Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In search of the Lady Southern Cross (Kingsford-Smith's Lockheed Altair)  (Read 22453 times)

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough

N.B. This thread began in the Chatterbox, where folks were suggestion new projects for TIGHAR to work on.  MXM, SJ

... what about  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Kingsford_Smith?
"Hang Tough"
Rich

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:56:17 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: Re: Next Project?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:21:23 PM »

From what I can read a Film crew thought they found it but no body was able to prove it and find it again from their records. Not sure, was a quick read through the Wiki.
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »

Well I remeber reading that a collegue of theirs went to the island looking for evidence and found flattened and/or damaged trees so at least TIGHER only need to look in the sea close to where the landing gear was found (spooky or what!!!!!)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »

Both are good... but what about  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Kingsford_Smith

Thought it had been found?

A filmmaker claims that he has found The Lady Southern Cross.

There are some doubts about the reliability of his judgment.

Several expeditions were slated to take place in 2010.

He also thinks that he has found and can salvage the world's largest bell.

Lay built a static replica of the Lady Southern Cross.  More details on the replica.  I don't like the sound of this: "The aircraft is constructed in timber, in the same fashion as the original, the skin was moulded an form providing a smooth finish, whilst the wings, significantly in the rear tail area section, were skinned by laminating timber, creating the quite severe buckles and ripples, identical to the original aircraft."  I wonder whether the plane was brought down by loss of one of those buckled and rippling skins! 

Some of the links to Animax Films suggests to me that his company is insolvent.  No sign of the proposed feature-length film, The Lost Anzac.

I'll bet Mr. Lay would love to have a few million dollars to complete his research and his film.  No fair donating that until after you've given an equal amount to TIGHAR first!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
Re: In search of the Lady Southern Cross (Kingsford-Smith's Lockheed Altair)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 02:10:17 PM »

Great information Martin, thanks.
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »

Great information Martin, thanks.

My pleasure.  I had fun fleshing out the details, such as they are.

It will be interesting to hear "the rest of the story," when and if it becomes available.  I wonder whether the 2010 expedition took place, and, if so, what it found.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 07:24:40 AM »

I did some searching on that yesterday and didn't come up with anything. With any luck it will be a slow day at the office and I can look today. I'll post if I find something.
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »

Well I remeber reading that a collegue of theirs went to the island looking for evidence and found flattened and/or damaged trees so at least TIGHER only need to look in the sea close to where the landing gear was found (spooky or what!!!!!)

Link to above http://www.check-six.com/lib/Famous_Missing/KingsfordsSmith.htm

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »

So I found a news Clip about Sir Charles and our Mr. Lay who claims to have found him.  Here are the links:

http://www.historymaker.net.au/2010/11/345/

Direct Video Link: http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/video/-/watch/22880799/

There are those who doubt this claim. He has gotten things wrong in the past. I can't read sonar well but I don't see a plane there at all.

Can't wait to read what you all think.
"Hang Tough"
Rich

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:56:28 AM by Rich Ramsey »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org