Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: NIKU VII  (Read 274649 times)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
Re: NIKU VII
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2012, 06:27:30 AM »

let me ask you malcolm----would you put your reputation on the line, alot of your own money, lots of time, effort, sweat into a project like this, OR would you rather conjure up a a hoax, spend someone elses millions, just for some TV time, a picture with Sec. Clinton, and some WONDERFUL vacation time in paradise at a luxury resort on Nikumaroro?
 Tell you what-----Lets go to New Brittan---you do the fund raising, and some of your own money, get your picture taken with -------(who;s the young dude in North Korea?), and lets hike to where ever the resort is in New Brittan to look for your wreck for evidence that it actually came from Alpha Centauri.  I'm in----oh---I need a plane ticket too.

Give us a break. have you ever met Ric and Pat? Thought so. I have, as well a alot of members here. If you are going to make a accusation like that-----you might want to tell it to their face and be a man.

Email me for my address to sent the plane ticket--
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »

Most data and information takes time to analyse, it would be worthless if you did otherwise.
This must be the place

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »

We all live in the modern media age and we all know the difference between advertising spin and reality.

...and then there's the kind of spin that certain individuals attempt to advance in support of their own personal "reality," in a seemingly obsessive effort to suck away energy from a legitimate endeavour.

....one kind is designed to build-up in the name of advancing knowledge... the other just an illegitimate muse to try to tear it down...

...and so it goes...

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »

KoK's deck log for 7/24/2012 describes some unpleasant surface conditions:
BUCKING STRONG HEAD
WINDS 2O-25 KTS WITH HIGHER GUSTS.  TRYING TO MAKE ETA HONOLULU
 AFTERNOON OF SUNDAY, JULY 29TH.

But of course, today Time Magazine's reporter knows better:
On Tuesday The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery landed back in Hawaii, empty-handed, after a nearly three-week-long expedition.

Great job, reporter Tim Newcomb.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »

What can ye say they have to sell news,

However at least let them get back to shore before releasing a story like that  ???
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:54 PM »

Damn Malcolm---not only are you a 'archaeologist' but you have ESP, and a chrystal ball as well. You can see the results of the trip before the data has been extracted. If thats the case----give all of us the answers. ---or go about your merry way

No Tom - just mildly curious as to why the original diary entry was rewritten with a totally different meaning. When that happens people will ask questions like that, and in fact I think the more that do the better.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2012, 06:17:31 AM »

That is a good point Malcolm, and I have been curious about that too. Guess I misunderstood what you meant. Appologies. Does seem to me however, that the Dailies I'm seeing are different that what you and others are seeing. Never saw a daily where the seas were rough and the winds high----just that the captain had increased speed. So---I can see where there is room for seeing things alittle differently.
Tom

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2012, 09:44:34 AM »

That is a good point Malcolm, and I have been curious about that too. Guess I misunderstood what you meant. Appologies. Does seem to me however, that the Dailies I'm seeing are different that what you and others are seeing. Never saw a daily where the seas were rough and the winds high----just that the captain had increased speed. So---I can see where there is room for seeing things a little differently.
Tom

Tom, I think where that came from is on the DAILY REPORT FOR WEDNESDAY, JULY 25, 2012

WEATHER: CLOUDY
 WIND: 080 T // 22 KTS// SEA STATE: 5 // SWELL: MIX // 10  FT.
 BAROMETER: 29.85 IN // TEMP: 80 DEG F. COMMENTS: UNDERWAY FOR HONOLULU.  RUNNING ON SCRS #2 AND #3
 SCR #1 OPERATIONAL.   CONTINUING AT 215 SHAFT RPM PORT, 225
 SHAFT RPM STBD.  BUCKING  SEAS AND SWELLS. STILL TRYING TO MAKE
 ETA HONOLULU  AFTERNOON  OF SUNDAY, JULY 29TH. NEED TO MAKE
 GOOD 7.8-7.9 KTS FOR AFTERNOON ARRIVAL. WEATHER IS  FORECAST
 TO IMPROVE SOME OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »

I see that now----I forgot how to get to the deck logs. Found it!
Thanks---gee it woul dbe EASIER if they woudl just tell us something!
i know, I know---delayed gratification

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #249 on: July 28, 2012, 01:36:49 AM »

I see that now----I forgot how to get to the deck logs. Found it!
Thanks---gee it woul dbe EASIER if they woudl just tell us something!
i know, I know---delayed gratification

This is the current wording for the 21st -

Seas are a bit rough but we’re still averaging 9 knots pounding our way homeward. We crossed the equator at 22:05Z (12:05 KOK). In this location, the equator is also the boundary of Kiribati and, therefore, an east/west dogleg in the International Dateline. Although we have stayed on Hawaii time for convenience, officially today was the 22nd before we crossed the equator. July 22 is team member Tim Mellon’s birthday so he has now had one birthday this year and he’ll get another one tomorrow.

In addition to catching up on sleep, everyone is compiling and organizing data, video imagery, and still photos. The Discovery guys are reviewing and editing their footage and, in some cases, shooting additional material to fill gaps.

We won’t actually know what we might have on either the sonar data or on the HD video until some time after we get back to the States. There is a mountain of material to get through, and real time isn’t anything like sufficient to see and understand all the images and information we’ve collected. So the results of the expedition are truly not known. No big shiny silver airplane, obvious to all, but the data on the various storage devices may hold treasures.

The original was a lot less upbeat, in fact rather pessimistic. This current version appeared a few hours after the original without explanation - the original appears to have been the one that some media picked up.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »

I recieved this article today via a link e-mailed to me by one of my colleagues who works for the ESA on consultancy basis. Having read through it I noticed it relates to Data and information gathered and, the analysis of said data and information.
It's one of the big questions: Are we alone on this blue marble or is there life elsewhere in the cosmos? To shed some light, astronomers are searching for habitable worlds circling far-off stars.

A team has now published updated evidence for a planet that could be the most Earth-like yet. According to the US Planetary Habitability Laboratory, it would be the fifth potentially habitable world known outside our Solar System.
So what do we know about these five Earth-like planets, and how likely is it that they could support life?

The discovery of Gliese 581g was announced in September 2010 by a US-led team. But as soon as they made the announcement, doubts began to surface. The team at the Geneva observatory which had discovered all four other planets around the star Gliese 581 failed to detect it in their own data. However, the original discoverers of 581g have now published an analysis using a greater amount of data to provide more promising evidence for its existence. [/b]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19008908

Life on another planet? An Earth like planet? The closest yet to being an Earth like planet?
No, it doesn't prove anything except, the benefits and advantages of studying all the data and information that you have collected, thoroughly over the period of time needed to extract the details.
This must be the place

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:00:39 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #251 on: July 28, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »

Life on another planet? An Earth like planet? The closest yet to being an Earth like planet?
No, it doesn't prove anything except, the benefits and advantages of studying all the data and information that you have collected, thoroughly over the period of time needed to extract the details.

So are you saying that Amelia was abducted by aliens from another world or that data should be analysed?  ;D

Of course analysis is required, but I do rather hope that we are not descending into a situation as I mentioned once before which is the making of one of those dreadful "scientific" documentaries where some narrator with a deep voice intones about all the possibilities that said data indicates but finishes with "and we will have to wait until next whenever for the final pieces in this puzzle". That is not science or history, that is soap opera.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: July 28, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »

I do rather hope that we are not descending into a situation as I mentioned once before which is the making of one of those dreadful "scientific" documentaries where some narrator with a deep voice intones about all the possibilities that said data indicates but finishes with "and we will have to wait until next whenever for the final pieces in this puzzle". That is not science or history, that is soap opera.

That is a fact-free belief--an opinion.  It is not based on the area where you have credentials.

It seems to me that much of science has to wait for "final pieces" of puzzles to be found so that they can be fit into place.  Consider, for example, the work being done on dark matter and dark energy.  There is no shortcut to solving the problems for which those theories are suggested answers.

It is not unusual in research for one to be incapable of predicting when the work will be complete.  TIGHAR is not manufacturing data to fit its hypothesis.  It is testing its theory by searching where one would expect to find evidence if the hypothesis is true.  There is no "science clock" by which one can measure how long the search will take.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »

Well, as the name of the channel implies, Discovery. What were you expecting it to be called, Solved?
And, no sign of J R Ewing, yet ;)
This must be the place

Bill Roe

• T3
« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »

Marty's points are point-on.

You know, respectfully I must disagree.

Marty is comparing science related to solving a curiosity as opposed to solving a science that will benefit mankind.  The Discovery Channel is entertainment.  And entertainment directed at a particular segment of the population.  They, as other entertainment venues, are profit driven.  And they'll exploit a subject just as handily as the Playboy Channel.

{Um......I'm trying to remember what the Playboy Channel is about....... ;)}
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org