Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wire and rope video  (Read 26442 times)

richie conroy

• T5
wire and rope video
« on: October 22, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »

hi all

in the video on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tvHm3jZcME&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL584BE3AB77197253

in the previous post their was debate about what type of rope it was, an what rope would look like after 70 years correct

now am assuming yous were on about the long black one that's braided an snapped at bottom ?

well what i want Ur opinion on is, when the camera is on metal ring, u can see at between 16 an 24 seconds in the bottom right of image there is clearly an old rope ? does any 1 else see it 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
Re: wire and rope video
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »

its also in view at 06 seconds ?

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »

when the camera is on metal ring, u can see at between 16 an 24 seconds in the bottom right of image there is clearly an old rope ? does any 1 else see it

I think I see what you you're talking about. It looks to me to be the same stuff as the "wire."

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »

no its alot thiner closet to metal ring then goes thicker 30 inches down

Member# 416

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »

What do people make of the item around 1.49 you tube footage or 13:38:30? Looks like its the end of the wire/rope.

Also the wire/rope appears snagged or caught on a rock higher up.

Anyone know the life span of rope in sea water if its not treated with Tar etc?

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:40:19 AM »

Take a look again at the wire and rope video...

You need to be on full screen and, step through one second at a time. The wire and rope draws your attention away from something at 13:38:32;07 to 12.
Centre left there is what appears to be black tape caught up or wrapped around, underneath and inside an object. The object is resting on a shelf in the coral. It is prevented from falling further down the reef slope by lumps of coral to its left. The object has two prongs protruding from the end of a central cylinder. The object is, naturally, covered in white coral residue. To the right of this object there is possibly another object briefly visible when the ROV prop wash disturbs the white coral residue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tvHm3jZcME&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL584BE3AB77197253
Any ideas?
You are nearly there
This must be the place

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:34:57 AM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 07:02:42 AM »

hi all

in the video on

in the previous post their was debate about what type of rope it was, an what rope would look like after 70 years correct

now am assuming yous were on about the long black one that's braided an snapped at bottom ?

well what i want Ur opinion on is, when the camera is on metal ring, u can see at between 16 an 24 seconds in the bottom right of image there is clearly an old rope ? does any 1 else see it

Richie, I have read your all your posts with much interest, you have put a lot of input into the search and I'm sure it's much appreciated. There's a lot of detail in the ROV video regarding wire and rope. One of my areas of research at the moment is the 'semi-circular' piece of wire. It's not actually semi-circular but a circle, not joined. I suspect it's something they use in tyres (tires?) called braided wire beading. It is used to seal the tyre to the wheel hub so there should be two of them. The construction of the beading is to plait zinc/copper plated stainless steel wires together and then coat them with fabric. I am trying to find any evidence of the wire belts also used in tyre construction in the video although these won't be as well preserved as the braided wire beading so probably rusted away by now.
This must be the place

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 08:56:27 AM »

I once briefly discussed the possibility of the circle being a tire bead with Ric.  One problem with the hypothesis is that the tire would not have deteriorated yet. To expose the bead, the rubber would obviously need to be removed, for example by burning, but that tends to also remove the plating, so the steel wires would rust faster.  Another problem is how a tire might be removed from an aircraft.  It couldn't be removed with the simple tools AE and FN had.  If it got torn free from the aircraft by surf and currents, how did the rubber get stripped away from the bead?
I'd suspect the most likely source of a bare tire bead was a Jeep tire burned on the beech.  This doesn't mean the object is a tire bead, nor that it is from a Jeep (or Lockheed).  OTOH, it does reemind me of a (broken) tire bead, as seen in a junk yard after burning a tire.  It would be nice to get a better view of it, with some sense of it's dimensions.  The video has no scale.
Cheers,
JohnO

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »

I once briefly discussed the possibility of the circle being a tire bead with Ric.  One problem with the hypothesis is that the tire would not have deteriorated yet. To expose the bead, the rubber would obviously need to be removed, for example by burning, but that tends to also remove the plating, so the steel wires would rust faster.  Another problem is how a tire might be removed from an aircraft.  It couldn't be removed with the simple tools AE and FN had.  If it got torn free from the aircraft by surf and currents, how did the rubber get stripped away from the bead?
I'd suspect the most likely source of a bare tire bead was a Jeep tire burned on the beech.  This doesn't mean the object is a tire bead, nor that it is from a Jeep (or Lockheed).  OTOH, it does reemind me of a (broken) tire bead, as seen in a junk yard after burning a tire.  It would be nice to get a better view of it, with some sense of it's dimensions.  The video has no scale.

Yes John I wondered about how to guess the scale in the video. To be of any use as evidence of the Electra the wire would need to be around6 to 12 inches? too small for a vehicle tyre.From the video there is no way of getting any perspective, probably need to send down a yardstick on the next trip.
As for the missing rubber, good point, I'll look into that one.
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »

i think its a kind of cir clip that holds either plastic cowling together or stops stuff falling off like keeping propeller on splined shaft  etc

Member# 416

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »

I've noticed three things that may be of interest.

Picture 1
Part of the coil that appears to be cut, could be my imagination but looks like it could be hollow like a tube.

Picture 2
It looks like some form of join between two items of different circumfrance.

Picture 3
There appears to be a right angled end or fixture to the cable?

Any thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org