Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Electra Handling?  (Read 103943 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Electra Handling?
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »

A picture of the reef suspected to be landing spot.

It looks very inviting Gregory, until the tide comes in. Take a look to the left, not much room to park a plane to avoid the water.
This must be the place

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 04:46:22 PM »

3971R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »

I believe the R-1430 is a transposition of R-1340-S1H1 which is the 600 HP Radial.  I  am more inclined to believe what I read as to which engine was in AE's Electra 10-E powered by Pratt & Whitney "R-1340" Wasp S3H1, 600 hp (450 kw) each; 15 produced.  "The version used by Amelia Earhart."

OK, I've corrected the typo in view of the information given in the wikipedia entry.

I say this because there is a plethora of erroneous information on Wiki.

I'd be happy to correct errors, if you can show that they are, in fact, errors.

I can post the link to my research but I am unable to figure out how to insert a link on this forum being so new to me.  If you could help me with that I would appreciate it.

How to insert links into posts.

Meanwhile, here is the evidence that the engine only produced 550 HP in 1937. Source: "Data for Dec '35 and May '41 are from P&W power curves for the S3H1/R-1340-AN-1 engines. The remaining three dates represent information taken from P&W data sheets for the S3H1 engine. With the advent of higher octane fuel, Pratt & Whitney was able to increase rated power from 550 to 600 horsepower (with one temporary excursion to 610 horsepower)."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:40:50 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 03:40:48 AM »

I never got an answer for my question, did the L10E have a locking tailwheel?

gl

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 08:10:08 AM »

I say this because there is a plethora of erroneous information on Wiki.

Bob, I figure your use of the intensive word "plethora" was the trigger for Marty's response to you.  He created the Ameliapedia wiki and fed into it much of the text, and if you've discovered a "plethora" of erroneous information, he as the editor (and I, playing his assistant -- think Marty Feldman in "Young Frankenstein"  ;) ) would be very interested to learn what information needs to be examined for adjustment.  As Marty noted, he has already corrected the typo concerning the transposition of the digits for the model number for the Wasp engines that you commented on.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:16:38 AM by Bruce Thomas »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2012, 10:55:03 AM »

I never got an answer for my question, did the L10E have a locking tail wheel?

Gary, according to this comment, it did not have a locking tail wheel.
Scroll down to Mon 3 Oct. 2005 17:05:44

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/forum/Forum_Archives/200510.txt

What that citation shows is that Herman de Wulf was speculating that the Electra might not have had a locking tail whee.

The next day, some dude by the name of "LaPook" asks whether anyone knows whether, in fact, the L10E had a locking tail wheel.  ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2012, 12:41:53 PM »

After re-reading de Wulf's comment, I can see that he wasn't sure since he said "it could be".  Guess now I will task myself to find the answer for sure.  BTW, I have the latest version of Firefox and spell check ain't a workin' here.

Good luck with the tail wheel question.  I searched for one minute, and decided that I wasn't going to find it.   :(

Check to make sure that you have asked Firefox to check spelling.  I have Firefox 14.0 beta.  It works.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »

BTW, I have the latest version of Firefox and spell check ain't a workin' here.

Bob, while editting a new post, right click on it and look at the context menu.  You may need to click on "Check Spelling", and then the red squiggles will show up.  Ah, I just did, and the third word of what I've typed is showing up as needing some attention.  (Darn, I just think that it ought to have two t's.)
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2012, 12:46:46 PM »

Our sources indicated that the engine was rated at 550 HP in 1937.  I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy in accounts about the rating.

Marty,
I believe the R-1430 is a transposition of R-1340-S1H1 which is the 600 HP Radial.  I  am more inclined to believe what I read as to which engine was in AE's Electra 10-E powered by Pratt & Whitney "R-1340" Wasp S3H1, 600 hp (450 kw) each; 15 produced.  "The version used by Amelia Earhart."  I say this because there is a plethora of erroneous information on Wiki.  I can post the link to my research but I am unable to figure out how to insert a link on this forum being so new to me.  If you could help me with that I would appreciate it.  Also, where the heck is the spell checker here?  I hate making typos.

Bob, TIGHAR has posted several other documents and/or references to documents that state that the P&W R-1340 S3H1 engines mounted on NR-16020, Serial No.(c/n) 1055, AE's ship, were 550 hp. The first of these is the Aircraft Inspection Report dated 5-19-37. This was the Bureau of Air Commerce report issued after the repairs necessitated by the Ford Island accident were completed. I have attached a copy of this report below and linked it here.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Documents/Reports/AircraftInspection.pdf

In the past, there has been considerable discussion of the aircraft in the thread Aircraft & Powerplant, Airworthiness Certificate(s); fuel capacity.

The first reference, link, was provided by Gary LaPook in Reply # 1 of this post on: November 24 2011.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/45417206/#45417206

Here is a link, again from Gary LaPook in the same thread, to the documents mentioned in the above video. Each of the pictures here can be to stopped for a closer look. Page numbers 18 & 19 show the Application for an Aircraft License for the aircraft. Page # 20 is a copy of the Aircraft License issued, dated Aug 15, 1937. Note that these documents all list the engines having 550 hp.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/New-Amelia-Earhart-Photos-134331928.html

In Reply # 12 of this thread, Ric Gillespie said "There is no mystery about the documents. We have copies of the same paperwork. We're still working along on getting the full file of BAC documents and correspondence relating to c/n 1055 rendered legible so that we can put it up on the TIGHAR website." Since this was dated November 25, 2011, I assume that Ric has been too busy with other things (symposium and new expedition) to complete this work or I have not been able to locate it.

Another comment about the horse power. The military uses the term METO power (maximum except take-off) to identify the absolute power setting to never exceed except for a very short time for emergency operations. I don't think this a term commomly used in civil aviation and I have never seen a civil aviation engine rated that way.

Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:52:07 PM by C.W. Herndon »

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »

Good luck with the tail wheel question.  I searched for one minute, and decided that I wasn't going to find it.   :(

That guy named "LaPook" (again!), in a reply (#10) to a post about Octane Analysis last November, provided a PDF document attachment (TC590.pdf) which contains cryptic comments about "control wheel lock" and "Tail wheel centering lock control" -- under "Class II", items 33 and 34.   Does this imply an add-on that "could" have been on NR16020, or does it mean standard equipment?
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2012, 02:23:51 PM »

Bob, I agree that the 50 hp does not make much of a difference but it comes up frequently so I thought it might need to be addressed. In any case, the topic I brought up is very interesting reading, and the two videos may cause your eye brows to raise. You have to read almost everything to understand the videos completely.

Now you have scared me off with your title. :o
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:32:50 PM by C.W. Herndon »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »

I agree Bruce. That "guy named LaPook" comes up everywhere.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »

Bob, the PDF is actually attached to  Gary LaPook's Reply # 11.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2012, 03:44:04 PM »

Bruce, for some reason, I don't see a pdf attachment in reply #10.  I would like to read it.

I don't know what you and Woody are looking at.  As you can see (below), when I click on that link it clearly says reply #10.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »

Bruce, I don't know what is going on. When I click on the link in your original post, I see the same message you show here but the number is "Reply # 11". I have checked it several times and it's the same.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:34:41 PM by C.W. Herndon »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org