Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr. Carrols Radio  (Read 50241 times)

Brad Beeching

• T3
Mr. Carrols Radio
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:46:23 PM »

Was anything ever found relating to Mr. Carrol's http://tighar.org/Publications/TTracks/2000Vol_16/occult.pdf supposed post loss radio conversation with AE?

Brad
Brad

#4327R

Alex Fox

• T1
Re: Mr. Carrols Radio
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »

We’re presently investigating the possibility that Carroll
had somehow managed some kind of twoway
exchange with Earhart, however brief, and
that Betty heard Amelia’s attempt to re-establish
contact with him.

I thought AE was unable to receive messages?  How could it be a 2-way conversation?  Or was that just Itasca's messages she couldn't get?

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »

We’re presently investigating the possibility that Carroll
had somehow managed some kind of twoway
exchange with Earhart, however brief, and
that Betty heard Amelia’s attempt to re-establish
contact with him.

I thought AE was unable to receive messages?  How could it be a 2-way conversation?  Or was that just Itasca's messages she couldn't get?

Not wanting to get the 'wrath of the linK police' but I also beleive that the loose of/or removal of antena ment that AE could not hold a 2-way conversation!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:03:36 PM by Chris Johnson »

Alex Fox

• T1
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »

Yeah, that's what I thought too, Chris.  But I'm not an expert on radio communication (or anything relevant to the Earhart search for that matter).

The article also reminds me of another question that does implicate the navigational people, though:
"Earhart's route was well publicized as was the fact that the USS Ontario was supposed to be positioned near the halfway point to provide navigational assistance."
If finding Howland was so incredibly easy that they couldn't have possibly ended up at Gardner, then why would they need the Ontario positioned to provide navigational assistance at the halfway point?

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »

Had I just flown 19 plus hours, missed my landing point, diverted to a secondary point 400 miles (3 hours) away, all the while trying to establish radio contact, and had a rough off-field landing on coral reef, The first thing I would do would be to trouble-shoot the radio and get it working so that I could send out distress calls.

In so doing, they probably found a blown fuse in the dynomotor circuit (a common problem due to over use of the radio), and an antenna connection that had vibrated loose (also a common problem).  Fixing these allowed them to send/receive messages.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:11:37 AM »

Ship Ontario was ordered to be in position halfway the by C.Williams computed great circle , at the intersection of two chords . The action was not for specific navigational purposes , other than marking A/c´s progression line when it passed over . The place is by definition 1,278 mls from Howland , too far to have any influence on for the island approach operations . Most probably btw , the great circle path was not flown , since the 0720 radio communicated fix @ 847 mls off Lae is far off latitude of the concerning great circle chords . Neither by radio , nor by hearing it pass over in the vicinity was the plane identified by Ontario´s crew unless appointments and with watch kept .

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 05:09:29 AM »

Had I just flown 19 plus hours, missed my landing point, diverted to a secondary point 400 miles (3 hours) away, all the while trying to establish radio contact, and had a rough off-field landing on coral reef, The first thing I would do would be to trouble-shoot the radio and get it working so that I could send out distress calls.

In so doing, they probably found a blown fuse in the dynomotor circuit (a common problem due to over use of the radio), and an antenna connection that had vibrated loose (also a common problem).  Fixing these allowed them to send/receive messages.

Wasn't the main problem the possible loss of the belly antena at Lea?

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:37:18 AM »

I truely appreciate the responses but I must ask, What does any of that have to do with the original question? Great circles and ships there or not belong to another thread somewhere else. So again I ask,

Was anything ever found relating to Mr. Carrol's http://tighar.org/Publications/TTracks/2000Vol_16/occult.pdf supposed post loss radio conversation with AE?

Brad
Brad

#4327R

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »

I truely appreciate the responses but I must ask, What does any of that have to do with the original question? Great circles and ships there or not belong to another thread somewhere else. So again I ask,

Brad

I've had a skim of the old site and also Rics assesment in Finding Amelia of the 4 days of transmissions after they failed to find Howland and I havn't found anything.  Does this mean it was deemed a hoax? I don't know but it looks like somewhere along the line it has been deemed to be a red herring.

(BTW sme of the responses are just anther way of saying that possibly this has been discarded by TIGHAR) :)

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »

Between the time that they (AE/FN) were unable to receive radio transmissions from the Itasca and the time of the post-loss transmissions and possible receotions, something happened!  They landed on Gardner and, wondering why they had not heard from the Itascca, deduced the existence of a radio problem, found it,  fixed it and were able to transmit and possibly to receive signals.
Elementary, Mr. Watson.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 01:34:50 AM »

If the crew was able to finish radio repairs , why not transmit their position in latitude at noon and in longitude by one sun observation the same day , instead of a few at random tales for teenager girls ?

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 01:41:20 AM »

The belly antenna  , lost or not , had nothing to do with either reception , or transmission of radio communication signals .

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »

Mr. H.A.C.VA says:

"The belly antenna  , lost or not , had nothing to do with either reception , or transmission of radio communication signals ."

If the belly antenna had nothing to do with reception or transmission of radio communication signals, what was it there for, hanging laundry?

If you are going to make pronouncements like the above, then please elaborate on what you think the antenna's intended use so the rest of us can attempt to understand your rationale. 

Perhaps you mean you mean the belly antenna was not used for voice, morse code, or DF signals, but that is not what you wrote.  The result is confusion on what you are trying to say, and frustration trying to follow your logic, which only serves to undermine your arguments.

A. McKenna

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »

The result is confusion on what you are trying to say, and frustration trying to follow your logic, which only serves to undermine your arguments.

Truer words were never spoken.
It's not too late to be great.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 12:15:28 PM »

The belly antenna  , lost or not , had nothing to do with either reception , or transmission of radio communication signals .

Had to do some reading and re reading.  My original statement was based on AE's Shoes which in places isn't necesserily upto date.  A delve into the main site and Ameliapedia and I can appreciate that my statement could be wrong.

"There is debate as to the exact nature of the receiving antennas aboard NR16020. One scenario deems it possible that the dorsal Vee antenna was not used for receiving at all, but transmitting only; and that the receiver was not connected through the antenna changeover relay, but directly to one or more antennas installed on the belly of the aircraft.

"This scenario also includes the hypothesis that the belly antennas were destroyed, unbeknownst to Earhart, when the masts or the wires made contact with the ground during the final takeoff from Lae, New Guinea. This scenario may explain why Earhart seems to have been unable to hear any transmissions from the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Itasca at Howland Island, as she approached the end of this leg of her flight.

"The existence of the belly antennas is an established fact. However, they may not have been employed for communications reception at all, but rather as sense antennas for radio direction finding purposes. Unfortunately, no available source can confirm their exact function."[2]

However I beleive the jury is out on this one and the question remains why did they apparently not receive radio, only transmit?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org