Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: bbc article  (Read 70120 times)

Gary LaPook

• T5
Re: bbc article
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 04:46:32 PM »

Full throttle for Earhart at sea level was 28.5 inches of manifold pressure and 2050 RPM
-------------------------------------------------------
I thought takeoff power was 35.5 inches and 2250 rpm and maximum continuous power was
32.5 inches and 2200 rpm.

gl

Depends on where you look -

Engine performance limits according to FAA TC Data Sheet #590 for the L-10E are as follows -

Engines:
2 P&W Wasps S3H1

Placard Limits:
Maximum, except takeoff
Below 4000 ft. pressure alt.
     30-1/2 in. Hg., 2000 rpm (450 hp)
4000 ft. pressure alt. and up
     29 in. Hg., 2000 rpm (450 hp)
Takeoff (one minute)
     34-1/2 in. Hg., 2200 rpm (550 hp)

This is at "Revision 0" for the L-10E TC Data Sheet, which remains unrevised to this day.

The TC Data Sheet E-143 for the engine is another matter - but there are two points to consider:

1 - the data sheet information for the airplane with installed engines is always / would have been the controlling data for NR16020, and

2 - the engine data sheet was revised as late as August 7, 1973, so performance upgrades may have (probably did) happened (happen).  I did not delve into the original or previous revisions of engine TC Data Sheet E-143 to see, but that is common enough. 

Anyway, some of your numbers may be found there, especially given the conditions provided by "Note 5" therein -

Rating:
(Impeller gear ratio) - 10:1
(this is for the integral supercharger - Jeff)
Maximum continuous, hp., rpm, in. Hg., at:
     Critical altitude (ft.) - 550-2200-32.5-5000
           ("Critical altitude" power means making 550 hp at 2200 rpm and 32.5 in. Hg. at 5000 ft. press. alt. - Jeff)     
     Sea level pressure altitude (ft.) - 550-2200-34.0-S.L.
          (meaning 550 hp at 2200 rpm and 34.0 in. Hg. at Sea Level)
Takeoff (5 minutes), hp., rpm, in. Hg., at:
     Critical altitude (ft.) - 600-2250-35.5-3000
          (Meaning 600 hp at 2250 rpm at 35.5 in. Hg. at 3000 ft. press. alt. - Jeff)
     Sea level pressure altitude (ft.) - 600-2250-36.0-S.L. (See Note 5)
          (Meaning 600 hp. at 2250 rpm at 36 in. Hg. manifold press. at sea level for 5 minutes; Note 5 stipulates "best power mixture strength and 450 degrees F cylinder head temperature" limits and increased Critical Altitude / higher manifold pressure limits with the use of 91/96 octane fuel - Jeff)

Unless AE had some amending data that I do not know about regarding her permissible performance parameters, the data we see in L-10E TCDS 590 above is what she would have been governed by - for good reason: detonation and high temps result from running above those numbers and those things destroy cylinders, etc. very quickly.  I believe the "Lockheed Report 487: Range Study of Lockheed Electra Bimotor Airplane" document bears-out that AE was bound by what we see in the L-10E TCDS.

LTM -
-----------------------------------------------------------
I have attached TCDC E-143 and also the power setting table from P&W for this engine, each of which supports the values I mentioned.

gl

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »

av read thru quite allot ov tighar's,  previous forum posts an am unable to find a list of every single item found at seven site if 1 exists ?

This article on the Seven Site gives you some leads.

For more recent developments, read the most recent TIGHAR Tracks.

also has some looked thru luke field inventory an gallaghers invenory from when he died ?

Yes, some people have "looked through" these lists.

Luke Field inventory.

Inventory of Gallagher effects: box contents.

Inventory of items in Gallagher's house.

Two watches and a signet ring.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 02:43:16 AM »

av read thru quite allot ov tighar's,  previous forum posts an am unable to find a list of every single item found at seven site if 1 exists ?
also has some looked thru luke field inventory an gallaghers invenory from when he died ?

Richie,

this is where you will find the most detailed list that I have seen TIGHAR report to PIPA

Goto Page 2 of the report and about halfway down is Excavations at the Seven Site Appendix C gives a list of objects Found on all expeditions upto and including 2010 but I beleive that not all items for 2010 are listed.  This isn't just for the Seven Site but also other areas explored.

Hope that helps?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 05:53:20 AM »

Excavations at the Seven Site[/url] Appendix C gives a list of objects Found on all expeditions upto and including 2010 but I beleive that not all items for 2010 are listed.  This isn't just for the Seven Site but also other areas explored.

That's correct.  There were something over 175 individual artifacts recovered from the Seven Site during the 2010 expedition.  We have, naturally, focused on the most interesting ones.  We'll eventually get a complete list up on the website but don't expect to cruise through it and find things that are on the Luke Field inventory.  I wish it was that easy.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 08:56:25 AM »

i know it wouldnt be that easy i just wanted to know all atifacts found, an at quick glance appendix did u find an acutal wheel nut or what the wheel attaches to ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 09:09:34 AM »

i know it wouldnt be that easy i just wanted to know all atifacts found, an at quick glance appendix did u find an acutal wheel nut or what the wheel attaches to ?

Say wha???  Are you talking about the legendary "Wheel of Fortune?"   That was a supposed airplane wheel seen on the reef by a marine biologist during a New England Aquarium expedition to Nikumaroro in 2002.  We sent a small team out to find it in 2003 but by then storm activity had apparently carried it away.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »

lol Ric my bad i tend to type how i speak  ???, an that is what i meant yes the wheel hub, also the amount of artifacts yous have found are you sure amelia an fred did not dismantle the plane !!!  :D

didn't realize their was so much i still haven't read  in tighar
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »

The TIGHAR site is getting to be like the Smithsonian - no way to see it all.

True.

Good news is if you are persistent enough to handle all the reading it is easy to find stuff by topic, etc.  Marty's got some good guidance up on this (how to find stuff).  My problem is all the stuff I find on the way to looking something up... like the guy who can't put down a dictionary or encyclapedia  ;D

Ric created two new finding aids.  I've listed them, along with some other suggestions, on this page: "How do I search tighar.org?" 
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »

The TIGHAR site is getting to be like the Smithsonian - no way to see it all.

The penultimate guide to everything Amelia.  Seems most others places you find that has information about Amelia either lists Tighar or has information culled from Tighars archives...

LTM,

Don
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org