Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirror (2-6-S-18 and 2-8-S-1)  (Read 49018 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Mirror (2-6-S-18 and 2-8-S-1)
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »

Wonder who the lady with the kid may be?  British officer or official's wife?  With their penchant for records we ought to be able to find out something.

If we could find that out then we might have another source of information to follow up.

This conversation illustrates perfectly what is wrong with just dumping images without links to the origin of the image.

Cf. Paul Laxton.  I found the photo in the WPHC Archives in 2003 and paid to have a digitized copy made for TIGHAR.  Ric and others had seen it in the file, too, long before me, but that was before apparent pieces of a compact turned up at the Seven Site.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 04:47:33 AM »

Marty, the post from Erik has the words "How about this lady" as a link.  I clicked on it and it took me to a page in the Ameliapedia file on Nutiran Clearing.  A thumbnail of the image was on this page.  I clicked on that thumbnail and got the Ameliapedia page for this photo. I then clicked on the file links and read the article on the "likelihood" of it being Mrs. Laxton. I believe the links were all there.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »

Marty, the post from Erik has the words "How about this lady" as a link.  I clicked on it and it took me to a page in the Ameliapedia file on Nutiran Clearing.  A thumbnail of the image was on this page.  I clicked on that thumbnail and got the Ameliapedia page for this photo. I then clicked on the file links and read the article on the "likelihood" of it being Mrs. Laxton. I believe the links were all there.

True.

I shouldn't have taken the question raised by the other poster at face value (i.e., as an indication that there were no links).

My bad.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Erik

• T3
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »

Where there are mirrors, there must be smoke...

Fascinating - a 'European' appearing lady on Gardner, for gosh' sake - no compact in-hand, but...

AND a woman known to have frequent contacts with compacts who we think was once there... alas no photo of her posing with the coconut crabs.

I think this exploration will run on for some time to come.

Wonder who the lady with the kid may be?  British officer or official's wife?  With their penhant for records we ought to be able to find out something.

LTM -

According to Laxton's report, his wife's name is Molly.  He writes, "Molly chose two of the girls on the basis of their dancing skill, and one because she could keep the baby quiet."  I would think the baby and woman pictured are nearly certain to be those referenced in Laxton's report. 

In his report, he writes about his group exploring the side of the island at the location (now known as seven site?) where there was a house built for Gallagher.  References to the dismantling of the LORAN station and the picture's WPHC archive documentation puts his visit sometime early in 1946.   

So, we now have potentially four different european visitations in that area of the island during the late 30s / early 40s.  Earhart, Maude, Gallagher and Laxton.  Any one of these visits had a chance (even if just slightly) of carrying a mirror along.    I feel Laxton's most recent visit could have been a candidate of the mirror's origin just as much as Earhart's.

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »

A mirror might have made a nice gift to someone who had watched your 2-year-old.
Cheers,
JohnO

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »

A mirror might have made a nice gift to someone who had watched your 2-year-old.

Yes but it's not just a mirror that was found buts remnants of cosmetics. See http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Expeditions/NikuV/Analysis_and_Reports/Compact/NikuVanalysiscompact.html

And the cosmetics were in the colours used by European women.   

Would Mrs. Laxton give a European colour based compact as a gift to a young girl?  Would that young girl not treasure it as valuable rather than lose it at the Seven site? 

So far I only see one European woman on Niku.  I can't prove AE was there. But so far we see pictures of AE with a small square mirror in her hands. A small square mirror is found at the seven site. Remnants of cosmetics found at same site.   Not even close to a smoking gun but reasonable inference??  I'm looking at 1930's compacts on the Internet. Let's see what we find.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »

True.

I shouldn't have taken the question raised by the other poster at face value (i.e., as an indication that there were no links).

My bad.

Sorry guys - I got as far as the picture link in the pedia but failed to reach as far as finding out that this would be Mrs. Laxton, so I failed to realize the lady was already well known.  Didn't mean to confuse things - my bad for not being more careful about seeking out the full history before commenting.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:36:02 AM by Jeff Neville »

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »

Could be but how about this lady?  http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=%2Fearhart&CISOPTR=398&DMSCALE=19.82816&DMWIDTH=600&DMHEIGHT=600&DMMODE=viewer&DMFULL=0&DMOLDSCALE=3.16389&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMTHUMB=1&REC=13&DMROTATE=0&x=59&y=125

I have linked one picture of AE holding what is a square mirror about the size of the one found on Niku and this one which is also the right size but I can't prove (yet) is a compact.

Anyone can see that she is holding her iPhone.   ;)

LTM,

Don

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 08:39:58 PM »

Don, you're right!!  Now if the ROV guys can find an iPhone in the wreckage we might be getting somewhere.  ;D
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org