Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annual members meeting for TIGHAR?  (Read 8354 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Annual members meeting for TIGHAR?
« on: July 14, 2016, 06:37:59 AM »

Something I think would be a good idea to attract new members to TIGHAR and help build the base of 5,000 people that Ric says we need to be self-sustaining, is an annual membership meeting for all TIGHAR members.

It could be a one day or even a half-day affair in which all current activities were discussed, members would get to meet one another to put a face with a name, and strategies for growth, development and future activities was discussed. It could be held in a central location or near TIGHAR HQ in Pennsylvania, wherever it would be the most cost-effective. Many non-profit member-driven organizations do this on a yearly basis, as one of the benefits of belonging to the organization.

Since the TIGHAR board is having a retreat this August anyway, perhaps a half-day could be added at a nearby hotel meeting room, for the membership?

While there have been several conferences in my 18 years of belonging to TIGHAR, I don't recall an annual membership meeting. I think it would have a lot of positive benefits for the long-term growth of the organization.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Annual members meeting for TIGHAR?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 07:29:36 AM »

Something I think would be a good idea to attract new members to TIGHAR and help build the base of 5,000 people that Ric says we need to be self-sustaining, is an annual membership meeting for all TIGHAR members.

I have organized three small summer conferences for an academic society.

I have helped to organize large meetings of Catholic Charismatics (6,000 to 32,000).

I have some sense of what it takes to put on a good show in the right-sized venue.

It takes at least a year of concentration to make such events worthwhile to those who attend them.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment that the benefits of such an event would outweigh the costs.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:02:48 AM »

Marty is right.  The concept is noble but the practicalities just don't work for TIGHAR.  Our membership is scattered all over the U.S. and, indeed, the world.  Travel is expensive in both time and dollars.  The Earhart 75 Symposium in 2012 was held in Washington, DC.  - a good, easy-to-get-to location in the densely populated northeast of the U.S.  It was open to everyone, not just TIGHAR members. Only a little over 100 people participated.  Those who were there had a terrific time but we lost our shirt financially.

TIGHAR will have a strong presence at the 7th Annual Wreckchasing Symposium at the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum in Pueblo, Colorado, September 23-25, 2016. The per-person cost to attend this event is only $30.00.  This includes: unlimited museum access for the weekend; Saturday and Sunday refreshments, as well as lunchtime buffets; participation in all seminars; and an invitation to the Saturday evening awards banquet. TIGHAR is hosting a free reception on Friday evening, Sept. 23. We encourage TIGHAR members and everyone else to join us there.

Since the TIGHAR board is having a retreat this August anyway, perhaps a half-day could be added at a nearby hotel meeting room, for the membership?

I'm curious to know where you heard that the TIGHAR board is having a retreat in August?

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »

Here is the link to the Wreckchasing Symposium

http://www.wreckchasing-symposium.com

While this is not a TIGHAR event, so to speak, many of the TIGHAR Board and other members will be there, and several presentations by TIGHAR Members on Aviation Archaeology will be given to the attendees including Ric, Tom King, Brian Richardson, and Walt Holm.  There will be a lot of non-TIGHAR members there as well, but all interested in the subject and I'm sure there will be some great presentations on Aviation Archaeology projects from all around the country, and beyond. 

I encourage anyone interested to attend and help us spread the message about TIGHAR activities and TIGHAR membership.  It should be a great time.

The Venue is the Pueblo Weisbrod Aviation Museum which has an interesting collection.

http://www.pwam.org

See you there!!

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:34:41 AM by Andrew M McKenna »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org