Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures of Interest  (Read 41493 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Pictures of Interest
« on: July 18, 2012, 01:17:56 AM »

Good Morning you all!!! Thought I would throw a few pictures out to some of you. Don't know if anyone has seen these or not..but thought they were very interesting as to some of us have been discussing these very same topics. Also, today marks the 80th anniversary of Amelia Earhart's receiving the Distinquished Flying Cross Award. Anyway, below are some of the pictures on some of the things we have been discussing bout. Really curious to know what that is that Harry Mantz and Amelia are holding? Is that a sextant? Also, the other photograph shows Amelia and another man next to the directional finder. Is this how long the wire runs between the transmitter and box?  Anyway, enjoy the photos!!!!

Gary LaPook

• T5
Re: Pictures of Interest
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:39:10 AM »

Good Morning you all!!! Thought I would throw a few pictures out to some of you. Don't know if anyone has seen these or not..but thought they were very interesting as to some of us have been discussing these very same topics. Also, today marks the 80th anniversary of Amelia Earhart's receiving the Distinquished Flying Cross Award. Anyway, below are some of the pictures on some of the things we have been discussing bout. Really curious to know what that is that Harry Mantz and Amelia are holding? Is that a sextant? Also, the other photograph shows Amelia and another man next to the directional finder. Is this how long the wire runs between the transmitter and box?  Anyway, enjoy the photos!!!!
Manning is holding a Bausch and Lomb bubble octant but that is a different type from the Pioneer bubble octant used by Noonan.

gl
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:56:19 AM by Gary LaPook »

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »

"...Is this how long the wire runs between the transmitter and box?"
The "wire" seen in the photo runs from the antenna to the antennna controller (in the man's hands in Randy's pictures at the top of this thread).  The Receiver, not the transmitter, connected to the controller, and through it to the antenna.  The loop antenna was only used for receiving.  The controller was mounted on the instrument panel, where it stuck out in a convenient place for Amelia to operate it  (I'll try to find the photo).  The controller rotated the antenna and indicated what direction the antenna was pointing.  It also allowed the number of turns of wire inside the antenna to be selected for best frequency sensitivity.
Correction - a normally reliable source tells me that the controller only provided tuning of the coil, using capacitors, and such.  Rotation was by other means, possibly a handle sticking out from the antenna through the cabin roof.
Nice clear view of Amelia's shoe.
Cheers,
JohnO

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:39:17 PM by John Ousterhout »

Michael Calvin Powell

• T1
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »

That direction finder picture also has a good view of Amelia's shoe - with the lighter heel that some assume was a replacement similar to the cat's paw heel found on Niku.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/29_ShoeFetish1/29_ShoeFetish1.html
Tighar Researcher

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »

Hey Michael and John...Thanks for the insight on Amelia's shoes. I went looking this afternoon and found two good additional pics of her shoes. Apparently, from what I noticed she must have had quite the selection. Anyway, hope these stir up a good conversation!!!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »

Oops!!! I correct myself on the name Mantz! It's Manning! Sorry!!!!

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »

All,
Keep in mind that if the "stuff" we are seeing/suggesting has come from the cockpit the Electra was totally torn apart on the reef before she went over the side!
Ted Campbell

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

That direction finder picture also has a good view of Amelia's shoe - with the lighter heel that some assume was a replacement similar to the cat's paw heel found on Niku.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/29_ShoeFetish1/29_ShoeFetish1.html

Wow, it's chilling to think- what if that very heel in that picture is the one found on Niku...?

Great pics, thanks Randy!

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:00:13 PM »

Talking of picture's of interest, look at this one for sale on ebay

Can you honestly say that is Amelia Earhart ? :o
very strange image indeed  :)

Richie, I modified your post and put your link to e-Bay on Amelia's name to save space on the thread.

Doc
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:07:01 PM by Bob Lanz »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »

this is original image by different seller

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:09:09 PM by Bob Lanz »

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »

I added another pic of Amelia..this time with the bottom of her shoe being shown! Hope this helps in anyway!!!                       

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »

Okay! This is my final shoe pic. But, think its a real good one considering you can actually see the bottom of it! Also, here is a good video of Amelia flying the autogyra for the very first time!!! Never seen this video before until last night!  Also, written article about Amelia and her passion for adding stuff to her outfits, like buttons and etc! Enjoy!!!!

www.npg.si.edu/exhibit/earhart/pop-ups/07.html

www.npg.si.edu/exhibit/earhart/pop-ups/vid_02_autogyro.html
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:34:14 AM by Randy Conrad »

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 03:04:10 AM »

Let me guess!!! Amelia tested this thing!!! Enjoy!!!!

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »

Found these two pictures in the Kansas room at the Hays Public Library in Hays. Thought you might find the unfinished Electra plane interesting with the cross braces along the outside of the plane and the steel pieces criss crossing where the fuel tanks would go. Question...these steel pieces shown at the conference...are these cross supports for the plane?

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »

Question...these steel pieces shown at the conference...are these cross supports for the plane?

That's the main spar of the wing, and that is aluminium.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org