Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Saying Good bye - and introduction of what became the 'Bevington Object'  (Read 31279 times)

Greg Henton

• T1

I have very much enjoyed exploring this site, but after reading many of the blog posts on the forum here, I’ve come to the conclusion that I simply don’t have the expertise to make any meaningful contributions, so it’s time for me to say good bye.

I thought though, that I would leave you with the impressions I have taken away from your site.  First, I believe that post loss radio signals are legitimate, and AE/FN landed the plane on a coral reef near an island.  And that they were able to send messages for some days afterwards.

Second, in all likelihood, it was Gardner Island: the RDF, the discovery of the body, and the artifacts (shoes parts, aluminum) would seem to point there.

Third, I’m not convinced that she landed near the Norwich City.  From what I got from the website, your reasons for believing that AE landed there was 1.) Emily Sikuli who lived on the island at the time the body was found was told that some wreckage, her description of which really didn’t sound like airplane wreckage, was from an airplane, 2.) the present nature of the reef is such that an airplane might possibly land there at low tide and 3.) currents would distribute the wreckage in such a manner as to be consistent with other islander’s stories of recovering bits and pieces of the wreck.  But to counter this, in one radio message, AE says she’s “On coral southwest of unknown island” (http://tighar.org/Publications/ TTracks/2009Vol_25/postloss.pdf), not west or northwest as would be the case if she had landed near the Norwich City.  The article goes on to discount this by saying “The location on Nikumaroro where aircraft wreckage was reportedly seen in later years is technically on the west end of atoll but, if you are on the reef in that location, the bulk of the visible land mass is to the northeast creating the impression that you are southwest of the island,” but I don’t find this credible.  After all, AE wasn’t deposited in that spot by a UFO in the dead of night, she flew there.  And if she had enough gas to run the engine to charge the batteries after landing, then here engines weren’t coughing and sputtering  so that she would feel obligated land immediately at the first sight of something solid.  More likely, she would have at least scouted out where she was going to land before making the attempt, and would know where she landed in relation to the island.  But in addition, had she landed 100 meters from the Norwich City, she would have been clearly aware of its existence.  It would be the most distinguishing feature of the island.  Had she known the story of the wreck, she would have known where she was, and if she hadn’t known the story, she would have almost certainly mentioned the wreck because she would have a reasonable expectation that people familiar with the area would know of the wreck.  This would be especially true if she didn’t know where she was and was “… a terrified, desperate woman who doesn’t know where she is, struggling with an injured and delirious companion, sending out any navigational information she can find in Noonan’s notes.” (http://tighar.org/Publications/TTracks/2000Vol_16/occult.pdf).  But nowhere does a reference to the Norwich City appear in the credible messages (here I am assuming that the “ship” in “This is Amelia Earhart. Ship is on a reef south of the equator. Station KH9QQ” heard by Cyrus Randolph is referring to the Electra (http://tighar.org/Publications/TTracks/2005Vol_21/onreef.pdf)).

Anyway, that’s my take away from your web pages, when I get the money, I’ll order a kindle addition of your book.  I truly hope you find your “idiot proof” artifact, I dying to find out how the story ends.  Best of Luck.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:36:22 PM by J. Nevill »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Saying Good bye
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »

So long Greg.  If you're already gone it's a shame you didn't stick around long enough to find out that:
- there is photographic corroboration of airplane wreckage in the reef
- there is what appears to be a repeated reference to Norwich City in Betty's Notebook

Bruce Burton

• T1
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »

I simply don’t have the expertise to make any meaningful contributions ....

I don't either, but the forum is always a fascinating read: completely different from anything else I put my brain to; therein IMO is the personal value.  :)

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »

Is this something new that I missed?

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:41:37 AM »

Maybe results from photo analysis on Nessie?

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 07:27:51 AM »

I hate to see Greg, and any others like him, go from here.  Quite a diversity of folks who either watch or watch-and-post, like me - and all have some level of expertise to offer, if just as a thoughtful observer.

I was delighted to arrive home after latest business trip to find the October 'Tracks on my table.  The analysis of the gear leg and photo evidence / discussion is tantalizing.  I can't wait to see where this may take us, especially with the prospect of bringing better technology into the search.  It still seems, given all that has been discovered so far, that the reef slope area near the Norwich City is the strongest candidate.  I too wonder about other beaches at Niku, but one must start somewhere.

Maybe Greg will have a change of heart, but if not perhaps he will be rewarded with more news in the future.

LTM -

Must be the letter my wife says arrived today :) Early finish for me then!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 08:40:24 AM »

Maybe results from photo analysis on Nessie?

That's right, and on Monday I'll be meeting with a U.S. Government photo analyst to get a second opinion on the Nessie photo.
We also have the 1953 aerial mapping photos that show what appears to be a debris field of light colored metal on the reef.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:45 AM »

... the forum is always a fascinating read: completely different from anything else I put my brain to; therein IMO is the personal value.  :)

Bingo!  Nobody is an expert at figuring out what is true.  We're all amateurs.  In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter what happened to Amelia Earhart.  What matters is what we can learn from trying to solve the mystery of her disappearance. This is all about learning how to use our brains - how to sort myth, bias, and opinion from reality.  This forum is a laboratory and a classroom. What we learn here (and I learn as much as any of you) about how to evaluate evidence is applicable to how we reach decisions in our "real world" lives. 

Hector M Zapata

• T1
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »

I simply don’t have the expertise to make any meaningful contributions ....

I don't either, but the forum is always a fascinating read: completely different from anything else I put my brain to; therein IMO is the personal value.  :)

X2 -I feel exactly the same. I learn something new every time I visit the forum (almost everyday).

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »

I hate to see Greg, and any others like him, go from here.  Quite a diversity of folks who either watch or watch-and-post, like me - and all have some level of expertise to offer, if just as a thoughtful observer.

I was delighted to arrive home after latest business trip to find the October 'Tracks on my table.  The analysis of the gear leg and photo evidence / discussion is tantalizing.  I can't wait to see where this may take us, especially with the prospect of bringing better technology into the search.  It still seems, given all that has been discovered so far, that the reef slope area near the Norwich City is the strongest candidate.  I too wonder about other beaches at Niku, but one must start somewhere.

Maybe Greg will have a change of heart, but if not perhaps he will be rewarded with more news in the future.

LTM -

Must be the letter my wife says arrived today :) Early finish for me then!

Fantastic Tighar Tracks and spell binding video footage and its also my birthday :)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »

Happy Birthday Chris!

Richard Lyon Metzger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 12:52:41 PM »

??? How can you walk away from this adventure ? Its like sitting on the edge of your seat in a mystery movie. What about the other on-going investigations.........

Happy Birthday.....

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »

What about the other on-going investigations.........

Briefly:
- The Devastator Project
A complicated and diplomatically delicate project.  Lots going on. We'll talk about it when we can.

- The Maid of Harlech
Still trying to find a home for the aircraft. Until then, she's safest right where she is.

- Project Midnight Ghost
TIGHAR members just received a new issue of TIGHAR Tracks with an article debunking a recent theory about the fate of l'Oiseau Blanc.  This oldest TIGHAR Project may soon be coming back to life.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »

sorry to see u go greg, i dont tend to get that involved my self but aswell as doin my own research an trying to find new evidence, i like the banter on the forums thou so enuff reason for me to stick around  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Paul John Patten

• T1
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 10:00:46 AM »

I am no expert on anything. My contributions to the postings are minimal. As far as helping to find Amelia...heck I probably couldn"t find my backside with both hands in back pockets. I do, however, find TIGHAR and the web site very interesting. Semper fi. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org