Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skeptoid  (Read 16522 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Skeptoid
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:11:16 AM »

Skeptoid

The right to reply has been denied, hope the trolls arn't hungrey :)

I loved the irony that they lived on this blog and had the bare faced cheek to slight TIGHAR's financial Morals  ;D

Tim Collins

• T4
Re: Skeptoid
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:43:22 AM »

Thanks a lot. I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading that. 

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:23:53 AM »

Here is a little background information about Brian Dunning the founder of Skeptoid.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »

No posts on Skeptoid since August 17. :o
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »

Thanks a lot. I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading that.

I know the feeling, but at least I gained something - I am a firm skeptic of 'Skeptoid'.

I'm all for intelligent and well reasoned criticism and alternative theories, I really am. But when they can't even get right the very theory they are criticizing or countering... now really. It's like arguing with somebody who doesn't know and won't admit they're misinformed. It just smacks of the political arena of late. Skew or down right make up "facts" about your opponent then go on the attack. Oh, and be sure to assume an angry and belittling tone, that makes your argument all the more valid and theirs all the more false. 

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »

Skeptoid tag line is "Critical Analysis of Pop Phenomena".  Critical analysis is subjective because it includes the author's opinion of the subject matter, but the analysis that is the basis of the criticism is supposed to break down and study the parts of the subject matter.

Skeptoid sure is critical, but he doesn't seem to have done any real homework on what he is criticizing so his analysis is really weak, hence the off base criticism of TIGHAR's hypothesis. 

I'm saving this quote from Mr. Skeptoid just in case it disappears from his site:

"If Earhart and Noonan’s plane is ever found, I’m betting all my chips that it will be a lot closer to Howland than to Nikumaroro. And you can quote me on that."

Looking forward to the day I can quote him back to himself.

Andrew

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »

Skeptoid
The right to reply has been denied, hope the trolls arn't hungrey :)

I scanned the site a couple of days ago. Several people were complaining that responses were hard to follow. There is no equivalent to "Show unread posts since last visit". A suggestion was made to fix the problem by disabling responses to older threads, forcing their site to operate like this site. Nothing sinister.

I agree the site is quite bizarre. The backgrounds of the principals is quite telling.
------
Doug

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 10:54:48 PM »

Hi All

You guys/girls like myself read these sites out of pure curiosity, The sad thing is there is more harsh forums dedicated to the downfall of Tighar than i care to mention....

The thing is none of the Tighar naysayers have got the B***'S to try getting the money to mount an expedition to search for Amelia, Dave Billings lets be honest if we were given a map with a serial number wrote on it that matched the Electra Engines You would have to gag Ric to get him off air No Offence Ric, Meanwhile Gary Lapook while so confident in his aerial navigation he has yet to mount an expedition And Hasn't even been approached for his story of what he believes ?

Over an Out
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »

Hi All

My apologies with regard to my previous post my tone was not to disrespect those mentioned But too highlight the fact that in other forums Billings theory was praised to the point they were suggesting Tim Mellon fund the expedition until Gary blew it so far out the water they continued in pm's.

Everyone admired Gary for his navigation skills and were made up to see David's Theory shot  down cold blooded...

But why has Gary so adamant in his navigation skills seek funding for a search of the area of his speculated resting place of Electra  ?

Or will it be up-to Ric to do the dirty work again ?

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »

Sometimes it seems like 'anything but TIGHAR' to some out there. 

Agreed, and I can see why. While I really haven't spent much time on the other theories (I did read a book on the Saipan theory years ago), my impression of them is that they are simple explanations wrapped up into neat packages, end of story. Witnesses have said what they said and are taken as incontrovertible. Crashed and sank? That's the most obvious explanation and it would be too costly to prove (if it weren't so believable that it no, if it weren't true). But that's what happened so end of story. In short, I don't think there are any really active investigations involving those other theories.

Now for TIGHAR. Way back when, the Earhart topic came up and the evidence (new take on the subject) was intriguing enough to pursue. Evidence was gathered and, so as to do it right and get truly incontrovertible truth, scientific methods were applied to analyzing the data. The search for evidence, and its analysis, has and still continues. From following the evidence and it's analysis TIGHAR's theory has evolved, as it should. That's what a scientific approach is all about, go where the evidence points, reevaluating every step of the way. And that's the problem of the naysayers. TIGHAR, with its active investigation, seem to be constantly changing it's story rather that wrapping it up into a tidy little "end of story" package. Because it changes, there must not be anything there, or, at the very least there's a nefarious alterior motive - stealing credit for "finding" Amelia? (I can't think for the life of me why the naysayers would really care about TIGHAR's on going efforts - maybe because we're on the right track?)

Has TIGHAR even claimed to have acrually found Earhart? I don't think that's ever been articulated in so many words, but by some people's measure, the circumstantial evidence sure does look suggestive of it. (Don't get me going on the Ballard analogy) But the search continues (and it absolutely NEEDS TO) for that "shut up stupid" piece of evidence.

People are stupid, sorry to say. They don't like to think and want everything presented into neat little packages. A work in progress is just too complicated to comprehend. "That's nice, don't bother me with the details of how and what you're doing, just tell me the story when your done."  TIGHAR's problem it that it thinks out loud and is willing to consider input from the masses.

Anyway, just a bit of my take. Sorry to have rambled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org