Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikumaroro 2014?? Why wait?  (Read 15700 times)

Paul Atkinson

• T1
Nikumaroro 2014?? Why wait?
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »

I read on the TIGHAR Facebook page the plan was to return to Nikumaroro in 2014?  Although I'm new as a posting member, I have been reading here for quite some time over the previous years as it pertains to the Earhart mystery.   I guess I'm a little confused at the logic of a two year gap.  Forgive me if some of this has been touched upon in other posts but:

1.  Why wait another two years to return if the recent trip provided (according to TIGHAR) some pretty concrete evidence that matches expectations of plane debris?  Doesn't this allow for another two years worth of deterioration to the site?  What about other researchers having the ability to swoop in and steal the discovery?

2.  I know these trips are not cheap.  However, from the video footage of the supposed debris field, it looks like the objects are at a depth attainable to divers, sumersibles, or ROV's.  If so, would that not pare back the cost considerably by eliminating need for automated search ROV's, and much higher cost technology such as what was used this last mission?

3.  How can TIGHAR believe they are this close to solving one of the greatest mysteries of the modern era but sit back for two years while it waits?  It just doesn't make much sense.  I know a lot of planning is involved.  However, if someone had compelling evidence they knew where the Holy Grail was residing, I'm pretty sure they'd find the money and a way to get to it post haste.  Solving the Earhart mystery would seem to me to be quite similar in many respects.  I simply cannot believe Discovery Channel, or one of the other major networks, would not jump at the chance to be the one to monetarily fund a return mission much sooner if provided compelling evidence that supported what is being pushed here.

In the end, I'm not trying to be confrontational, and am excited by the prospects.  Perhaps I'm naive to the process, but I am simply looking for a logical response to what I believe many others must be thinking as well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:45:13 PM by Paul Atkinson »

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Nikumaroro 2014?? Why wait?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »

Hi Paul

Welcome to forums

I think after the many accidents with equipment etc, On last trip, Tighar needs to be sure they have the tools available to burrow them self out of trouble an be up to the task, Aldo the last expedition was some what of a success, i hope the sponsors wont feel out of pocket.

As NO one was prepared for the environment that greeted them, But in a way it has helped us because it is clear to see unless ur in a sturdy tank like vessel your plane is going to get grated up

Thanks Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »

Hi Paul and welcome. If I may, the wreckage is below diving depths as I understand it. Submirsibles, yep. but expensive. Along with their support vessels and crew, it would be a pretty hefty bills for sure. I asked similar questions at the DC symposium, and got some really good answers from people that had been there. We look at Niku and see a beautiful tropical paradise. Under water, however, it seems things are vastly different.
I'm pretty sure Ric and Co. are looking at all options, and it may take that long to pay off Niku Vii, and gather enough money for another trip.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:15:28 AM »

1.  Why wait another two years to return if the recent trip provided (according to TIGHAR) some pretty concrete evidence that matches expectations of plane debris?

We need more time to analyze the imagery, decide what is worth investigating, and how best to investigate it.

Doesn't this allow for another two years worth of deterioration to the site?

Yes.

What about other researchers having the ability to swoop in and steal the discovery?

It would be sort of like stealing the Mona Lisa.  It's theoretically possible, but what would you do with it?  TIGHAR has an exclusive Antiquities Management Agreement with the Republic of Kiribati.  Only TIGHAR can legally conduct Earhart research within the national borders of Kiribati.

2.  I know these trips are not cheap.  However, from the video footage of the supposed debris field, it looks like the objects are at a depth attainable to divers, sumersibles, or ROV's.  If so, would that not pare back the cost considerably by eliminating need for automated search ROV's, and much higher cost technology such as what was used this last mission?

By "automated search ROV's" I think you mean AUVs (autonomous underwater vehicles). Yes.  That technology proved to be totally inappropriate for the Niku environment.  Like bringing a bird dog to a coon hunt.  But the question of whether to use divers, manned submersibles, or ROVs determines the size of boat we need.  Do we need a $30,000/day boat sailing from Hawaii (9 days each way) or a $10,000/day boat sailing from Samoa (3 days each way)? 

3.  How can TIGHAR believe they are this close to solving one of the greatest mysteries of the modern era but sit back for two years while it waits?  It just doesn't make much sense.  I know a lot of planning is involved.  However, if someone had compelling evidence they knew where the Holy Grail was residing, I'm pretty sure they'd find the money and a way to get to it post haste.  Solving the Earhart mystery would seem to me to be quite similar in many respects.  I simply cannot believe Discovery Channel, or one of the other major networks, would not jump at the chance to be the one to monetarily fund a return mission much sooner if provided compelling evidence that supported what is being pushed here.

I assure you we have no intention of sitting back. 

In the end, I'm not trying to be confrontational, and am excited by the prospects.  Perhaps I'm naive to the process, but I am simply looking for a logical response to what I believe many others must be thinking as well.

Yes, you are naive to the process. 
- Media like Discovery and Nat'l Geographic have far less money to throw around than most people assume. The sale of exclusive media rights covers only a small portion of the cost of TIGHAR expeditions. 
- Suitable ships are hard to find and usually must be booked a year in advance. 
- Fundraising is always the biggest issue.  We ended this last trip nearly $400,000 in debt.  That debt has to be retired before we can begin building the next trip.
- Although we're bigger than we've ever been, TIGHAR is still a small and struggling organization. 

When we say it will take us until 2014 to be ready to go back out we're being optimistic.  I think we can do it, but it's going to take a lot of work and support.

Paul Atkinson

• T1
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »

Ric (and others) thank you for the personal response.  It answered my questions and opened my eyes.  Seems funding is the main hindrance.  I will continue to push the information you guys release to people I know and encourage support.  I wish you the very best and can't wait for the next steps to be taken towards solving this mystery. 

tom howard

• T2
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:59:38 PM »

Paul, funding is always the biggest obstacle in any business. I remember looking on another man's site, also searching for Earhart,(who will remain anonymous by me), and the goal I believe was $500,000 and he had raised $4,000.
Trip was cancelled.
It's amazing this group Tighar has went one time. Three would be outstanding.
To go seven times to such a remote location says a lot.
Nobody should get jaded or take even one trip for granted, it sure isnt happening year after year unless Bill Gates is a close friend and supporter.
2014 is probably optimistic, keep your fingers crossed.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:11:02 AM »

Niku VII was our tenth trip to Niku.  Here's the list:
1989 - Niku I (although we never called it that. We didn't expect there would be more.)
1991 - Niku II
1996 - Niku IIIP (P for Preliminary.)
1997 - Niku III
1999 - Niku IVP
2001 - Niku IV
2003 - Niku VP
2007 - Niku V
2010 - Niku VI
2012 - Niku VII

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »

Niku VII was our tenth trip to Niku.

Ameliapedia has descriptive articles for these TIGHAR expeditions to Niku.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org