Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eleanor / Interesting  (Read 10701 times)

Andreas Badertscher

• T1
Eleanor / Interesting
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:06:22 AM »

http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/displaydoc.cfm?_y=1937&_f=md054687

I thought some uf you'll find this interesting....

Kevin Weeks

• T3
Re: Eleanor / Interesting
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:55:08 AM »

I feel quite silly after reading that link twice. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why we would find that interesting. The picture was sure familiar but I couldn't place it until I actually decided I should read the REST of what was on the page! DUH! lol. nice post

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:06:18 AM »

"...Amelia Earhart and her pilot..."  I wonder if there's anything to that perception, or was it just her? Simple faux pas?

I love this kind of stuff. It's a window into another world...

Andreas Badertscher

• T1
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »

Sorry about that.
I should have made it more clear what my point was.  :)
If you enter Amelia into search box you will find more.
LTM

Chris Owens

• T2
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »

"...Amelia Earhart and her pilot..."  I wonder if there's anything to that perception, or was it just her? Simple faux pas?

I love this kind of stuff. It's a window into another world...

Bearing in mind that Eleanor Roossevelt was born in the 1880s, I'm guessing that she was using 'pilot' in the traditional nautical sense rather than the aviation sense... in ship navigation the pilot is not the overall commander of a ship, but someone with local expertise whom the captain takes aboard to navigate in and out of a harbor or river.  I imagine that the term "navigator" might not immediately have come to mind.

Chris Owens

• T2
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:30 AM »

For whatever it's worth, by July 12th Eleanor Roosevelt was using "navigator":

http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/displaydoc.cfm?_y=1937&_f=md054691

My thoughts keep flying out to the Pacific Ocean and hoping against hope that good news may still come of Amelia Earhart and her navigator. I shall always be grateful to Mr. Walter Lippman for what he wrote in his column about Amelia—no one could have done it more beautifully.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »

Just speculation of course, but I think the phrase reveals Eleanor's understanding that Earhart's strength was not as an aviator but as a symbol and spokesperson for aviation and equality for women.

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »

Or she may have been under the impression, until corrected, that FN was a co-pilot.

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »

Just speculation of course, but I think the phrase reveals Eleanor's understanding that Earhart's strength was not as an aviator but as a symbol and spokesperson for aviation and equality for women.

I think I would call that an educated assessment, not a pure speculation. I think her weaknesses as a pilot caught up with her finally. Not necessarily her physical control of an airplane, although she doesn't seem to be an ace at that either, but her overall competence, including preparation, planning, taking charge of a risky endeavour, maybe you would call it executive ability. In other words, if I owned an airline, would I hire her to fly my flagship route? Knowing her record, I doubt it.

Yes, maybe this is uncalled for, and a unnecessary negative opinion, well of course it's unnecessary. I have to give her credit for being larger than life,  symbolizing all sorts of good qualities, for doing the right things at the right time, for making herself into a heroine. For giving us all something to mess up our minds with 75 years later. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org