Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kindle  (Read 14056 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Kindle
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:47:05 AM »

Anyone a ardent Kindle user?  If so how do you find it compared to reading a normal book.  Am thinking of getting one but some input from other users would be helpfull.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Kindle
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »

Anyone a ardent Kindle user?  If so how do you find it compared to reading a normal book.  Am thinking of getting one but some input from other users would be helpful.

I was given one last year.

I've read several dozen books on it.

It is OK.

Not good for non-Kindle .pdf books.

Not a computer.

No apps to extend its capabilities.

If I was buying hardware, I'd go for some kind of
Android pad, I think.

The discounts for Kindle books aren't that great.
Used books can be gotten more cheaply than
e-books--a sign, to my eye, of some price gouging
going on.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »

Hi Chris,

I found a Kindle app on my phone (Droid X) and enjoy it, at least the free classics.  Washington Irving and Sun Tzu, so far.  No Gillespie or King on the free side.  It's cool to be able to read a few pages when you get a chance without having to remember to bring a book along.

Haven't tried any other formats yet, still finding my way around the new phone.

It's OK considering the size of the screen; if I had a lot of reading to do I would probably go with a tablet as Marty suggests.

Generally a great idea if you live life on the run, but if you're parked in your library complete with pipe, dog and fire, it's tough to beat a hard cover.

Cheers,
Walter

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:28:04 PM »

Hi Chris

I have used an iPad for over a year. I have iBooks and a Kindle app. Great for reading.  Also great for checking the Internet and this forum in particular. I'm going on vacation next week and have already downloaded some good mystery and spy novels. I read several newspapers daily on this tablet along with some magazines. It has amazed me how integrated into my life and habits it has become. Well worth the money. And I too believe we are being hosed for ebooks. The prices should be a good one third to one half less than what they are.  You cannot get "Finding Amelia" in digital format. I will bet that when Ric finds the Electra then his material will be digital.  :)   I write to this forum using the iPad but find some functions in the editor don't work but the key stuff does.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:56:12 AM »

While I bought my wife an iPad for Xmas, and it is really cool, I too am a "book in the hands" type person. Besides, how can you dog ear a page in a e-book? 
I often think of Tom Hanks in Castaway and imagine the despair one would get when their e-book viewer finally runs out of power and becomes just another paperwieght!  :o
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »

Pricing may be a bit of and issue but it can cut the other way as well.  I was looking for a technical book the other day, £120 on Amazon for the real deal, £16 for the kindle version.

Here in the States, the price is probably about as low as it can go.

Mine was $140 US.  That is very, very low.  They're obviously planning to make money on the book sales.

If you like to read outdoors, the Kindle is probably one of the best screens.  It stands up well in direct sunlight while all of the color screens would get washed out.  I don't read outdoors and I like color monitors better than black-and-white--and I like multi-function computers.  I don't have any handheld devices yet, but I'm planning to buy into the Android world in the next year or so.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »

I recently got a Kindle 3G. I am learning how to read the Wall St. Journal on it. It takes time to learn, at first it is very unsatisfying. The books are fine. I bought my first on from Staples store and it was old version, 3.02 and the battery would die quickly. It took several phone calls to Amazon to get them to send me a good one, they wanted me to download Version 3.1, but that didn't work for me. I don't think Carol Dow's book is on Kindle, I don't think Tom King's books are on it either. Still practicing my links.

Editor's note: I fixed the link for you.  You're making progress.  Much appreciated.  MXM, SJ.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:38:18 PM by moleski »

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 03:51:51 PM »

Thanks, I didn't look for that one. I got the "Shoes" book at my library. I'll download 13 Bones pronto.

Alex Fox

• T1
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:38:39 AM »

Finding Amelia is available on Kindle now, apparently as of yesterday.  Was $9.99.  I already got someone to buy it.  Thumbs up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org