Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Earth map of Nikumaroro Island  (Read 19444 times)

Doug Giese

• inactive
Google Earth map of Nikumaroro Island
« on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »

I felt like having a relaxing day (pre-Labor Day?).

There's an immense amount of great information on this site. I decided to use Google Earth to help organize my thoughts (I was wondering about the choice of landing sites and wanted what a quick recon of the island by AE/FN would show and after looking at the map and Research Bulletins think it looks like an optimal spot). Yes, I know there are a number of maps in the Research Bulletins, etc., but with Google Earth it's easy to store things in layers so the map doesn't get cluttered and to store hyperlinks.

Virtually everything on the map is from this site. I don't claim original ownership of anything. If things are a little out of place, well those things happen. It anyone finds it useful, great. If not, you get what you pay for ;) Perhaps it will help others of us new to this site to get up to speed quicker.

Save the attached .kmz file somewhere then open it in Google Earth. It worked for me. There are a bunch of layers you can toggle on and off by clicking on the little squares in the properties panel at the left of the screen. Note that many of the icons contain links to corresponding TIGHAR Research Bulletins and archives.

Read Me: Pretty much what's in this post

Aircraft Wreckage: locations of the reported wreckage sites.

Place Names: Contains the names of different parts of the island.

Sites: Shows sites like the Norwich City, Seven Site, recent debris field, the Bevington camera location, Nessie, etc. Interesting: Drag the little orange man Street View on top of the camera location to see a recreation of the Bevington photo.

Extra Info: Little notes seen in posts, including the tiny lagoon where Ric jumped into quicksand.

Potential Runways: the two I've seen mentioned. See the hyperlinks.

General Information: three free floating Icons that contain the most interesting links I ran across. There's also a link to the TIGHAR archives.

------
Doug

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:43:06 PM by Doug Giese »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Google Earth map of Nikumaroro Island
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »

Nice work, Doug.

You might want to review Google Earth Coordinates / .kmz files for the Earhart Project, both to see what has already been done and to add your .kmz file there.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »

Nice work, Doug.

You might want to review Google Earth Coordinates / .kmz files for the Earhart Project, both to see what has already been done and to add your .kmz file there.

Yep, I should have asked. There is an enormous amount of information on this site. Even after searching reasonably diligently, I've run across several long (and sometimes wandering) threads that contain answers (or speculations) to questions or hypotheses I've considered. TIGHAR has been very thorough.
------
Doug

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:22 PM »

Even after searching reasonably diligently, I've run across several long (and sometimes wandering) threads that contain answers (or speculations) to questions or hypotheses I've considered.

Let us know if you think something should go in the wiki or a FAQ.

I snag a few things from time to time, but a lot just gets left here in the Forum, which, I know from experience, is very tricky to search.  :(
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 03:45:19 AM »

I snag a few things from time to time, but a lot just gets left here in the Forum, which, I know from experience, is very tricky to search:(

AH HA! ;D You admit that you have the same problem that some others of us have found to be true.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »

I snag a few things from time to time, but a lot just gets left here in the Forum, which, I know from experience, is very tricky to  search:(

AH HA! ;D You admit that you have the same problem that some others of us have found to be true.

Yup.  I have spent many hours searching for things that I believe were said at some time in the twelve years I have participated in one version of the Forum or another.  Sometimes I find them; sometimes I don't.   :(
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »

Thanks Marty. Now I don't feel so bad about my inability to sometimes find things.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org