Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunrise Encounter  (Read 133273 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: Sunrise Encounter
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »

Yes, I could go to Nonouti in a couple  months or so, but it seems like it would be much easier to have some locals check around if their interest was aroused. The image I have of main island Nonouti shows it as a series of land forms, maybe separated by channels, I don't know if the entire island is regularly visited. Anyway you would think somebody would notice a plane that was there 74 years by now.

Ric wrote just above  ;D
Nonouti was, and is, densely populated. People fish in that lagoon all the time and that feature is in shallow water or we couldn't see it in the Google Earth image. If it's an airplane it's hard to imagine that its presence is not common knowledge among the people who live there.  My friend Manikaa Teuatabo is from Nonouti. He's a Kiribati Customs officer who has accompanied several of our expeditions and he has never said anything about an airplane in the lagoon back home.

Bottom line:  I strongly suspect that the feature is coral but I can't say that it couldn't be an airplane. However, I can say that I dont see any way it could be the Earhart airplane.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »

Yes, I could go to Nonouti in a couple  months or so, but it seems like it would be much easier to have some locals check around if their interest was aroused.

Exactly how were you figuring on getting to Nonouti?  What's your plan for getting in touch with the locals?

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »

Yes, I could go to Nonouti in a couple  months or so, but it seems like it would be much easier to have some locals check around if their interest was aroused.

Nonouti travel guide  ;D

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2011, 02:32:48 PM »

Note the absence of information about actually GETTING there.

Chris Johnson

• T5
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2011, 02:41:14 PM »

Nonouti travel guide  ;D

Wednesday 6.30am looks good

But David, you've read Sex Lives of Cannibals to know all about Air Kiribati!

Alex Fox

• T1
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »

Maybe "Space Archaeology" could help?  Check out BBC (Discovery Channel in the U.S.) tonight when this airs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110526/ts_afp/usegyptbritainspacearcheology_20110526152657

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Archaeologists have uncovered as many as 17 buried pyramids in Egypt with the help of NASA satellite imagery, according to a documentary to be aired by the BBC on Monday.
. . .
The BBC, which funded the research, released the findings this week ahead of a broadcast describing the technique and what was uncovered.

"I couldn't believe we could locate so many sites all over Egypt," Parcak was quoted as telling the BBC.
. . .
Infrared images, which were taken by satellites orbiting 700 kilometers (435 miles) above the Earth, revealed the below-ground structures.

The satellites used powerful cameras that can "pinpoint objects less than one meter (three feet) in diameter on the Earth's surface," the report said.
. . .

edit:  looks like this already aired.    On 5/30.  Anyone catch it?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:36:51 PM by alexf4880 »

Alex Fox

• T1
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »

I'm building a dugout canoe as we speak. it should do the job. I'll be there in less than a year, I expect.
As I said, I'm confused exactly where the plane image is. I tried Google Earth and I couldn't see it. But I'm more interested in Noumatong, which I believe I did find the image of. If there is no actual plane, I'm no worse off than you are on Niku with no plane. Since I can't seem to sell my hypothesis here, let alone get any help, I guess I'm on my own at this time. I suppose if your friend on Nonouki had any info at all about old, old rumors he would have told you by now. So I would say if and when I do go there, I would need some time to get more info and make up some kind of plan. I'm going to Peru soon and will be there till July 14, so nothing much will happen till after that.

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »

Yeh, maybe that's the wreck of an Air Kiribati plane in that satellite image.

I have seen those Egyptian images. I just read "Ancient Egypt 39,000 BCE" by Edward F. Malkowski. Another mystery to solve as soon as I've wrapped up AE.

Zach Reed

• T1
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »

David, yes the object is located roughly 2/3rds mile south of Nonouti, just north of the "teardrop".

Noumatong Island (the best that I can tell) is the landformation three miles further south, much of our view in GE blocked by a cloud.

There appears to be consistent air traffic on the atoll; you can go on youtube and see some footage, as well as lots of pics of the surrounding area (including a few from the island). Unlike Gardner, this place really is paradise.

With so much flying going on, there is no doubt in my mind that the locals are fully aware of the object. I think what we have is an old tourist plane...if you look at it long enough (like I did last night) you will eventually see the characters from South Pacific file out of Air Kiribati, wave their hands and sing "Bali-ha'i".

All in all, this was a fun detour...I can see how people get the bug for this kind of thing. And having seen those wide open sandflats on youtube, I wish I could go there myself.

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »

I'm building a dugout canoe as we speak. it should do the job. I'll be there in less than a year, I expect. 

David, any chance of taking Mr. Van Asten with you?  We wanna make sure you find the place.      :D
Jim Stoveken

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »

He's already signed on as my navigator. :o

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2011, 07:17:14 PM »

Zach, that's what I thought, it was on Nonouti. I found Noumatong (I think) on GE  but it was partially blocked by a cloud and there was no sign of recent habitation. Still, Noumatong is where my crystal ball says AE and FN might have wound up.

Bill Lloyd

• T3
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2011, 07:35:55 PM »

Exactly how were you figuring on getting to Nonouti?  What's your plan for getting in touch with the locals?

David, any chance of taking Mr. Van Asten with you?  We wanna make sure you find the place.      :D

Maybe you could get Gary LaPook to fly you there in his Cessna 172. Also maybe you could arrange for Mr. Van Asten to fly as co pilot and navigator. You could sit in the back and take notes on the interesting exchange between those two about celestial navigation and trigonometry. What an interesting flight that would be.

Of course we would have to arrange to have floats put on Garys Cessna so he could land in the lagoon.

After you are finished on Nonouti, then perhaps you could get Gary and Van to hop over and intercept the 157° LOP that runs through Howland. Gary could demonstrate how to fly a search pattern and find Howland. Mr. Van Astern could then demonstrate how to DR from a lost position to Gardner Island.

Take a sat phone and keep TIGHAR informed daily so that they may post updates for us.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2011, 07:46:53 PM »

Maybe you could get Gary LaPook to fly you there in his Cessna 172. Also maybe you could arrange for Mr. Van Asten to fly as co pilot and navigator. You could sit in the back and take notes on the interesting exchange between those two about celestial navigation and trigonometry. What an interesting flight that would be.

Of course we would have to arrange to have floats put on Garys Cessna so he could land in the lagoon.

After you are finished on Nonouti, then perhaps you could get Gary and Van to hop over and intercept the 157° LOP that runs through Howland. Gary could demonstrate how to fly a search pattern and find Howland. Mr. Van Astern could then demonstrate how to DR from a lost position to Gardner Island.

Take a sat phone and keep TIGHAR informed daily so that they may post updates for us.

Good luck in your endeavors.

------------------------------

Sure, here's a link to a description of how we can do it.

http://fer3.com/arc/m2.aspx?i=108664&y=200906

gl
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org