Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quarantined Bones  (Read 5264 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Quarantined Bones
« on: February 28, 2018, 12:55:23 AM »

I've been wanting to ask this question for weeks now, but very interested in wanting to know from Richard Jantz what would lead someone to receive a box of bones and quarantine them. I was reading up on the timeline of the bone find, the analysis at Fiji, and then the return. I don't know about you all, but these bones got around alot. If the Chief Medical Officer who received the bones on the last leg did receive them, and sent them to this supposedly island that held quarantined stuff mentioned...what would be the reason? Let's say Amelia did land on the island...she became really ill, caught cholera, and died. Would these bones be exposed to the disease seven years later when they are found? Back in the 1970's Fort Leavenworth archeologists came to Fort Hays to exhume all those calvary soldiers who perished from cholera. At the time the disease was found in well water. It was also noted that the bones were placed in metal boxes to prevent exposure to air and water. So I'm wandering Richard...is it possible that these bones on Niku were also exposed to something that caused others to get sick? Let me know...thanks

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Quarantined Bones
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 07:36:45 AM »

If the Chief Medical Officer who received the bones on the last leg did receive them, and sent them to this supposedly island that held quarantined stuff mentioned...what would be the reason?

Randy, I don't know where you got the idea that the Chief Medical Officer sent the bones to some island that held quarantined stuff. 
• Gallagher found the bones on Gardner.
• He was ordered to send them to Fiji.
• On the way to Fiji, the ship carrying the bones stopped at Tarawa.
• The medical officer at Tarawa, who did not know the story behind the bones, quarantined the port of Tarawa.
• When the authorities in Fiji found out, they ordered him to release the bones immediately.
• The ship then continued on its way and when the bones arrived in Fiji they were given to the principal of the medical school.  Nothing was quarantined.
• When the principal of the medical school finished his examination and concluded that the bones were not Amelia's nothing further was done with the bones. We don't know what eventually happened to them.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: Quarantined Bones
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »

Ric...thanks for the reply. I wasn't making it sound like he did...just in question if indeed it was to happen. I was reading the document the other night and maybe I read into it wrong. But it leaves you wandering..if the quarantined stuff was to have been sent to this would be island where they quarantined all this stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org