Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Would the castaways have written a diary of events?  (Read 40348 times)

Erik

• T3
Re: Would the castaways have written a diary of events?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »

The "G" feature?  How about this...

Possibly a 'spill' from someone carrying a bunch of collected white rubble.  If someone was carrying a stash of white coral rubble (for whatever reason), then if the device they were using (bag, box, shirt, etc) to carry it ripped, broke open, lost balance, then the contents would 'spill' out creating the unusual pattern you see here.  If the person rotated, spun-around trying to avoid and catch the spill, then the pattern would take on a more spiral orbit such as seen with the "G".  The shape could very well have been any other elliptically based spiral orbit such an "S", an "O", a "C" or any other letter loosley resembling the shape of something spilling as you were turning to try and catch it.  Just so happens the "G" was what karma had for that particular spill.  The larger 'spot' within the shape of the "G" could simply be where the spill began or where it ended - causing a larger concentration of the contents to be there.

I doubt the "G" feature is anything done intentionally, but rather an accident (of sorts) from some other type of activity related to white rubble usage.

Which makes me want to think about the white arrowhead...
If in fact the arrowhead was a feature of very thin layer of white rubble, used to mark for aerial identification, then the thin color layer of 'white' would soon disappear to the sun and other elements, making it nearly un-identifiable years later.  Since the original layer of white rubble would have to be 'harvested' from another location such as the lagoon and/or beach, then it would also have to be carried from that location.  Thus, perhaps an explanation for the white "G" feature, from a spill while trying to create the arrowhead.  Aren't the 'trails' seen in some aerial photos and maps located in that general vicinity?

Crazy thinking... possible explanation... thoughts?

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 09:26:34 AM »

The "G" feature?  How about this...

Possibly a 'spill' from someone carrying a bunch of collected white rubble.  If someone was carrying a stash of white coral rubble (for whatever reason), then if the device they were using (bag, box, shirt, etc) to carry it ripped, broke open, lost balance, then the contents would 'spill' out creating the unusual pattern you see here.  If the person rotated, spun-around trying to avoid and catch the spill, then the pattern would take on a more spiral orbit such as seen with the "G".  The shape could very well have been any other elliptically based spiral orbit such an "S", an "O", a "C" or any other letter loosley resembling the shape of something spilling as you were turning to try and catch it.  Just so happens the "G" was what karma had for that particular spill.  The larger 'spot' within the shape of the "G" could simply be where the spill began or where it ended - causing a larger concentration of the contents to be there.

I doubt the "G" feature is anything done intentionally, but rather an accident (of sorts) from some other type of activity related to white rubble usage.

Which makes me want to think about the white arrowhead...
If in fact the arrowhead was a feature of very thin layer of white rubble, used to mark for aerial identification, then the thin color layer of 'white' would soon disappear to the sun and other elements, making it nearly un-identifiable years later.  Since the original layer of white rubble would have to be 'harvested' from another location such as the lagoon and/or beach, then it would also have to be carried from that location.  Thus, perhaps an explanation for the white "G" feature, from a spill while trying to create the arrowhead.  Aren't the 'trails' seen in some aerial photos and maps located in that general vicinity?

Crazy thinking... possible explanation... thoughts?

Hi Erik.  I have to admit that your idea, IMHO, has real merit. A mere accident. I have to say that sometimes we read too much into things and your idea is not crazy but quite possible. It's the best explanation I have heard for this.  Your posts are enjoyable to read. Thanks
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »

Could the "G" be as simple as one of the 1938 settlers marking the atoll with a G for Gilbert, the island group from which they came?

Or for that matter  G for Gardiner?  or for "Gee, I don't know where I am?"  (kidding)
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:11:18 PM by J. Nevill »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »

G for Grave?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 07:11:35 PM »

G for Grave?

That is one possibility that (I believe) has been eliminated by inspection of the ground nearby.

I'm not an archeologist, nor do I play one in my dreams, but I believe that Ric and the folks who have been to Niku can tell with a fair degree of reliability whether digging has taken place in a particular location.  The white coral from the beach has been poured, accidentally or on purpose, on undisturbed ground.

The fellow who knows all about digging on Niku is Gary Quigg.  I would say that he is the strong, silent type, except there are too many stories about things he's said under various and sundry conditions.  At any rate, no one has done more digging on the island than he since 1963.  The other expert on digging is Tom King, TIGHAR's lead archeologist. 

Unfortunately, neither Gary nor Tom participate in the Forum these days ...
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »

The G feature could have served as a map of the island, for the purpose of explaining to a work group where the coconut palms were to be planted.  It would not need to be "accurate" so much as "useful".  The "snake head" is the village.  The body of the snake runs from the village down the south-west side, rounds the point, and comes back up the north east side, mostly enclosing the lagoon.  To someone who has only seen the island on foot, it might make sense when presented that way, especially if they weren't used to maps.
If a worker was in doubt, or asked where he was working, he could point it out on the "map".  It would even have endured for future reference.  What else did they have to work with?  How was the planting planned, organized and directed?
Cheers,
JohnO

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »

John
Too logical.  Then again the "G" could have meant "Go"  as in Go over there.   Kidding
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 05:22:24 AM »

Another interesting example is the story of the Lady Be Good diaries.  (This web site also has an interesting computer flight simulation of the end of the flight, and the discovery of the crew's remains.)

Great link Ricker, that march was more than impressive, its titanic.

The diaries make me wish even more that AE/FN managed to leave something to tell of their plight in the days after landing.

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »

Would our intrepid castaways have created such a record?  Where would it be? What would they have written it on?  How would they store it?  If they didn't write one then why not?

IMHO - We know that they had pens, pencils and paper so I consider the what a moot point, I think that if she was chronicaling her life as a castaway she would be carrying it on her person so as to have it handy to write in whenever the need or the chance arose.  When the skeleton was found, no clothing was found so if it was in a pocket "GONE", the next logical choice would the sextant box and again "GONE".  Exposed to the elements how long would paper last what before it disintegrated; 3 months? 1 year?

LTM,

Don

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »

I agree that paper would be the logical choice Don. If you spent any time on a tropical island would the destructive nature of the weather and the environment not be noticed?  Would you suspect that your paper records may not survive and try to protect them?  Or would you suddenly realize that you aren't really "immortal" after all, and, as you lie there too weak to move, you determine you can't do anything about the paper diary now?  Did the castaways have anything to store the papers in?  Old tins from Norwich City food stores?  Buried in a marker of stones (ok Marty, I know a search was made and no obvious markers found) or how about in the base of a banyan tree(?).  Inside a thermos bottle?  Inside luggage?  All speculation at this point.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:32 PM »

... ok Marty, I know a search was made and no obvious markers found ...

TIGHAR has not made an exhaustive search of every square foot of the island.

The island was inhabited.

It was surveyed.

TIGHAR has searched as best it can.

My belief is that it is unlikely that there is any cairn to be found.

I would love to read a diary from the castaway.  Right now, the odds seem to be against it.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

richie conroy

• T5
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 05:31:33 PM »

http://pipa.neaq.org/2009/09/searching-for-invasive-species-on.php

Searching for invasive species on Nikumaroro

Today, after a spectacular series of dives, PIPA director Tukabu Teroroko, Tuake Tema, Rob Barrel, Alan Dynner, Kate Madin, Larry Madin, Brian Skerry, Jeff Wildermuth and I landed on Nikumaroro to check for the presence of invasive species.

Invasive species are organisms that do not belong there and were brought by humans. Nikumaroro is uninhabited today, but over the centuries there had been periodic settlements. We were checking for rats, cats, rabbits, and other organisms that can harm the native animals and plants. Kiribati has successfully worked hard on Phoenix and McKean Islands to eradicate rats and rabbits. But Tukabu and I wanted to check for rats here on Nikumaroro. He knew there were cats on this island, but rats are more devastating to the hundreds of thousands of birds that call Nikumaroro home, and if he found strong evidence, he would plan an eradication.

We explored a small portion of the island, found old village structures, including a sunken room with coral walls that Tukabu said was perhaps an ancient marea, a place of worsiop. Tukabu looked at the fallen coconut fruits and reasoned that rats might not be too bad here, as they were not abundant bite marks on the coconut. Part of the long-term management plan for PIPA is to eradicate invasive species on all the islands to protect the amazing bird life on these islands; the Phoenix Islands are considered among the most important seabird nesting sites in the Pacific.

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »

this is on that website aswell apparently 1 ov the propellers off norwich city

Member# 416

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org