Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search and recovery: B-17 crashed into Bolsena Lake, June 1944  (Read 126712 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Search and recovery: B-17 crashed into Bolsena Lake, June 1944
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2014, 05:03:29 AM »

From Mario--seeking help to find information about three Prisoners of War:

Ciao Marty, it is very nice to have achieved something so important. Now, finally, we have a known history but, for me, it is not enough to tell the whole story. There are things in my research that do not yet have an answer--the stories of the three POWs :
  • Sgt. Horace M. Mahabirsingh (tail gunner), #12157080
  • 2Lt. Kermit J. Buol (Navigator), #0-747077
  • 2Lt. Karl D. Shawaker (Bombardier), #0-676524
I have interviewed several witnesses close to where they landed, but nobody saw them nor do they know how and where they were captured.

I have not been able to find any trace of what happened to the three crewmen.
I have also talked with the relatives of the three airmen. I found a lot of material on their stay in the German prison camps, but their families do not know the details of how they were captured.
It would be interesting to know what happened when they touched the ground. I am convinced that in some military archives there must be a report from when they returned home.

Can we try to do something?
I am attaching a picture of a display in the museum that recounts a part of their history.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:17:59 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05:52 PM »

LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »

And the TIGHAR forum gets a credit! Bonus!!!

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2014, 08:20:33 AM »

DiscoveryNews.com has written up the story and TIGHAR gets a good mention. 
The museum exhibit is a fine example of true aviation historic preservation.  The turret is conserved and restored (returned to a known previous appearance with minimal introduction of new material).  It is a genuine piece of history, not a stand-in. And it honors the people more than the technology - you made that possible.  Everyone who had a hand in this should be proud. 

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »

News from Mario Di Sorte:

I'm really happy that a relative of  Lt. Pedersen is interested in his story. At the beginning of my researches I was able to find his nephew, but unfortunately he is totally uninterested.

A few days ago the English version of my book was published.  In Beyond the Lake. The last mission of a B-17: intertwined stories of downed American airmen in Italy during WWII, I describe the historical period, the life of American airmen in Italy during the war, and of course tell the story of the fatal flight.  I also write about the solidarity of those poor farmers who risked their lives to save the American crewmen.

For the moment I'm waiting for some presentation of the book  in  USA.  Probably they will take place in New York at an air museum and  then at the Italian Cultural Institute in Washington. But still I do not know the exact dates.

Grazie for everything.

Mario Di Sorte
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:38:37 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2016, 07:39:30 PM »

Please note that I have inserted Mario Di Sorte's full name as well as a link to the English version of the book in the preceding post.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »

Mario sent me a copy of his book.

It is impressive--383 pages, nicely bound, with lots of pictures.

I haven't started reading it yet.  I wanted to get a scan while the cover was still in mint condition.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org