Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU VII  (Read 210011 times)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: NIKU VII
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2012, 07:27:16 AM »

Agreed Jeff---but NOTHING on Discoverys site. You would think they would put something out there. Also---has anyone seen an update on TIGHARS Facebook page? I keep getting stuf from late in the expedition.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »

Ok---my stupidity is going to show-----but WHY August 19, a month after the expedition to showcase what was found? Why not analyze the footage better before announcing a show date?

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »

Yes 30 days never seemed like enough time. And they set the date of the show while they on the way back. Could it be they found something on the way back while looking at the "interesting things" so went ahead and set the time?  If so then why the question mark after the Mystery solved? Why the lack of a major announcement by Discovery Channel (so far) etc. Could it be they found aircraft weckage in looking at the images later, but not enough info and clarity to tie it for certain to the Electra?
Only a few more days to see.
3971R

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #333 on: August 15, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »

Yes 30 days never seemed like enough time.

Unless it was obvious.

Could it be they found something on the way back while looking at the "interesting things" so went ahead and set the time? 

I would suspect they were going to do a show regardless of what was or wasn't found. Haven't we all seen enough of such shows on Discovery etc. that serve only to tease about potential solutions and discoveries?

If so then why the question mark after the Mystery solved? Why the lack of a major announcement by Discovery Channel (so far) etc. Could it be they found aircraft weckage in looking at the images later, but not enough info and clarity to tie it for certain to the Electra?

Well, think about it. If i recall correctly they set out with the deliberate claim that nothing would be retrieved for analysis during this expedition so any corroboration and subsequent conclusion would be by visable means only. Wasn't that the same level of proof that Ballard presented when he "found" PT 109?. Without rock solid, documentable proof - the smoking gun as it were - best had by in hand analysis of evidence, then there's still the possibility that the mystery hasn't been solved.  anthying less than 100% certainty means you still don't know:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJohCpifELE

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »

Some good points raised there Gregory. The suspense issue goes a long way in boosting viewing figures for sure and, Discovery Channel being a major sponsor, I see their point.
We spent around 6 months dismantling 2-3 minutes of video footage. This trip there is hundreds of hours of footage to trawl through so it will take time. There's probably no point in delaying the show until it has all been digested and, while the expedition is still fresh in people's minds.
I like the point you raised regarding the question mark?
The suspense...
This must be the place

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »

Dave, I would think if that was from the Norwich it would be more rust colored and not light colored as in aluminum from a plane.  The circular objects could be for the fuel filling ports.  I think there were three fuel tanks in each wing.

Bob, yes three fuel tanks per wing but there were only two fuel filling ports and they were in the engine nacelles.

Woody, that could have been a revision when they added the 102 gal. tanks in each wing.  I don't recall ever seeing refueling points in engine nacelles.  We need an actual picture of a non re-fitted LE 10 to see where they are.  I don't have time to do it today, maybe you could find one or someone here already knows where one is.  In any event those pictures are encouraging.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »

Richie wrote: 
hey guys here is sneak preview  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/finding-amelia-earhart-mystery-solved-discovery_n_1776233.html

hey thanks, Richie!  VERY tantilizing clip there.  Makes me wonder if it is possible that the Discovery contract would indeed delay the announcement of a major find?

I've a hunch, though that the time-code would match up with the Team's examination of a object that apparently turned out to be confirmed as from the N.C.   That would not be atypical "created suspense" from Discovery Channel.

Regardless, can't wait to see the show!!

LTM,
dp

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #337 on: August 15, 2012, 10:48:32 AM »

I would suspect they were going to do a show regardless of what was or wasn't found.

That's right.  Discovery sees value in covering the process.

Haven't we all seen enough of such shows on Discovery etc. that serve only to tease about potential solutions and discoveries?

If you're not interested in what happened, don't watch the show.

Well, think about it. If i recall correctly they set out with the deliberate claim that nothing would be retrieved for analysis during this expedition so any corroboration and subsequent conclusion would be by visable means only. Wasn't that the same level of proof that Ballard presented when he "found" PT 109?. Without rock solid, documentable proof - the smoking gun as it were - best had by in hand analysis of evidence, then there's still the possibility that the mystery hasn't been solved.  anthying less than 100% certainty means you still don't know.

What Bob Ballard claims is up to Bob Ballard.  We made the decision not to recover artifacts on this trip because the recovery and conservation of artifacts is a completely separate process than searching for them. Wreckage is often tricky to recover without damaging or losing it completely and aircraft aluminum that has been immersed in salt water for 75 years is highly unstable. It would be irresponsible to recover it without being ready to conserve it, and we can't be prepared to recover conserve something that is unknown. 
You can rest assured that, regardless of what we have found or may find, I will not proclaim anything to be a "smoking gun."  That's not my call.  That's up to each individual to decide based upon the evidence presented.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #338 on: August 15, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »

[
Haven't we all seen enough of such shows on Discovery etc. that serve only to tease about potential solutions and discoveries?

If you're not interested in what happened, don't watch the show.

I think you've read something into my statement that was not intended. Relax, I'm on your side.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #339 on: August 15, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »

Hey Ric---a  ;D would be nice!!!!!

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »

Hey Ric---a  ;D would be nice!!!!!

Tom

Am sure you can wait for Sunday  ;)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #341 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »

not much choice richie. But you know what------I think Ive seen this screenshot pic before. I think you posted something very similiar early on in the video thread. Now that would be something.

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »

Regarding those very interesting shots in the Huffington Post teaser, I'm thinking the following quote from the 20 July item on Discovery News might be relevant:

"Disappointingly, two promising targets identified a couple of days ago, turned out to be a large coral boulder and a much degraded piece of the Norwich City's keel."

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »

Alan you may end up being correct, but my friend Jeff Nevill told me to be optimistic---so I am.
Getting the popcorn ready for Sunday nite

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »

Woody, that could have been a revision when they added the 102 gal. tanks in each wing.  I don't recall ever seeing refueling points in engine nacelles.  We need an actual picture of a non re-fitted LE 10 to see where they are.  I don't have time to do it today, maybe you could find one or someone here already knows where one is.  In any event those pictures are encouraging.

Doc, I don't recall seeing many pictures of refueling of the wing tanks. Picture #1 shows part of the defueling of the electra after the Luke Field accident with the refueling door open and one of the fuel caps on the cowling.

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,263

Picture #2 shows mechanics preparing to refuel the starboard side fuel tanks.

http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/u?/earhart,437

Here is the link to the TIGHAR Research Bulletin that describes the NR16020 fuel system.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/61_FuelSystem/61_FuelSystem.htm
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up

Copyright 2019 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org