Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knotted Cloth  (Read 18209 times)

Brad Beeching

• T3
Knotted Cloth
« on: September 28, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »

In the documentary "Finding Amelia" there is reference to a piece of cloth with a knot tied in the middle that was found at the 7 site. I cannot find any reference to it any where here. What was the determination (if any) as to what, when, where it may have came from? Has the knot ever been untied? I was thinking that inside the knot might be a perfect place to find contact DNA, or even something tangable, like hair or a blood stain. If Mr. Noonan WAS seriously injured, maybe the cloth had been used as a tourniquet to bind a wound, or splint.
Brad

#4327R

Don Dollinger

• T3
Re: Knotted Cloth
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:14:23 AM »

Would cloth survive for 70 plus years in that environment?

LTM,

Don

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:09:45 AM »

I guess it could, given that cloth was collected stuck to other artifacts. Can anyone point me at the references for the knotted cloth?
Brad

#4327R

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 02:31:54 PM »

In the documentary "Finding Amelia" there is reference to a piece of cloth with a knot tied in the middle that was found at the 7 site. I cannot find any reference to it any where here. What was the determination (if any) as to what, when, where it may have came from? Has the knot ever been untied? I was thinking that inside the knot might be a perfect place to find contact DNA, or even something tangable, like hair or a blood stain. If Mr. Noonan WAS seriously injured, maybe the cloth had been used as a tourniquet to bind a wound, or splint.

Can anyone point me at references to this cloth, or answer the question?
Brad

#4327R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:45:11 AM »

Can anyone point me at references to this cloth, or answer the question?

Looking at the appendices for TIGHAR's recent report to PIPA I see no mention of the cloth but there are 2 leather items 2-9-S-2 and 2-9-S-8
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:31:33 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »

We had the cloth tested by Dr. Kathryn Jakes, Professor of Textile and Fiber Science,
College of Education and Human Ecology at Ohio State University.  She concluded:
"The material submitted for examination is a plain woven fabric made of polyester filaments. It is impossible for this material to have come from the castaway in question. It is likely to have been introduced to the island in the 1950s or later."

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up for me Ric, I appreciate the response...

Gums
Brad

#4327R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 05:26:09 AM »

We had the cloth tested by Dr. Kathryn Jakes, Professor of Textile and Fiber Science,
College of Education and Human Ecology at Ohio State University.  She concluded:
"The material submitted for examination is a plain woven fabric made of polyester filaments. It is impossible for this material to have come from the castaway in question. It is likely to have been introduced to the island in the 1950s or later."

Interesting! Another recent deposit on the 7 site, another visitor.  Does this fit in with the information learnt from the Solomons expedition?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 06:51:25 AM »

Interesting! Another recent deposit on the 7 site, another visitor.  Does this fit in with the information learnt from the Solomons expedition?

Not necessarily.  It could be something one of our people dropped.  We were there for the first time in 1996 - 14 years before the cloth was found.  We were there again in 2001 - 9 years before the clothe was found.  Last year we found the ferule (metal part) of a pencil eraser that we were able to match up to a particular brand of pencil that our senior archaeologist, Tom King, had with him in 2007.  In three years the Niku environment had completely consumed the wood leaving only the lead and the ferule.

We try hard not to lose stuff, but it happens and we end up "archaeologizing" ourselves.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »

It continues to amaze me how much TIGHAR has been able to find on Niku considering how "hungry" the environment is, I mean, jeez, three years to gobble up a pencil is pretty darn quick, because that is not exactly second-rate wood.

I remember pulling some bits out of the ground at the College Park aviation archaeology school that looked practically new and were easily identifiable after being in the ground for 50 years or more. Mostly clay soil, temperate climate, not as "active" an ecosystem (but plenty of rain for those two days  ;D ).

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org