Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landing site  (Read 16860 times)

Evan McIntosh

• T1
Landing site
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »

First, forgive me if these questions are redundant, but I am a 'newbie' here and have not yet been able to sift through all the information. For the pilots out there, is the reef at the proposed landing site suitable in length and flat enough for a safe landing at low tide? Was the approach toward the Norwich City (from the northwest?) or over the wreck? Also, from the map data on this site, it appears that some debris from the aircraft, as reported by the later inhabitants and consistent with ocean currents and wave action, was washed toward the lagoon inlet. Has the south shore of the inlet been searched with metal detectors? Also, has anyone looked for aircraft debris trapped against the hull of the Norwich City (perhaps it is too dangerous to explore there)? Finally, there has been extensive analysis of the woman's shoe heel recovered from the 7 site. What about the man's shoe heel? Was it consistent with FNs shoe size?

Thanks,
Evan

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: Landing site
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »

On your final  2 points re shoes, neither the womans or mans shoes from the 7 siye have been seen by TIGHAR. They were reported and collected by Gallagher.

You may be mixing up the shoe parts found by TIGHAR elswhere on the island.

Do a search and have a look  :)

Evan McIntosh

• T1
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »

one of the consquences of being a newbie

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »

Don't worry i've only been researching for 12 years but i've still not got it all and am rubbish about anything to do with flying or navigation.

Keep at it and don't be frightened to ask questions, just don't be upset if you get a curt answer (BTW this forum is very understanding to some) so keep going!!!!

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »

Evan
If you have GoogleEarth. then fly to Nikumarora, Kiribati and take a look at the Island.
You'll see that the East side reef looks like a lonfg, wide runway.  If you don't have GoogleEarth, go to Google.com, find it and download it, it's free.

The North West reef (near the NC wreck) is also long enough and wide enough to land on.  The direction  in which they would have landed would have depended upon the wind direction (assuming they had enough fuel to do a "normal" approach).  A normal approach has three "legs", a "downwind" leg (i.e. flying with the wind at an altitude of about 1000 feet) parallel with the "runway", a descending "base" leg (at a right angle to the downwind leg and perpendicular to the "runway"), and a descending" final" leg at a right angle to the  base and into the wind.  In a "normal" approach the turns from downwind to base and from base to final are left hand turns.  This pattern allows the pilot to look over the terrain, obstacles if any, etc.  during the approach.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »

Evan
Let me be more precise
I used the term "Normal, it should be "Standard".
For example some landing patterns have right hand turns and would be termed "non-Standard" and some have no turns and are called "Straight-In"

Then, of course there is the "Dead Stick" Landing, i.e. no power.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 02:34:56 PM »

First, forgive me if these questions are redundant, but I am a 'newbie' here and have not yet been able to sift through all the information.

This page provides about a dozen methods of sifting through all the information on the website.

For the pilots out there, is the reef at the proposed landing site suitable in length and flat enough for a safe landing at low tide?

From pilots: "Landing on the Reef."

Also, from the map data on this site, it appears that some debris from the aircraft, as reported by the later inhabitants and consistent with ocean currents and wave action, was washed toward the lagoon inlet. Has the south shore of the inlet been searched with metal detectors?

Here is a Google search from the search page that uses the terms "lagoon metal detectors."

Also, has anyone looked for aircraft debris trapped against the hull of the Norwich City (perhaps it is too dangerous to explore there)?

What hull?

Finally, there has been extensive analysis of the woman's shoe heel recovered from the 7 site. What about the man's shoe heel? Was it consistent with FNs shoe size?

See ''Amelia Earhart's Shoes" for relevant links to material on the website.  The book is worth reading, too.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »

First, forgive me if these questions are redundant, but I am a 'newbie' here and have not yet been able to sift through all the information.

This page provides about a dozen methods of sifting through all the information on the website.

For the pilots out there, is the reef at the proposed landing site suitable in length and flat enough for a safe landing at low tide?

From pilots: "Landing on the Reef."

Also, from the map data on this site, it appears that some debris from the aircraft, as reported by the later inhabitants and consistent with ocean currents and wave action, was washed toward the lagoon inlet. Has the south shore of the inlet been searched with metal detectors?

Here is a Google search from the search page that uses the terms "lagoon metal detectors."

Also, has anyone looked for aircraft debris trapped against the hull of the Norwich City (perhaps it is too dangerous to explore there)?

What hull?

Finally, there has been extensive analysis of the woman's shoe heel recovered from the 7 site. What about the man's shoe heel? Was it consistent with FNs shoe size?

See ''Amelia Earhart's Shoes" for relevant links to material on the website.  The book is worth reading, too.

Ditto
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:59:25 AM by Chris Johnson »

Evan McIntosh

• T1
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 05:59:47 PM »

Is the Norwich City hull completely gone now?

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »

Is the Norwich City hull completely gone now?
There wasn't much left when pictures were taken 5 years ago during the Niku V expedition.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 02:00:15 AM »

Just some boilers and a few plates I beleive.

Evan,

this is the state of the wreck as of Niku VI wreck

amended as i should always link to help the newbies (an myself and others)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:25:56 AM by Chris Johnson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org