Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Black and White Video of the Debris Field  (Read 63803 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: 2012 Black and White Video of the Debris Field
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »

it appears to be a perfect match!

IMHO, Randy, the curve is too much of a perfect semicircle. The leading edge of the Electra tail cuts in more towards the top. Also, I don't see a hinge line between the fixed and movable parts, nor any sign of a trim tab.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:18:54 PM by Tim Mellon »

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »

Tim, are you taking into consideration that the bottom picture I have of the electra is actually turned upside down. If you took this picture after turning the entire plane upside down and then taking the tail part and flipping it from left to right...the match will appear like that in the first picture Greg submitted!!!!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 09:09:22 AM »

This horse is dead and will not benefit from further flogging.  This and other topics discussing whether various shapes in the underwater video are or are not encrusted objects of interest have run their course.  Both sides have had more than adequate opportunity to state their case and flogging the subject further will not change anyone's mind.  We'll give the horse a decent burial by locking "Summary of Debris from 2010," "2010 Black and White Video of the Debris Field," and "Possible Rope video."  I'll leave "Underwater Airplane Parts" open but only as a discussion of what known underwater airplane parts look like in contexts other than Nikumaroro.  I'll remove new topics that attempt to revive discussions of objects seen in 2010 and 2012 underwater video unless and until Jeff Glickman advises me that he has found something worth discussing.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »

This topic has been re-opened.  Enjoy.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »

Beware of apophenia.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

John B. Shattuck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »

Okay, got me... I looked it up:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"apophenia /æpɵˈfiːniə/ is the experience of seeing patterns or connections in random or meaningless data.

The term is attributed to Klaus Conrad[1] by Peter Brugger,[2] who defined it as the "unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness", but it has come to represent the human tendency to seek patterns in random information in general, such as with gambling and paranormal phenomena.[3]"

Cheers;

JB

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 07:09:32 PM »

I  had an idea that maybe to take off some of the strain of looking for objects, and as Marty and others have expressed, basically feeling obligated to find something directly related to the electra or the parts, we could just label items as related or not related and move on. There are obviously more things in the pictures than airplane parts. If we could sort of brush aside the dirt, so to speak, it would be easier to find the gold nuggets. Some things are easier to identify than others based on our own research and experience with the item, but if it doesn't exactly fit the definition of what we think we should find, our mind tries to reconfigure it until it seems to look right. Maybe if we could put things in two piles, a) really good match, and, b) really not related to earhart, we could push aside the b) things and concentrate on the a) pile. As an example, the Bevington object, the glass jars and mirror parts seem like good a)s. Many items in the debris field video may be identifiable rubber, gears or wheel rims, but the electra only had two main wheels, and most of these items would go in the b) pile, at least until proven otherwise.
Bob S.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:23:25 PM by Bob Smith »

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
Re: 2012 Black and White Video of the Debris Field (landing craft ramp)
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 07:51:13 PM »

what looks like a landing craft ramp in the video of identified object would be a b) as would  the (maybe) track vehicle engine in video of debris field (laying on its back near end of video) This  picture is a continental R-975 used inM4 tanks and M7 Priest SPGs  and looks similar to Pratt & Whitney 985's and 1340's but a land based version with vanes for better cooling without a propellor.
Bob S.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:03:44 PM by Bob Smith »

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »

This should probably go with the object identified  video. I am not speculating anymore, just putting these out there for anyone to use as  you see fit! I have more.. this is of an amunition skid similar to the one above behind the tank. I don't know what typeof tank is shown.
Bob S.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:35:29 PM by Bob Smith »

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »

I think I have a better understanding of why this thread is in “alternate lines of inquiry” now, even though it has something in the video that will be investigated in Niku VIII.
Some of the things I see as possibly “related”, at least to aviation,  are the little wheels that could be control cable pulleys. When Mr. Glickman first identified the “debris field” in this video, one of the objects pointed to was a possible pulley.  I see at least 3 other objects that might be pulleys. Of course these objects could be something else that is not related to aviation and some images could be coral playing tricks. (“beware of apophenia”). However, if there are multiple pulleys there, they could be part of a control cable system and aviation related. The best way to find out is to get a closer look.  (RE: plan for Niku VIII).
3971R

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org