Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Above ground artifact search?  (Read 91007 times)

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
Above ground artifact search?
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

As part of the pre wedding events for my nephew's wedding in Sarasota, Florida, a few years ago, there was a golf outting. My brother had just hit his approach shot onto the green. I was standing just off the green. A large black bird then swooped down onto the green and picked up my brother's ball and carried it up into one of the trees behind the green. We mentioned this to some people working in the pro shop. They told us that is not unusual. Others have lost such things as watches(Rolex) and car keys. Perhaps there could be something of Amelia's in one of the trees on Nikumaroro?

I edited my original post on March 14, 2013, by changing blackbird to black bird.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:42:52 PM by Jeffrey Allen Pearce »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Above ground artifact search?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »

As part of the pre wedding events for my nephew's wedding in Sarasota, Florida, a few years ago, there was a golf outting. My brother had just hit his approach shot onto the green. I was standing just off the green. A large blackbird then swooped down onto the green and picked up my brother's ball and carried it up into one of the trees behind the green. We mentioned this to some people working in the pro shop. They told us that is not unusual. Others have lost such things as watches(Rolex) and car keys. Perhaps there could be something of Amelia's in one of the trees on Nikumaroro?

That would be wonderful.

Strange things do happen, I suppose.

But I doubt very much that you will persuade folks who set foot on the island to search every part of every tree.  If there is something that got there by a very strange coincidence, it will probably only be found by an equally strange coincidence.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:31:14 PM »

It can get your juices flowing to think that Amelia's watch could be up in one of those trees on Nikumaroro. I'm wondering, if that bird in Sarasota had seen Amelia's watch on the ground on Nikumaroro with Amelia not in the immediate vicinity, I think I know what would have happened next. Onward and upward!

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »

I have learned that the Bowerbird is known for collecting shinny objects, including spoons, possibly to attract a mate. This bird is found in New Guinea and parts of Australia. I have not been able to learn if it is on Nikumaroro.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »

I have learned that the Bowerbird is known for collecting shinny objects, including spoons, possibly to attract a mate. This bird is found in New Guinea and parts of Australia. I have not been able to learn if it is on Nikumaroro.

The Ameliapedia is underdeveloped in its treatment of Niku's fauna.  Tom King wrote, "Common bird species include snowy tern (kiakia in I Kiribati), Frigate Birds (Boobie, Gannet), and Red-Tailed Tropic Birds."  That doesn't mean that there are no Bowerbirds, just that if they are present, they seem to be outnumbered by the other species.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:08:01 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:31:23 AM »

Thanks, Marty. I'll do more looking. I may try to find something shinny the next time I want to attract Julia.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »

Tough crabs can climb trees it kind of makes sense to hoist stuff off the ground and away from the critters (i love that word).

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »

Thanks, Marty. I'll do more looking. I may try to find something shinny the next time I want to attract Julia.

Good luck!  I was sitting in front of her in full view, and all that my shiny bald head got from Julia was a copy of her DVD.  :D
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »

LOL__----Bruce thats funny!!!! I was there!!
tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »

Good luck!  I was sitting in front of her in full view, and all that my shiny bald head got from Julia was a copy of her DVD.  :D

Does the DVD have pictures?
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 05:41:55 AM »

Late night TV talk needs you badly, Bruce!

The satin Bowerbird finds blue objects, bottle tops were mentioned, to put in its nest. Also shells. Is this bird on Nikumaroro? Blue favorite color of AME? Blue watch would do just fine. Maybe other birds indigenous to Nikumaroro practice thieveory?

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »

Amelia Earhart was flying toward Howland Island through skies that are the home of some champion bird flyers. Some stay aloft for weeks, only going to an island to breed. Some rest on ships for a few hours, then return to the sky.

The Frigatebird is a known thief of other's nest building materials. I have not found much information on the breeding process or information that goes into detail about the lives of the various species on land.

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »

The bird population may have been different on Nikumaroro in 1937. The introduction of man to the island might have had some impact although possibly not.

Jeffrey Pearce

• T3
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 07:48:55 AM »

It is known, page 377 in East To The Dawn by Susan Butler, that Mrs Earhart was wearing a gray, brown, and blue colored shirt on her trip from Oakland to Hawaii. A Bowerbird would have been interested in the blue.

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 09:22:14 PM »

It is known, page 377 in East To The Dawn by Susan Butler, that Mrs Earhart was wearing a gray, brown, and blue colored shirt on her trip from Oakland to Hawaii. A Bowerbird would have been interested in the blue.

A bowerbird is unlikely as they are restricted to Australia and New Guinea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowerbird
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org