Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Earhart Search 75  (Read 84894 times)

Erik

• T3
Re: Earhart Search 75
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »

I think this might be the breaking news?....

The US State department will be having a live press briefing on AE tomorrow morning Tuesday 9am.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2012/03/186037.htm

Live streaming video from what I hear.

http://video.state.gov/

Zach Reed

• T1
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »

Sounds big...saw the report on MSNBC...and then the landing page at State's website.

Talk about calling in the heavy artillery...the federal government could really provide a lot of muscle for a deep water search.

If NUMA gets involved, this could be the best Cussler novel yet...

Zach Reed

• T1
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 09:09:29 PM »

Oh, here's two key snippets from the WSJ:

"The impetus for the latest expedition is a recently discovered photo, apparently taken near Nikumaroro just months after Ms. Earhart's disappearance. Some experts believe it may show a portion of the plane's landing gear."

I take it this is above and beyond the photo we're all familiar with.

" Nonetheless, anticipated participation Tuesday by Secretary Clinton and other dignitaries suggests the photo has changed the debate. Along with representatives of the search team, renowned undersea explorer Robert Ballard is expected to express his support for the new effort. Mr. Ballard has spent decades recovering relics and finding wrecks, including the passenger liner Titanic, the German battleship Bismarck and President John F. Kennedy's PT-109 patrol boat.

The State Department said it is "working closely" with Mr. Ballard in what will be a sophisticated sonar search.
"

Well if Ballard is involved, then if there's anything to find, it will be found!

Can't wait to hear the press conference...

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »

Oh, here's two key snippets from the WSJ:

"The impetus for the latest expedition is a recently discovered photo, apparently taken near Nikumaroro just months after Ms. Earhart's disappearance. Some experts believe it may show a portion of the plane's landing gear."

I take it this is above and beyond the photo we're all familiar with.

" Nonetheless, anticipated participation Tuesday by Secretary Clinton and other dignitaries suggests the photo has changed the debate. Along with representatives of the search team, renowned undersea explorer Robert Ballard is expected to express his support for the new effort. Mr. Ballard has spent decades recovering relics and finding wrecks, including the passenger liner Titanic, the German battleship Bismarck and President John F. Kennedy's PT-109 patrol boat.

The State Department said it is "working closely" with Mr. Ballard in what will be a sophisticated sonar search.
"

Link to WSJ article.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 11:22:45 PM »

Does anyone know what time and in which time zone? and  which network?
0900 Eastern?  Standard? Daylight Saving? 0600 PDT her on the Best Coast.

Photo analysis of Nessie?
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 02:48:35 AM »

The ironic thing about this is that 'Nessie' was under TIGHARS nose for ages!

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 02:53:29 AM »

Had to re read as I missed the Bob Ballard bit.  If that is true and happens then that is exciting news.

Role on July

Just a shame we can't put a team on the island to do some more digging (however if the gun smokes then the island is likely to be picked over with more resources)

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 05:03:32 AM »

wow--I was awaken from a sound sleep by my phone---a cousin was letting me know of this. OK Ric---remind me not to play poker with you! Huge coupe to get the state dept involved. Very cool!
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 06:43:25 AM »

I think the Nessie we know today WAS discovered in a later less / uncropped version of the photo - seems like the first photo TIGHAR had did NOT include the detail so it was a more recent discovery, unless my memory is failing me.

TIGHAR jumped onto it once they were aware of the feature so I don't think Ric, Jeff Glickman, etc. were ever asleep on this.

Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words after all...

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »

probably a real bad time to ask this---since everyone is really busy, BUT--is there a tenative starting time for the symposium on Friday? For some of us, it may make the differencein flyig in on Thursday note, or friday morning.
tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »

probably a real bad time to ask this---since everyone is really busy, BUT--is there a tentative starting time for the symposium on Friday? For some of us, it may make the difference in flying in on Thursday night, or Friday morning.

You may skip as much of the conference as you wish.

The special conference website has a page about the conference that suggests that the program begins Friday afternoon and ends at Sunday noon: "Presentations and panel discussions on Friday afternoon, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning on a wide range of topics relating to Amelia Earhart, her place in history and legend, and the mystery of her disappearance."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Sheila Shigley

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »

This is just phenomenal news, folks.  I have been shouting it out at work, at home--maybe I'll take to the streets today, lol!  Really, really incredible development.  So thrilled.

Does anyone else find the timing of State's involvement rather humorously ironic...given our recent announcement of the US military's "return to the Pacific?"  Echoes of the past, but then, the past is always echoing and sometimes we just notice.

At any rate, I can't wait for more news...looking greatly forward to watching the conference (or attending if I get very lucky!!  Have a wedding coming up...wonder how hubby would feel about switching my honeymoon request from "Santa Fe" to "Earhart Conference," lol!)
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 05:07:33 AM »

Is it the "Nessie-photo" or something else? Was the "new" photo released to public? Where can I see it?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:13:32 AM by Oskar Erich Heinrich Haberlandt »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 06:16:34 AM »

Not a new photo, but a re-analysis of an old photo, particularly the part that was cropped when Ric converted it to digital.  At the time, we were trying to analyze the Norwich City which is on the right side of the photo, while the "Nessie" object is on the left side. 

Here are the two reports that have been written on this photo.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/57_Bevingtonphoto/57_HidinginSight.htm

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/58_NessieHypothesis/58_NessieHypothesis.htm

I'm sure there will be an update on the forensic analysis that has been done.

Andrew
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:22:26 AM by Andrew M McKenna »
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »

Andrew,
thank you very much for linking the "Nessie" and information. :) Well, I can hardly believe that "Nessie" should be actually the landing gear and tire. It's an old case, why was the re-analysis done now? Is there much more to see by now? Why is it now a "Smoking gun?"

Oskar
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org