Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Complaints about moderation policy  (Read 12248 times)

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
Complaints about moderation policy
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:37:25 PM »

Yes , but the flight manual & navigators discussion has been locked , after the first time in history that something concrete and actual came into discussion , instead of the everlasting baloney of ladies novel pseudo romanticism with not any quantitative outcome let go hard or soft evidence .

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Complaints about moderation policy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:52:24 AM »

Yes , but the flight manual & navigators discussion has been locked , after the first time in history that something concrete and actual came into discussion , instead of the everlasting baloney of ladies novel pseudo romanticism with not any quantitative outcome let go hard or soft evidence .

This post fails to meet the standards it sets for others.

There is nothing "concrete and actual" in it.

It is simply an expression of your feelings, not much different from "everlasting baloney."

It has no "quantitative outcome."

It presents no "hard or soft evidence."

Moreover, it is not on topic in the thread where you posted it.  When I locked the thread on celestial navigation, I warned that I would act against any efforts to reopen the issue.  If you have found new evidence, you may present it to the moderators via e-mail or personal messaging.  If you simply wish to repeat what you have already said, you may not do so.  If you pollute other threads with griping about the closed thread, I will remove those posts.  If you persist, I will ban you from the Forum.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »

It became apparent to me a few weeks ago that this fellow is nothing more than a troll. I suspicion that he is not even the one who wrote the articles. Those latest comments "everlasting baloney of ladies novel pseudo romanticism with not any quantitative outcome let go hard or soft evidence" are scurrilous and  should have no place on this forum. Trying to read and understand his blather gives me a headache.

Recommend that you lock him out.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 03:18:41 PM »

It became apparent to me a few weeks ago that this fellow is nothing more than a troll. I suspicion that he is not even the one who wrote the articles. Those latest comments "everlasting baloney of ladies novel pseudo romanticism with not any quantitative outcome let go hard or soft evidence" are scurrilous and  should have no place on this forum. Trying to read and understand his blather gives me a headache.

Thanks for the comments and the suggestion, Bill.

There are intermediate steps that I have taken.

I've activated the new moderation features that come with the upgraded SMF 2.0 software that we use to host the Forum.  The moderators can issue warnings of various levels that can eventually trigger loss of privileges on the board.  I've also created a "Read-only" membergroup where we can quarantine fractious members, if need be.  They will be able to read posts and contact the moderators, but they won't be able to post until the moderators decide to restore their write privileges.

I've also added a red "X" under every user's personal information that will take you straight to your own "ignore list."  There is also some way that you can ignore whole threads and/or boards (I believe), though I haven't  gone looking for that yet. 

I presume that our problem poster is very much like me.  We're both Ameliaholics and would like to be "The Man Who Found Amelia Earhart."  He has my sympathy for his predicament.

I generally favor freedom of discussion.  A discussion group with no discussion is no fun (don't ask me how I know!).  We do have tools at our disposal to moderate when moderation is required.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

h.a.c. van asten

• T4
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:06:38 AM »

The ´fellow´wrote the articles himself ; his quoted comment was a reaction to repeatedly sneering (" you have no monopoly on baseless speculation" etc.) by one of TIGHAR´s members on this forum recently .

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »

I presume that our problem poster is very much like me.  We're both Ameliaholics and would like to be "The Man Who Found Amelia Earhart."  He has my sympathy for his predicament.

This is great! Thanks for making my day, Martin!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:14:34 AM »

Marty, you are the model of moderate moderation.  What would we do without you?  As you know from ancient experience, my style of forum moderation is far too immoderate. I tend to just put heads on pikes outside the castle gate.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »

Marty, you are the model of moderate moderation. ...

Thanks for the kind words, Ric.

I'm not 100% consistent.  I do tolerate (and contribute to!) thread drift much
of the time.   :P
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org