Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Niku VIII Plan  (Read 158653 times)

Scott C. Mitchell

• TIGHAR member
Re: Niku VIII Plan
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »

Ah.  Thanks, Greg. / Scott

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »

I'm glad we're going to look for the postulated Camp Zero, and I am as always hopeful that Amelia's watch or Fred's Arrow pen will be found right out in the open, but ... we have to remember that the west side of the island, where Camp Zero would most likely have been located, is also the direction that the powerful storms come slamming into the island from, and on a relatively regular basis.

Previous Niku expeditions have found evidence of ocean overwash hundreds of feet back into the brush, and much of the original village area has been either rearranged or basically cleaned off of light surface deposits. The former landing channel marker, a fairly substantial construction, has been completely removed.

But - we might get lucky. I'm more than willing to settle for that.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2013, 05:55:48 PM »

Ric, make it easy on yourself.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2013, 08:36:30 PM »

I'm glad we're going to look for the postulated Camp Zero, and I am as always hopeful that Amelia's watch or Fred's Arrow pen will be found right out in the open, but ... we have to remember that the west side of the island, where Camp Zero would most likely have been located, is also the direction that the powerful storms come slamming into the island from, and on a relatively regular basis.

Previous Niku expeditions have found evidence of ocean overwash hundreds of feet back into the brush, and much of the original village area has been either rearranged or basically cleaned off of light surface deposits. The former landing channel marker, a fairly substantial construction, has been completely removed.

But - we might get lucky. I'm more than willing to settle for that.

LTM,

Good point. I noticed the saltwater incursions noted by TIGHAR on some aerials. Maybe storms could help though. It would be nice to get lucky and find aircraft wreckage washed up or uncovered when looking for camp zero. I'll settle for TIGHAR having a safe search, good equipment and just not having bad luck. The 2012 Dive 3 picked up the Glickman Debris field right off the bat, right in an area where it should be. Looking forward to a better look of that area in 2014
3971R

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:44:04 PM by Greg Daspit »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2013, 02:28:24 AM »

Hi Ric

Sure I have asked u that question before so my apologies.

Will you's be heading straight for Tighar Target 1\Sonar anomaly or will the 2012 debris field be first on list ?

Also would it be possible to setup a live feed of video getting sent up to ships monitors ? May also bring allot more people and donation to expedition funds
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »

I like the idea of a live video feed, even though I would undoubtely get motion sick just watching it. I can see where it would have the potential to generate a LOT of extra excitement/enthusiasm/funds/etc. What gives me pause are two factors: 1) Logistics, and 2) Costs.

I'm not up on global communications, but I do know that any kind of satellite communication or live feed would be expensive. If it comes down to a live feed or more days of bottom time for the mini-subs, I vote for more bottom time. If TIGHAR can snag another sponsorship from something like the Discovery Channel, then there would be the issue of them having "first rights" to the Any Idiot Artifact when it's found. Selling those rights could raise a good chunk of the needed cash.

There is also the fine line between serious exploration and cheesy reality TV-type programming. I think we want to avoid the latter, no matter how many new donors it might snag.

LTM, who cut the TV cable awhile ago,
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »

Will you's be heading straight for Tighar Target 1\Sonar anomaly or will the 2012 debris field be first on list ?

We's be heading straight for the banjo!  Seriously, with two subs in the water we should be able to check both the possible debris field and the anomaly on the first day.

Also would it be possible to setup a live feed of video getting sent up to ships monitors ? May also bring allot more people and donation to expedition funds

The subs have no connection to the surface so video imagery will only be available after they are recovered aboard ship. A live video feed is not in the cards.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »

Call off the next expedition, I found her….

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:06 PM »

Call off the next expedition, I found her….

Yeah, that's about about what I would expect her to look like after 76 years.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »

OUCH!  Glad that wasn't a picture of me! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Dale O. Beethe

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2013, 01:35:40 PM »

My goodness, she's "ossified"!

Bob Miller

• T1
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2013, 08:31:03 PM »

And I hadn't even read about these subs when I took this pic of their home in Hawaii!

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »

Pisces submersibles help find WWII Japanese sub.
Another article here
YouTube video showing initial sighting (example of lighting at 2,300 feet) here
3971R

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:04:18 PM by Greg Daspit »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »

I dream of coming upon the Electra wreckage like that. 

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »

I dream of coming upon the Electra wreckage like that.

That is a fine dream.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org