Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please don't feed the trolls  (Read 9058 times)

Chris Owens

• T2
Please don't feed the trolls
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:15:39 PM »

(Sorry for the duplicate posting; I won't post it elsewhere)

This article on "Recognizing and dealing with trolls" may be helpful:

http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll-tactics.html

Bruce Burton

• T1
Re: Please don't feed the trolls
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »

This article on "Recognizing and dealing with trolls" may be helpful:
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll-tactics.html

That's a very informative and helpful article. Thanks for posting the link.  Also, I cannot help but think that this tutorial posted yesterday by Marty on "ignoring users" is not coincidental and certainly represents one way for individuals to obtain relief:

http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,398.0.html

:)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:06:46 PM »

I've locked the thread where these two posts were first made and moved them here.

TIGHAR exists for "historic aircraft recovery."

The Forum exists to further that purpose.

The Forum does have moderators who review all posts, but we do not (at this point) review them prior to their appearance in the Forum.  This is my personal preference.  A discussion group with no discussion is no fun.

Notice that at the bottom of every post is a link by which you may report a post to the moderators if you think it is inappropriate.  If a whole thread has gone astray, pick a post, any post, in it, and report it to the moderators with a comment expressing your view.

Please do not attempt to drive trolls out of the Forum by calling them names or by otherwise trying to shame them into good behavior.  If they really are trolls, that won't work--that is "feeding the trolls"!

We begin with the presumption that all members of the Forum are innocent and well-intentioned.  If they stray, it is the job of the moderators to try to coax them to play nice and fight fair.  If you find someone's behavior intolerable, the first step is to put them on your personal ignore list.  The next step, as indicated above, is to ask the moderators to intervene.

Just as "bad money drives out the good," so bad posters drive out good posters.  At the same time, it is important to let people express disagreements with the Niku Hypothesis and with each other.  Such disagreement is normal and healthy in exploring the strengths and weaknesses of various pieces of evidence and lines of argument, so long as people are willing to disagree without being disagreeable.

You may, if you wish, express your views on the Forum's moderation policies in this thread or by sending personal messages to me or to the other moderators.  The moderators are not infallible but they are responsible for using the tools at their disposal to keep discussions more or less on course.  Your feedback is most welcome to help us learn how to be better moderators.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Roger Ward

• T1
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:04:48 AM »

For the record, even though I generally have a low level of activity, I do have "philisophical buy-in!"

My wife would say don't feed me, but that's another story alltogether...  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org