Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Research Bulletin #62: Lotion Bottle (Artifact 2-8-S-2a)  (Read 101826 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Research Bulletin #62: Lotion Bottle (Artifact 2-8-S-2a)
« on: February 13, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »

New research bulletin: "Notion of a Lotion."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

C.W. Herndon

• T5
Re: Research Bulletin #62: Lotion Bottle (Artifact 2-8-S-2a)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »

Very good news!
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bruce Burton

• T1
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »

Another small piece of the jigsaw puzzle appears to fit nicely. WTG!  :)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »

A very well conducted investigation. All we need now is to find out how it and whoever owned it got there :)
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »

great work guys

do we know when they stopped putting the little stamper on the bottles, i have circled the stamp on the one found on gardner

the stamp says BIU

which i think B = Balm, I = either Italian or Illinois an unsure what u is for poss united states ?

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »

Richie - I am not seeing what you are seeing. I see what looks like an abraded area on the glass, which, considering where it was found, in the midst of a lot of coral rubble (coral is pretty abrasive stuff), seems reasonable. But I'm willing to be proven wrong.

LTM,

Monty Fowler
TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »

Richie
The Campana Company factory was built around 1936/37 and was far advanced for its time both in its architecture and its industrial functionality.  It was located on the west bank of the Fox River between Batavia and Geneva, Illinois.  At the time they envisioned it as a kingpin feature of the Batavia Industrial Unit  (BIU).

In the early '70s I worked at The Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory which was near Batavia and passed the Campana Building many times on the highway and on the River during marathon canoe races on The Fox.  At that time the building was used by the Proctor-Gamble Co.  Trivia abounds.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Diego Vásquez

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

Now just whom might have brought an Italian Balm hand lotion bottle, compact rouge and mirror and a cosmetic cream jar common to circa 1930s America to a remote campsite on Gardner Island and left them there in ruin? 

According to entries in the Carey Diary of July 13, 1937, it seems very plausible that the Campana bottle could have been brought and left by either Coast Guardsmen or islanders or both.  Carey mentioned that as the Itasca searched westward to the Gilberts for Earhart, they met with islanders on some of the islands (Tamana, Arorai) and traded their Western goods for the islanders' handicrafts.  According to Carey, "The sailors had quite a time with their sweet scented lotions --sprinkling it over the natives who craved it and accepted it in their trades."  Carey also mentioned that an island youth who had come aboard Itasca "went for the sweet smelling lotion and asked for beer."  The islanders apparently had already had some trade with Westerners as the chief was already wearing a silver belt buckle with the initials NM, and one of the men was wearing a dime store broach.  So in answer to your question "whom might have brought ...," it is conceivable that them might have brought it. 

I want to believe,

Diego V.

I want to believe.

Diego V.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:12:05 PM by Diego Vásquez »

John Kada

• T3
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »

According to entries in the Carey Diary of July 13, 1937, it seems very plausible that the Campana bottle could have been brought and left by either Coast Guardsmen or islanders or both.  Carey mentioned that as the Itasca searched westward to the Gilberts for Earhart, they met with islanders on some of the islands (Tamana, Arorai) and traded their Western goods for the islanders' handicrafts.  According to Carey, "The sailors had quite a time with their sweet scented lotions --sprinkling it over the natives who craved it and accepted it in their trades."  Carey also mentioned that an island youth who had come aboard Itasca "went for the sweet smelling lotion and asked for beer."  The islanders apparently had already had some trade with Westerners as the chief was already wearing a silver belt buckle with the initials NM, and one of the men was wearing a dime store broach.  So in answer to your question "whom might have brought ...," it is conceivable that them might have brought it. 

I want to believe,

Diego V.

Diego,

The Bushnell Papers contain a somewhat similar story:

"We paid the native laborers 50 cents per man per day and on the last day permitted a few to come aboard and trade. If the Bushnell remained in this area for a few more months, no doubt a thriving industry in native arts and craft would be revived. Shark tooth swords, baskets, mats and model canoes appear to be the most popular articles for trade."

Perhaps the crew of the Bushnell, like that of the Itasca, bartered for crafts with their sweet scented lotions. Perhaps bottles of something made by Mennen. Or maybe bottles of beer?...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:52:57 PM by John Kada »

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 02:41:16 AM »

The Bushnell Papers contain a somewhat similar story:

"We paid the native laborers 50 cents per man per day and on the last day permitted a few to come aboard and trade. If the Bushnell remained in this area for a few more months, no doubt a thriving industry in native arts and craft would be revived. Shark tooth swords, baskets, mats and model canoes appear to be the most popular articles for trade."

Perhaps the crew of the Bushnell, like that of the Itasca, bartered for crafts with their sweet scented lotions. Perhaps bottles of something made by Mennen. Or maybe bottles of beer?...

That's really interesting Mr Kada - reminds me of those old black and white movies you see late on TV where the ship would be welcomed by the natives paddling out to trade and dive for coins.

But it makes you think about the ways the natives could get these ointments and stuff so easily.  You wouldn't see that now LOL.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 04:19:11 AM »

Dan

But it makes you think about the ways the natives could get these ointments and stuff so easily.  You wouldn't see that now LOL.

Do you mean from a visiting US naval warship?  Some of the remote islands such as Pitcairn, Tristan de Cuna and so on still do a good trade with passing merchant vessels :)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 04:20:08 AM »

Don't forget that the island also had a thriving cooperative (coop) store where amongst other items to be purchased were shoes :)

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 04:41:45 PM »

Dan

Do you mean from a visiting US naval warship?  Some of the remote islands such as Pitcairn, Tristan de Cuna and so on still do a good trade with passing merchant vessels :)

Thank you Mr Johnson.

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 05:05:37 AM »

This topic hasn't been opened in some months, but it seems a shame to have left things hanging with regard to the possibility raised of the Gardner Co-op Store having carried Campana Italian Balm, especially since a statement of goods in hand at the store was available.  Here's page 2.  Here's the full TIGHAR report.  As I recall, Ric Gillespie and Bill Carter took some care to acquire this material by going to the Kiribati National Archive (KNA) in 2011.  The closest thing I can find to Campana Italian Balm in the goods list is Brilliantine, a period hair tonic.  I obtained a bottle of Brilliantine, put it next to the standard Campana-style bottle, and a photo is attached.  I note hair cream was found in an inventory of Gallagher's personal items taken down after he passed away; however, Campana Italian Balm would not have been construed in an inventory as hair cream.

This is nit-picky analysis, but the statute of limitations on these items never expires and unresponded arguments can leave the impression that these things have been conceded, when in fact quite the opposite is true. 

Now back to regularly scheduled programming...

Joe Cerniglia ~ TIGHAR #3078ECR
- Let the thing be pressed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:16:28 AM by Joe Cerniglia »

Doug Ledlie

• T2
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »

Topic was looking lonely since Joe's last post so....

A Google image search for vintage or antique brilliantine bottle shows that "brilliantine" was produced by everybody and their brother pretty much, in a wide range of bottle sizes and styles and was even sold in ointment pots (in gel form).

Obviously the usage of the word Brilliantine on the co-op store inventory list can't be taken to indicate any specific producer and may be nothing more than just a generic reference to a period hair tonic.

Current ebay posting seems to be a similar bottle to the artifact, other than base stamping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X2-98-Vintage-Ideal-Hair-Dresser-And-Tonic-Bottle-RARE-/221278942476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338540b50c

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org