Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Encrypted Telegram  (Read 8407 times)

Anthony Allen Roach

• T2
Encrypted Telegram
« on: July 10, 2012, 12:25:58 PM »

Not that it is relevant to the search for Amelia or the Electra, but I would be interested in seeing the actual encrypted text of Ruth Hampton's April 23, 1937 telegram to Richard Black.

On page 29 of Richard Gillespie's book "Finding Amelia" the encrypted telegram is discussed.  "Hampton responded with a short encrypted message.  Messages originally sent in cipher are not at all unusual among the archived official government communications relating to the Earhart flights.  All have been decoded, however, except one:  Hampton's message is the only un-decoded message among the thousands in the Earhart archives.  The cipher Hampton used is no longer available, so the telegram's content remains a mystery."  The text refers to endnote 20.  On the accompanying DVD, the actual ciphered text is omitted and replaced with [cipher].

Is there a copy of the actual cipher text floating around somewhere?  It would be fun to play with.
"Six the Hard Way."

richie conroy

• T5
Re: Encrypted Telegram
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »

Seems to me I remember a thread on this topic some time ago. Maybe a little digging might turn something up.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »

See the page 3 of the messages in this PDF ... it's the second one on the page with all the occurrences of [cipher]
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Anthony Allen Roach

• T2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »

You are correct Mr. Thomas.  It reads "POINDEXTER GOVERNOR HONOLULU HAWAII; FOR BLACK QUOTE REURAD APRIL TWENTYSECOND [CIPHER] SINGLE QUOTE [CIPHER] END SINGLE QUOTE [CIPHER] STOP [CIPHER] STOP [CIPHER] STOP [CIPHER] UNQUOTE; SIGNED HAMPTON"

The one Mr. Conroy references is actually a letter, which is different.  I tried the search function, but could only find other telegrams, and not this one.  I'm looking for that omitted cipher text.  It would be a nice puzzle for amateur cryptography.
"Six the Hard Way."

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org