Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Earhart Search 75  (Read 84848 times)

LWhite

Re: Earhart Search 75
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »

Thank you for your reply Ric.  I thought as thorough as  TIGHAR is this couldn't have been missed, but I still wasn't sleeping well.  It is a relief, although pirates will be pirates.  You've done what can be done.

Leon

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »

Is anything being done to ensure the protection of the wreck when found?

Yes.  The Republic of Kiribati asserts ownership of all properties within their national borders.  Immediately following the State Department event on March 20, TIGHAR and the Republic of Kiribati signed an Antiquities Management Agreement that makes TIGHAR the exclusive agent for searching, recovering, and conserving all artifacts related to Amelia Earhart within the borders of Kiribati.  The high level of U.S. Government interest evident on March 20 insures that if wreckage of the plane is discovered during TIGHAR's July expedition, it will be kept under close surveillance until a recovery expedition can be mounted.  It is our hope and intention that any artifacts and/or wreckage confirmed to be related to Earhart, Noonan or the Electra ultimately be exhibited at the Smithsonian National Air 7 Space Museum.
In April 2011, David Alan Atcheson posted on the Forum about his interest in Scuba diving, and a tour group that was advertising a 2012 trip through the Phoenix Islands, including Nikumaroro (which the tour group, Pacific Expeditions, refers to still as Gardner Island).  A similar expedition had been advertised to occur about the same time as TIGHAR's Niku VI expedition in 2010.

Ric responded about 15 minutes later, noting that the advertised trip had not been properly cleared with authorities, and apparently ended up not visiting Niku.  Also, Ric had been in contact with the folks at PIPA about the group's planned visits in the summer of 2011, and it appeared that Pacific Expeditions had subsequently performed the due diligence to obtain the necessary authorizations for its 2011 trip.

Pacific Expeditions Ltd website lists two upcoming planned visits to the Phoenix Islands, including Niku: the first a Scuba diving voyage that runs from 30 May to 15 June, and the second a non-diving voyage that begins 26 June and ends 13 July.  Both potential visits would seem to be scheduled to occur before the Niku VII expedition arrives at Niku.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »

The program for the Symposium has been finalized and published on the Earhart Search 75 website.

See attached .pdf file for a thumbnail sketch.  TIGHAR would be very grateful if you would circulate this to any groups who might be interested.

Breaking news from Ric Gillespie:

"On April 26 Jeff Glickman and I will be at Rhodes House, University of Oxford to get a much better copy of the Bevington photo than we've had to work with to date. Back in 1992, Pat took copy-photos of Bevington's collection when we visited him at his retirement home in the south of England.  After Eric died, his papers and photos went to the Bodleian Library of Commonwealth and African Studies at Oxford.  In 2010, we asked the library to scan the image for us to get better resolution.  The best they could do was 600 dpi but that was a big improvement over the copy-photo.  Now we've made arrangements for Jeff to get the best image possible with the best available technology.  Our hope is that, with a better image, we can show the public what the experts have been seeing.  It's one thing to ask people to "take our word for it" that the blob in the photo is the wreckage of an Electra land gear. It's another to be able to show them the tire, the mud flap, the strut, the worm gear, etc.  Of course, a better image may show the object to be an abandoned cement mixer, but that's a risk we'll take.

"Whatever we're able to get from the high-resolution image will be revealed for the first time at Jeff's forensic imaging presentation at Earhart Search 75.  Feel free to mention all of this when promoting the symposium."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:23:21 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

Thanks Marty and team.  That's really great news. I hope to hear all about it at the symposium.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:54:46 PM by Irvine John Donald »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »

Hope to meet a bunch of you in DC.
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »

Sure wish i could be there but its too far and the wrong time of year for me.  IF the event was filmed i would be interested in buying a DVD tough.

Lisa Anne Hill

• T1
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »

I would buy a DVD also - would LOVE to go but cannot. Would love to meet you all and have a cold one (or two)..but to all who do attend, have a great time and soak up all the information for us that cannot be there!!

LTM,
Lisa ;D

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 05:14:57 AM »

so-----who is signed up?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 10:45:57 PM »

We need to circulate the attached brochure as widely as possible to drum up attendance at the Symposium.  It is just a few days away, for all practical purposes, and registration is light.

It will be a great opportunity to interview the people who have built TIGHAR from scratch and who have assembled the world's greatest collection of Earhart information.

Even if you disagree with the TIGHAR team, this is your chance to make your case in person.

I'm excited about the prospect of being there, and I've met most of the presenters through EPAC already.  It will be a great event.  Even if you can't come yourself, maybe you know someone else who would be interested.

Thanks for your consideration of this request to help get the word out.  Very much appreciated.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »

Are there any forum readers in the Toronto Ontario Canada area who are waffling?  I would be happy to connect with you and discuss why attending is a good idea. I could even cancel my airfare and drive some interested parties down and back in a van. No cost for the trip down. You're responsible for your registration and hotel. But it would save some money if it helps. Send me a personal message thru the forum. Let's have a big Canadian contingent to show our American friends we care.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Tom Swearengen

• T5
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »

You guys know what? There is a BUNCH of information here to brush up on before going to DC.
YOu really dont realize just how much information and work has been put into this, until you start studying it -AGAIN---WOW.
Tom

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2012, 05:24:26 AM »

One day to go for those of you luckey enough to be attending.  Hope you all have a great time.  No pressure but DO POST lots for those of us not attending  :)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »

Ok guys, make this conference count, you have the publics interest, publicity and press coverage. You have ALL put in a huge amount of work so good luck and best wishes.
This must be the place

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »

If anyone attending the conference is interested in taking some time to search the Naval Observatory Records for the numbers on the Sextant Box given to Fred Noonan by Harry Manning, I have the search information from their Archivist.  It is what I'd be doing if I was able to attend.
The Naval Observatory was responsible for calibrating Sextants and Octants back then.  We know that Harry gave Fred a relatively new model aircraft Octant before the last flight.  We also have a record of the numbers on the "Sextant Box" found on Niku.  What we don't know is whether the numbers on the Niku "Sextant Box" are the same as the numbers that were on the "Manning" box. The answer is (likely, or maybe only possibly) in the Naval Observatory Records, "1923-1943 (Entry 14 Record Group 78, 103 feet)"  and are sub-classified in some way I have not had experience with.
It is a search I plan to undertake the next time I'm on the opposite coast from Washington State, but that might be years from now.  Any help would be greatly appreciated by myself, and I'm sure by others as well.
LTM
Cheers,
JohnO

Ingo Prangenberg

• T2
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »

Good luck at the Symposium everybody. Are there any plans for "play by play" posts? I'm sure those attending will be rather busy, but will there be a new thread that gives the highlights?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org