Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TIGHAR Mapheads Unite!  (Read 8807 times)

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
TIGHAR Mapheads Unite!
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »

The recent flare-up on this forum — of near-obsessive measurement of longitude and latitude with or without the aid of a sextant (or an octant); of precise pinpointing of what part(s) of Niku lie on the latitude line that is 281 nautical miles south of the equator; and, where the “integer degree confluence” of 5S/173W is in relationship to Niku — is something that has happened periodically throughout the life of TIGHAR.  I’m sure Ken Jennings (yes, he of “Jeopardy” fame) would applaud.

If your significant other is pleading with any of you who are obsessed with such matters, to create a wish list in order to facilitate shopping for a gift for you in the coming week (when Santa will visit your household precisely at midnight no matter which of the 25 letter-designated time zones you live in—or one of the additional unnamed two that Kiribati observes, UTC+13 and UTC+14), then I strongly suggest you put at the top of that list Ken Jennings’ entertaining new book, Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks, that delves exhaustingly into all things cartographic.

There’s a paragraph in Maphead (shown by Google Books via this link) near the very end of the book that gives hope that our obsession with such matters is not just “normal” but also therapeutic.  Enjoy!

Ho, Ho, Ho and Merry Christmas (or whatever)!
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Erik

• T3
Re: TIGHAR Mapheads Unite!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:55:45 AM »

Thanks for the links Bruce!  From one maphead to another...

Here's a user-friendly map based version of Ameliapedia. 

Click this MAP - it contains links directly to the articles.  No fancy software needed.

Clicking on any of the popup balloons reveals more information. 

Merry Christmas - Enjoy!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:18:00 AM by Erik »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »

Here's a user-friendly map based version of Ameliapedia. 

Click this MAP - it contains links directly to the articles.  No fancy software needed.

Very nice!

There are lots more features that you could add.  See the map category on the Ameliapedia.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »

Simple question.....

The marker on this map for the Norwich City has an associated photo that I've not seen before.  Anyone know when that photo was taken?

.....tb

TIGHAR #3159R

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:19:19 AM »

Simple question.....

The marker on this map for the Norwich City has an associated photo that I've not seen before.  Anyone know when that photo was taken?

.....tb
That photo is seen in the Ameliapedia article on SS Norwich City.  It was obtained from archives of the New Zealand Air Force.  The New Zealand Pacific Aviation Survey Expedition visited Gardner Island in 1938.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org