Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reflections on the condition of the possibility of proving hypotheses  (Read 15520 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5

Malcolm
I'm sure Tighar will find something there. As I mentioned before there quite are a number of hypothesis regarding the missing Electra, some of which border on pure science fiction but others are more believable. The Tighar hypothesis is one of the 2 most likely scenarios, the other being the ditch/crash and sink near Howland scenario. Both have a lot of 'circumstancial evidence' but, nothing 100%, yet.
I don't always agree with other forum members points but, I respect their right to have input to trying to solve this mystery. Their opinion is as valid as mine and therefore I don't waste time deriding their input, who am I to say who is right and who is wrong, only time will tell.
If other forum members disagree with my points and opinions, no problem, that's all they have to say and, we move on.
When you see IMHO in a posting, that's just what it means. Others may see it differently but, again, that would be in their HO.
At this stage no one and nothing can be proven to be right or wrong but, the opportunity is coming and, at the end of the day as long as no one gets injured, or worse, we're all just simply involved in a process of elimination. ;)
This must be the place

LWhite

Re: Reflections on the condition of the possibility of proving hypotheses
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:48 AM »

Jeff,
Thank you for your comments.  Malcolm,  I agree with you that this thread is of little use in moving forward - proof is proof, and none of this is ever going to be proof. At best it will be pictures of proof, and that isn't acceptable.  If proof had been found, it certainly would not be posted here - it would be public.  I'll let this go to rest. All the energy spent here will not alter the outcome, so we'll wait for the outcome.  That's a lot easier.  I'm a relative newcomer here so the best thing to is defer to those with more experience and knowledge. 

And now, what about that wheel sticking out of the old photo . . .  what is that, really? ;D

Leon

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »

I must admit that by nature I am generally sceptical of theories and hypotheses until data and evidence emerges to prove or disprove them. I also admit that some times my scepticism can seem a little aggressive but that is because I am used to driving a debate to resolution rather than allowing it to hang unresolved, I can understand that this might be taken the wrong way when in fact I intended no insult. The problems of the unnuanced written word bedevil all forums.  :)

While the evidence in this matter that has been gathered is interesting it is still unfortunately circumstantial rather than conclusive. Therefore it follows that I hope that TIGHAR finds something that resolves the matter either way. If that resolves the issue in the negative then that is as welcome as a positive outcome like either finding enough wreckage to identify the Electra or skeletal material. So in the end there is nothing wrong with healthy and rigorous debate, but in the end it is the result we are seeking not the debate itself. 

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »

No worries Malcolm, we can't all agree on everything, that's how theories are thrashed out, by debate. The main thing is that we all, you included, want to see an end to this unsolved mystery. Tighars work will be tested this year and, an outcome one way or another, will be forthcoming. Either way, it is still a process of elimination, how else could it be done, there are so many theories?
This must be the place

LWhite

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »

To be clear,

I didn't know it was a debate.  I thought it was an inquiry.
I preferred it as an inquiry.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:47:12 PM »

yep leon---Its an inquiry!
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »

Ah yes but as sure as night follows day inquiries always create debate  ;)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 06:22:18 AM »

Malcolm--debates can be a good things, because they allow us to look at alternatives. Even me.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 07:33:57 AM »

Oh for heaven sakes!!!!

etc.

Leon

Well apparently they do if your reply is any indication.  :)

Inquiries lead to debates, debates lead to outcomes.

Then another question is asked and off we go again  :-\

What shall we define as "coral" for the purpose of any discussion herein.

How about that greyish white stuff in the footage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org