Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fake News from 1937  (Read 5465 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Fake News from 1937
« on: December 14, 2017, 07:49:31 AM »

Somebody sent me this article from the August 27, 1937 issue of Pacific Islands Monthly.  If you try hard enough, you can find one or two statements that are actually true.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
Re: Fake News from 1937
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:26:58 AM »

( Article is on page 17 )

Don White

• TIGHAR member
  • Tighar Member #4989A
Re: Fake News from 1937
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 09:48:43 AM »

Interesting to see a contemporary report, however erroneous, in actual facsimile. Of course first I went looking to see if I could identify the one or two true statements. Not sure if I succeeded. But even among the misinformation are items of interest. The cynical view expressed of Amelia's flight resembles that found in other articles at the time, including in mainstream American media. Here is also another indication of how widespread the theory was, at the time, that she had landed on one of the Phoenix or Gilbert Islands. Then there is the depiction of the relations between the three major Pacific powers and that they would each use the excuse of a search for Amelia to check each other out. And the (presumably untrue) statement that the Japanese had sent a fleet to search for Amelia is interesting in view of the later theory that they found her. Finally, the ads in the paper, especially the one for Clyde batteries are interesting, even poignant, as indications of what life was like in the islands for British colonials at the time -- and indeed what they expected life would be like, had a world war not interfered with their plans.

LTM,
Don White
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org