(Redirected from Macpherson)
- Full name: Duncan Ewan Campbell Macpherson (or "Duncan Campbell Macewan Macpherson").
- Nicknamed "Jock."
- Born 1901.
- 1928 – Graduated from University of Glasgow Medical School with M.B, Ch.B.
- Senior Vice President of the Glasgow University Medico-Chirurgical Society.
- 1929 - Medical Officer, Gilbert & Ellice Islands Colony.
- 1931 - Acting Senior Medical Officer of the G&EIC.
- 1933-1935 - On leave. Granted a Certificate in Public Health , June 12, 1934, at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, and a Diploma in Tropical Medicine from the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, England.
- Resumed duty in Fiji Feb. 19, 1935 and transferred to Fiji Service.
- Awarded a Fellowship in the International Health Division of the Rockefeller Foundation.
- 1939, July – Appointed Pathologist for the Colony of Fiji.
- 1939, Oct. – Appointed Assistant to Central Medical Authority of Western Pacific.
- 1940 - Acting Central Medical Authority of Western Pacific.
- Attended Gallagher in his final illness in 1941. Letter to Vaskess about the events leading up to Gallagher's death.
- On July 7, 1943, McGusty wrote Macpherson's dad to say that his son had cirrhosis of the liver. Three days later, Macpherson died. Macpherson was 42.
- Tofiga: "Didn't his death shock all of us! It was the first big funeral in Suva. Military, too. No dry eyes that day."
- On 4 October 1943, a silver pocket watch, a silver wrist watch, and a gold signet ring were sent to Vaskess, the Secretary of the WPHC: "It was Dr. Macpherson's intent to take these items to Mr. Gallagher's parents when he next went to England on leave." TIGHAR has not determined whether the watch and ring were, in fact, delivered to the Gallaghers.
- The death is reported from Suva, Fiji, of Dr. DUNCAN CAMPBELL MACEWAN MACPHERSON, Assistant Director of Medical Services, Fiji and Western Pacific. The only son of Hugh MacPherson, J.P., of Acharacle, Argyllshire, he was born in 1901. He graduated M.B., Ch.B. at the University of Glasgow in 1928, and was senior vice-president of the Glasgow University Medico-Chirurgical Society. After holding resident posts at the Newark General Hospital and the Glasgow Royal Mental Hospital he won a Fellowship in the International Health Division of the Rockefeller Foundation, and worked for a time at the Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, which granted him its certificate of public health in 1934, and soon afterwards he obtained the D.T.M. of Liverpool. Entering the Colonial Medical Service, Dr. MacPherson worked as medical officer to the Gilbert and Ellice Islands before being transferred to Suva, where, in addition to his official post as A.D.M.S., he was lecturer in pathology, bacteriology. and forensic medicine at the Central Medical School. He had been a member of the B.M.A. since graduation.