Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: News July 9 1937  (Read 81567 times)

Erik

• T3
Re: News July 9 1937
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »

Now THAT makes sense.  No water condenser.  No hand-cranked generator.  Thanks.

You're welcome.  Sorry for the confusion regarding the context of my post.

I was just trying to demsytify the fact the a water vaporizing machine was even possible in 1937.  As opposed to hyped-up newspaper articles.  It appears that such a machine was possible and that AE was actually in possesion of one.  That itself seems important to know.

What's interesting about this take-away is that it starts to suggest a pattern of her willingness to abandon resuce/survival gear in lieu of other reasoning.  I feel this pattern of behavior is helpful to better understand her thoughts towards her decision(s) regarding parachutes in the other thread.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 02:54:20 PM »

just thought i would post this as i come across it before  :)

http://www.ameliaearhartmuseum.org/AmeliaEarhart/NewsClips/clip370615.htm

C.S.T

is that central summer time ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

Richie
Good link.  Allows us to connect the times at various places along the trip to Central Standard Time (CST) and from that to other time zones here in the states in 1937 and hence to Greenwich Civil Time (GCT).
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »

central standard time

on it like a car bonnet  :D

Member# 416

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I don't equate the words "water condenser" to a water machine.

To me, a "water condenser" would consist of an inverted  funnel shaped object fitted with a small diameter coil of hollow pipe that could be placed over a container of ocean water.  the water could then be boiled and the vapor condensed in the coils where it would Then drip out of the coil and into another container.  Voila, fresh water.  I guess it could be called a water machine.

Nowadays we do it by reverse osmosis, whatever that might be.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »

water condenser = converting contaminated water to consumable water like they do on iss

water machine = fresh water out of either bottles or water cooler etc

Member# 416

Erik

• T3
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 07:05:26 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I don't equate the words "water condenser" to a water machine.

I think the term 'machine' was being used rather loosely back then.  Almost everything was a 'machine' - even aeroplanes...

I found it interesting that one article referred to the water machine as a "water out of human breath" and another article as a "water from the ocean".  Clearly two different sources.  I wonder how such a device really worked.  I suppose the ocean water suggestion you mention would make much more sense.

It seems pretty clear that some kind of water making device was selected for the 2nd attempt.  Then abandoned for unknown reasons.  The article quotes Mantz as stating they were 'deposited' somewhere between Miami and New Guinea.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »

i have read in a purdue telegram that they took all survival gear off as there was doted posts along the way so would have been inpossible to get lost but can i find it NO

???

always the same  :)

Member# 416

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »

water condenser = converting contaminated water to consumable water like they do on iss

Solar stills were available during WW2 but they may have been available in 1937. I am attaching the instructions that came with my solar still kit of three stills, the paper has deteriorated over the years. The stills are about the size of basketballs.

gl
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:27:09 PM by Gary LaPook »

Erik

• T3
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 10:20:45 AM »

Solar stills were available during WW2 but they may have been available in 1937. I am attaching the instructions that came with my solar still kit of three stills, the paper has deteriorated over the years. The stills are about the size of basketballs.

gl

Newspapers, as well as Mantz's own words already mention the water machine.  So we have a reasonable level of certainty that one already existed in 1937.  Furthermore, he (Mantz) states that it was on the airplane and 'deposited' somewhere between Miami and Lae.  So we even know it was on the Electra for a good portion of the trip.  If it was deposited in Lae, along with all the other survival gear, then it is also reasonable to suggest that the parachutes (already enroute) were left behind too.  Why would she abandon water machine, hand-cranked radio, and other types of gear, but not the parachutes?

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »

Solar stills were available during WW2 but they may have been available in 1937. I am attaching the instructions that came with my solar still kit of three stills, the paper has deteriorated over the years. The stills are about the size of basketballs when inflated.

gl
I have attached two photos of my solar distillation kit which consists of three inflatable stills, a plastic water collection bottle and some line to tie the stills together and to the life raft. A description of their use is found in Air Force Manual AFM 64-5, Survival, dated 1961 and also in Army Field Manual FM 21-76, Survival, dated 1986 so they were in use for quite some time. The whole thing weighs a little more than four pounds. Each inflatable still, when packed up, is six by six inches by 2 inches thick and weighs one pound, two point six ounces. So if Amelia had this type of kit along it wouldn't make much sense to leave it behind considering how light and compact it is.

AND, the Air Force Manual contains instructions on how to use a parachute to obtain DRINKING WATER! First you build a tripod out of sticks tied together with parachute cord. Then you make a pouch out of a piece of parachute material and suspend it, open end up, from the tripod and place a container below it. Then you build a small fire nearby and then you fill the pouch with snow.......oh.......never mind.
gl
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:12:32 PM by Gary LaPook »

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 06:27:25 PM »

gl
Emergency solar stills are still being made.

The only thing that I would call a "water machine" is this emergency water maker, but these didn't come along until about fifteen years ago. They work by reverse osmosis and the hand pump supplies the very high pressure to force the water through the semi-permeable membrane that doesn't allow the salt molecules to get through, they're too big. This is the same principle used with much larger water makers used on boats and ships.

gl

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »

gl

Newspapers, as well as Mantz's own words already mention the water machine.  So we have a reasonable level of certainty that one already existed in 1937.  Furthermore, he (Mantz) states that it was on the airplane and 'deposited' somewhere between Miami and Lae.  So we even know it was on the Electra for a good portion of the trip.  If it was deposited in Lae, along with all the other survival gear, then it is also reasonable to suggest that the parachutes (already enroute) were left behind too.  Why would she abandon water machine, hand-cranked radio, and other types of gear, but not the parachutes?

in the image i have attached, at bottom it says weather in favour of either plane or emergency boat staying afloat ?

yet people suggest there weren't one

so it is quite easy to think they discarded water machine at lae

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »

i have spent all day today looking for telegram were amelia states they have removed all survival gear food etc to minimize weight, but aint found it yet

as got side tracked wid the footy an watchin breaking news that whitney houston had died so sad R.I.P

but i will find it  :)

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 08:33:54 AM »

Going back to my basic training drinking water was drummed into us as being THE major priority in survival situations. It is possible to survive without food for longer than you would expect but, water is needed to keep the bodys vital organs and functions ticking over.Renal failure kicks in first causing your blood eloctrolyte levels to go pear shaped leading to loss of concentration and confusion which affects your ability to do and think straight. Dehydration kills before malnutrition even gets a look in. That said, the environment on Gardner island doesn't lend itself easily to getting said potable water. You would need to search out the part of the island that has the highest humidity levels i.e. away from sea breezes, to stand any chance of gaining water from airborne water droplets. Coconuts? If you can find them on the ground and, get them open but, don't rely on them for too long they don't do your digestive system any good after prolonged consumption. Rain! If it does, collect more than you will ever need but, you'll need something to collect it in and, protect it thereafter from evaporation, a cup or two won't last 10 minutes. You would need a couple of jerry cans full to tide you over to the next rain fall or, to cover your efforts in water collection from airborne water droplet collection, coconut harvesting etc...
Of course don't forget once dehydration has set in all this becomes impossible
IMHO and experience
Jeff
This must be the place

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org