Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fish Traps  (Read 34348 times)

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
Re: Fish Traps
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 02:49:25 AM »

for those interested in Fish Traps on Niku, here is a photo of what Tom King believes is a fish trap.

Andrew

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 04:51:50 AM »

for those interested in Fish Traps on Niku, here is a photo of what Tom King believes is a fish trap.

Andrew

Certainly looks like one to me - but don't take my word for it I've only ever seen a couple of dozen. Is this the one on the western side of the lagoon near where the PISS village was?

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 06:34:04 AM »

Yup, I think it is the only one we've found.

see screenshot below

amck

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 06:46:37 AM »

Yup, I think it is the only one we've found.

Thanks. They are pretty rough and ready devices and once built they'll last for a long time, the only maintenance is clearing the silt out. Some I was investigating along the southern shores of the Gulf of Carpentaria seemed to attract horrible great stingrays which would submerge in the silt - I made a mental note not to go paddling in them  ;D .

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »

Malcolm,

have you come accross the use of wooden/woven fish traps or weirs in the south pacific?  I only ask as that is a very european form of fishing in estury environments.

Not personally, although that doesn't rule them out if suitable easily woven material is at hand.

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
Gatty and Noonan
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »

Regarding survival skills in the Central Pacific, does anyone know if Fred Noonan corresponded with colleague and friend Harold Gatty preparing for this trip?  (pretty sure Gatty was in New Zealand in spring/summer 1937).
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org