had me question what these numbers were all about. In reference to ""fig 8" I found out that this is used alot in an analemma. After reading more up on this I'm still not sure what it is, but am hoping that someone will explain this to me. My question for all you navigators out there is can a analemma be used to indicate a certain location such as would be the case with Amelia and Fred? I understand to the point that it is a fixed location on the sun for hours....but wandering if these figures that Betty wrote down are actual coordinates figured in the analemma equation!  Let me know thanks!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: Question for Navigators!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:33:32 PM »

Picture of analemme!

RGWealleans

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »

Yes, it is a figure 8 but if you're on an uninhabited island with a useless aircraft and do not know the name of the island that you're on, might not the "figure 8" comment by AE or FN refer to the general shape of Gardner from the air? Remember also that on charts at this time, the shape of Gardner was different and wrong. This was only corrected on charts published in 1938. So, even assuming AE had a chart for south of the Equator with her, she could not have connected Gardner as she saw it from the air with the Gardner on those erroneous charts.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »

Yes, it is a figure 8 but if you're on an uninhabited island with a useless aircraft and do not know the name of the island that you're on, might not the "figure 8" comment by AE or FN refer to the general shape of Gardner from the air?

I fail to see how the shape of Gardner resembles a figure 8.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org