Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Discovery show now available  (Read 19824 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Discovery show now available
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »

At a recent meeting with the Discovery Channel we were able to confirm that they have no plan to offer the Finding Amelia documentary on DVD nor are they interested in an arrangement whereby we would license the show for sale to the public on DVD.  They do not, however, object to our use of the show to familiarize researchers with the Earhart riddle and TIGHAR's work.  We have, therefore, established a new category of TIGHAR membership called TIGHAR Researcher that will allow us to distribute free of charge, research materials that are not otherwise available, such as DVDs of the Discovery Channel “Finding Amelia” documentary. Other examples of materials that are of value to researchers but are not generally available to the public are:

- the NBC News Productions documentary about TIGHAR’s 1991 expedition.
- the ABC News documentary about TIGHAR’s storm-tossed 1997 expedition.
- “Flight For Freedom,” the 1943 Hollywood film which was largely responsible for the speculation that Earhart was on a secret spy mission.
- out-takes from 1937 newsreels that show details of Earhart’s Electra and her preparations for the world flight.
- July 8, 1937 “March of Time” radio broadcast dramatizing the search for Earhart.
- digital copies of scientific/forensic reports on artifacts and faunal materials, including DNA analysis.

I don't know why we never thought of this before. [dope slap]  For more information go to TIGHAR Researcher.

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
Re: Discovery show now available
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »

Ric, I will be sending you a check for renewal at Researcher level.

- Alfred

Norman Daly

• T1
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:36:32 PM »

Ahoy Ric:

If I join at the Researcher level, do I receive all of the items listed? If so, when?

Thanks. (I've been looking for a copy of "Flight for Freedom" almost as long as TIGHAR has been searching for AE and FN!)
Norm Daly
4127R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:58 PM »

If I join at the Researcher level, do I receive all of the items listed? If so, when?

All of the items listed and more.  We'll start with the Discovery DVD and send another item each quarter.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:07:36 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »

Which begs the question ... apparently the Discovery channel LIKES churning out one-hit wonders? Or do they just like ignoring all the, um, fan mail they get. I sent several (3? 4? I forget. Never got anything more than their "Thank you for your interest" form e-mail in response so I gave up).

I guess I'm too dumb to understand all the high finance and whatnot of modern TV and Hollyweird type stuff ... which, on second thought, is probably not a bad thing.

P.S. - My updated check is in the mail  ;D

LTM,
Monty Fowler
TIGHAR No. 2189CE
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:00:01 PM by Monty Fowler »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 03:01:55 PM »

Thanks Monty.  I don't understand it either but, in retrospect, I'm not knocking it because it prompted one of the best ideas I think we've ever had.  Once upon a time, being a TIGHAR member meant that you were among the first to get new research results via the printed TIGHAR Tracks - but in the digital world, and especially now in the Facebook age, news is nearly instantaneous and universally accessible.  That's a good thing.  We have a responsibility to inform and we would never withhold important information just to promote membership,  but it presented a dilemma for us in trying to grow the organization.  Why spend money to become a member of TIGHAR when you can get all the neat news for free?  The new TIGHAR Researcher category will allow us to provide benefits that are, by necessity rather than choice, available only to TIGHAR members. 

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »

Got the DVD today, and will FINALLY be able to see the entire show - I was out of town when it aired and the VHS tape ran out before the end ...

Popcorn, Amelia and a Monty Python pale ale - who could ask for a better evening?

LTM,
Monty Fowler
TIGHAT No. 2189CE

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »

I sent $20 via Paypal to raise me to the much-coveted Researcher status. I can hardly wait to get that Discovery DVD.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 06:16:12 AM »

I can hardly wait to get that Discovery DVD.

In the mail to you today.  TIGHAR members are all over this new category of membership.  This is great.

Norman Daly

• T1
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »

Ahoy Ric:

If one becomes a Researcher, is it possible to request a substitution of "Flight For Freedom" for "Finding Amelia"?

Thanks, Norm
Norm Daly
4127R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 05:44:03 AM »

If one becomes a Researcher, is it possible to request a substitution of "Flight For Freedom" for "Finding Amelia"?

You can request, but you'll get both anyway. ;D   At least every quarter we'll be sending Researchers new materials as they become available. 
"Flight For Freedom" is not yet digitized but it's in the stack.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »

Now that I have actually seen Tom Crouch "in the flesh," as it were, with his own take on things ... well, honestly, I wasn't all that impressed. As my wise (and colorful) grandma used to say, "Anybody can throw *cough* dung on the side of the barn, but only the truly talented can make it look like something."

TIGAR has the talent *ducks before Ric can throw something at him*

LTM,
Monty Fowler
No. 2189CE

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:02:50 PM »

Have been enjoying the Discovery show! Nice to see the story all laid out logically.

Unfortunately, my DVD quits (freezes) at around an hour in. Anyone else having issues? I'm not all that knowledgeable about DVD presentations. Maybe I have a bad disc? Any suggestions?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 06:40:33 AM »

Unfortunately, my DVD quits (freezes) at around an hour in. Anyone else having issues? I'm not all that knowledgeable about DVD presentations. Maybe I have a bad disc? Any suggestions?

Alfred, you probably have a bad disc.  We'll send you a new one via FedEx today.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 07:13:14 AM »

???Mine too!  Freezes at 1:13:50 on three different computers/DVD players.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org