Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V2 rocket in UK harbour  (Read 10278 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
V2 rocket in UK harbour
« on: March 29, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

Norman Daly

• T1
Re: V2 rocket in UK harbour
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »

Five feet of this V-2 was sticking out of the water at low tide? How many low tides have occured since WWII? No one noticed it before? Don't you love the guy pounding on it with the hammer? To the moon Alice! 
Norm Daly
4127R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »

Yeesh ... World War II ended, what 66 years ago? And a lot of those things are STILL live, one wrong move and Boom! Just goes to show that even though they were hastily made during wartime, the mines, torpedoes, rockets, shells, etc., were well made.
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Chris Austin

• T2
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »

A fair number of the V2s broke up at the apogee of their flight. It is very likely that that is what happened to this one and that the only bit they're going to find is the motor/tail cone. I think if it was complete, at the speed it would have been travelling, it would be way deeper than this one appears to be.
Some years ago a local aviation historian located and dug up a V2 that had broken up and dropped onto the marshes on Canvey Island. The impact point was, and still is, visible as a bulged crater, where it hit the soft ground. The remains are on display outside a local museum. It was stolen a few years later, but partially recovered and is now (I believe) kept in a more secure location.
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/castlepoint/9043526.History_buff_tracks_down_island___s_stolen_V2_rocket/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:13:06 AM by Chris Austin »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »

The first V2 hit the borough of Chiswick, Stavely road I think and, there's a memorial garden near the spot where it hit. I believe the government didn't want the london population to panic so the cover story was a gas mains explosion.
This must be the place

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org