Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Electra Fuel Tanks  (Read 59912 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Re: Electra Fuel Tanks
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 01:24:24 AM »

Here is a picture I found this evening of the fuel tanks from inside the Electra!!! Also, notice the black box in the upper right hand corner next to the fuel tank R1. This picture is very interesting!!!

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 01:44:17 AM »

Any date for the picture Randy? Ideas for black box?
This must be the place

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 02:10:19 AM »

Here is a picture I found this evening of the fuel tanks from inside the Electra!!! Also, notice the black box in the upper right hand corner next to the fuel tank R1. This picture is very interesting!!!
Great find, we haven't seen that picture before. It should be possible to date it because the configuration of the compass above the instrument panel changed a number of times.

gl

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 02:59:08 AM »

Sorry guys...I don't have a date on that!! But, I do wanna point something out that I brought up several weeks back bout a black box that I saw on one of the images. Some people insisted it was a toolbox. I'll let you decide!!!! Also, look at the drawing of the Electra!!!

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 03:57:51 AM »

Randy, check out this previous post ref the black box mounted above the fuel tank.

http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,504.msg6949.html#msg6949
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 06:12:28 AM by C.W. Herndon »

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »

Can someone direct me to a description of the controls that were used to switch among fuel tanks. First for the standard  tanks, and Second, for the added tanks in the fuselage. Were the controls electrical using actuators, or were there some physical methods. While the standards would have been operable from cockpit, were the added tanks also? Did about two hours of search on  the site but haven't found any answer to this one.  I'd also like info on the actuators such as manufacturer and part no., and esp. a drawing. Same for the switch used in cockpit.

Thanks

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »

Can someone direct me to a description of the controls that were used to switch among fuel tanks. First for the standard  tanks, and Second, for the added tanks in the fuselage. Were the controls electrical using actuators, or were there some physical methods. While the standards would have been operable from cockpit, were the added tanks also? Did about two hours of search on  the site but haven't found any answer to this one.  I'd also like info on the actuators such as manufacturer and part no., and esp. a drawing. Same for the switch used in cockpit.

Thanks

Detail of Fuel Valves NR16020

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/61_FuelSystem/61_FuelSystem.htm
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »

Thanks Doc.
Any idea where we might find details on the actuators and switches/selectors?
Mike

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »

Thanks Doc.
Any idea where we might find details on the actuators and switches/selectors?
Mike

Mike, best I could find.  First pic is Miami 1937.  Second pic is Linda Finch's Electra #1015 refitted for her around the world flight.  I can't find a picture of the floor fuel selectors.  It appears that Linda Finch's are somewhat different than AE's.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:43:42 PM by Bob Lanz »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »

First pic is Miami 1937.

I don't think so. See "The 'Miami' Cockpit Photo."

Still, I don't think the selector valves changed.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »

First pic is Miami 1937.

I don't think so. See "The 'Miami' Cockpit Photo."

Still, I don't think the selector valves changed.

Ric, I got that picture from the below site.  Now that I look at the text above it, it seems that maybe this picture was taken in Oakland before she left for Honolulu.  Apparently whoever posted the picture had their wires crossed.  However, if you look closely at the selector switches in both pictures I posted earlier, they appear to be a little different in Finch's Electra than AE's, is what I meant.

http://annoyzview.wordpress.com/tag/lockheed-electra-10e/

http://annoyzview.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/01_miami_cockpit.jpg?w=300&h=221
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 12:35:28 AM »

Sorry, Doc, second pic did not show up.
Mike

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »

The three fuselage control heads are just under the left edge of the co-pilot's seat, as shown in the attached HD still of the cockpit area, and also in the Harney drawings.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:32:56 PM by Tim Mellon »

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »

Thanks Doc & Tim,
I must still be inartful in my question. What you are showing are the faces of the selectors that tell the operator which tank.

What I wanted to see are two items:

First is the insides of those selectors. An IPB (illustrated parts breakdown) of those selectors showing mechanics, and electrical schematics.

(Of course, I understand that IPBs were rare in the mid 30's. Mfgr's equivalent will do.)

Second, a question: Is an IPB (or equiv.) available of the actual valve that opens and closes a particular tank, including its electrical schematic. Is it a disk, or a cone, or a block . . . etc. I want to see the mechanics of the valve. 

I suspect that since Lockheed Burbank did the modifications for long range to EA's c/n 1055 (and c/n 1065, the "Daily Express) that the actuators on the added tanks were the same as on the standard tanks -- or maybe not? Must have cost that publishing company a few simoleans to get all of that extra tubing installed. Tubing is a b***h.

Anyway, all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

PS. re simoleans, see  http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-sim1.htm

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 05:35:24 AM »

Sorry, Mike, can't help. When I used ferry tanks in my Aerostar, they installed manual valves for each tank and a simple on-off switch for the electric pump. Simple.

:)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org