Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos from Symposium  (Read 95655 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: Photos from Symposium
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »

Great group photo's.  Some people's pictures i've seen and some not.  Funny the image the mind congures based on posts and misc. information.

Keep up the good work   ;D

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »

Are the 2 images of 'Nessie' shown here from the recent scans of the original by Jeff?
I say that because there's something not quite right with these 2 images, apart from 'Nessie' obviously.
This must be the place

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:50:54 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Heath Smith

• T4
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »

Jeff,

What do you mean something is not quite right about those images?

If anyone is attending the symposium and reading this, can you tell me if they have estimated the size of Nessie? Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:22:48 AM by Heath Smith »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 11:48:34 AM »

Jeff,

What do you mean something is not quite right about those images?

If anyone is attending the symposium and reading this, can you tell me if they have estimated the size of Nessie? Thanks.

Well, without doing any enhancements at all Heath, this is the image straight from Irv. The area in the blue box is the area that looks strange to me. I am happy with the rest of the image, wave action looks normal, shadows look normal, wave crests normal, angle of wave lines the same and so on, all normal. Inside the blue box that doesn't seem to apply. And of course there is 'Nessie'.
First image is as Irv posted
Second image is as Irv posted but with the area in question outlined in blue
If you need anything pointed out Heath I can post the images, again without any enhancement
This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »

Jeff,

so what are you saying?

Wave swell looks OK to me, we don't know whats under that area.  Thought I could see a wing though  ;D

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 11:57:59 AM »

The photos are from a blown up poster of the photo. I asked Jeff Glickman what copy the poster is from and he didn't know. His talk comes up at 4.30 pm local time. Will shoot all slides that he puts up n
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 11:59:34 AM »

Chris, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something beneath the surface at this location which is affecting the wave actions. Have a look at these images that show the strange appearance of the surface of the water.
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »

And again
This must be the place

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 12:05:54 PM »

Again, none of these images have had any enhancements...

This must be the place

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »

It reminds me of a swell over a depression

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »

The Waitt Institute Target 1 versus the Monte Carlo actual position... pretty close

This must be the place

Ricker H Jones

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »

Irv, your play by play photos are really great and much appreciated. Thanks!  There was also a nice piece on the West Coast feed of tonight's ABC Evening News on the Symposium highlighting the Freckle Cream jar, a snippet of Ric, and some Earhart newsreel clips.
Rick J

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »

I believe Jeff Glickman said the part above the water surface was approximately 24 inches and the darker piece (presumably a tire) was 36 inches wide.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed--the research and analysis has been superb but the end results were a bit of a letdown.  As higher and higher resolutions of the Bevington photo were shown, the analogy that struck me was the face on Mars.  The original photo looks a lot like a landing gear.  As the resolution was increased, I thought it looked less and less likely.  Others may feel differently.
It's not too late to be great.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »

Heath, Jeff Glickman was the final speaker for today.  He had a very professional slide show and I was very impressed with his presentation and presence at the lectern.  He showed the same picture I previously posted a link to, of himself "shooting" the original photo pasted into the photo album that is held at Oxford University (the photos had been sent by Eric Bevington back home to his parents in England, and I presume they were the ones who pasted them into the album; the negatives were apparently lost when the Japanese swept into Tarawa a few years later).  The original photo is surprisingly small, not at all the large format implied by the various postings we've seen on the TIGHAR website ... he held his fingers up and indicated a photo about 3.5" square. 

He showed his photogrammetric work from back in 2010, pinpointing where Bevington (aboard the RCS Nimanoa) would have been when the photo was taken, as well as the location on the reef edge of the "Bevington feature".  When the expedition members in 2010 worked their way to that calculated location, there was a pronounced fissure (he used a different word that I can't recall) in the reef.

He showed a deconstruction of the four distinct pieces corresponding to the tire, the strut, the fender, and the worm gear and showed how those pieces match up neatly with the pieces of the object in the photo, indicating how deformation might have occurred similar to what happened when the Electra groundlooped in Hawaii earlier that year. 

And to answer your specific question:  the tire portion he measured out at a width of 36", matching the diameter of the actual tires on the Electra.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 03:59:50 AM »

there is a few odd shapes, just under water surface were Jeff has pointed out ?

don't no one else them ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org