Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FBI Vault  (Read 27505 times)

Don Dollinger

• T3
FBI Vault
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »

Just opened a bunch more documents from the FBI and they have reorganized their site so that you can do searchs by keywords and such.  First key word I punched in was Amelia Earhart and am now looking at a 59 pages .pdf file.  First document is concerning TIGHARs analysis of the navigator desk. 

Check it out at:  vault.fbi.gov

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: FBI Vault
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:26:17 PM »

Just opened a bunch more documents from the FBI and they have reorganized their site so that you can do searches by keywords and such.  First key word I punched in was Amelia Earhart and am now looking at a 59 pages .pdf file.  First document is concerning TIGHARs analysis of the navigator desk. 

Check it out at:  vault.fbi.gov

Direct link to the file you mentioned.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »

I skimmed over it, actually it's not that lengthy, and discovered the letter, sender blacked out, to Mr. Winchell, dated Sept. 22, 1943 which states sender heard broadcasts describing their location as a small island near Knox Atoll in the Marshalls, that they were OK. Knox is a lot closer to Lae than Gardner, also was Japanese controlled at the time, though there may not have been any inhabitants on Knox or nearby islands. It is obviously not on LOP from Howland. Also letter claims she said plane was drifting. Read it for yourself. I suppose in wartime Mr. Winchell might have forwarded the letter to FBI. You wouldn't think she could transmit if the plane were DRIFTING, but maybe that was misunderstood. It goes on to say messages ended in Aug. So maybe they were rescued by the Japanese and Amelia assumed identity of Tokyo Rose after all.   There you have it.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »

Can do...

vault.fbi.gov/amelia-mary-earhart/amelia-mary-earhart-part-01-of-01/view

Don, when I said "Direct link to the file you mentioned," I wasn't giving you a command; I was providing the direct link.  Run your cursor over that phrase and you will see that it is a link. 

I will try to use more words next time to make my meaning clearer.

Thanks.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:20:30 PM »

I skimmed over it, actually it's not that lengthy, and discovered the letter, sender blacked out, to Mr. Winchell, dated Sept. 22, 1943 which states sender heard broadcasts describing their location as a small island near Knox Atoll in the Marshalls, that they were OK.

That letter was sent by Nina Paxton of Ashland, KY.  The letter to Walter Winchell was one of many. Of all the shortwave listeners Nina was by far the most persistent in trying to convince others that she had really heard Amelia Earhart. Her repeated efforts to make her story known span 31 years from 1937 to 1968.  She made her initial report to her local newspaper on July 9, 1937 claiming to have heard Earhart on July 3rd say that she was "down in ocean."  At that time there was no mention of Knox Island. Over the years her tale grew increasingly elaborate and absurd. 

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

Marty, In defense of Don (not that he needs defending, or me to defend him) the contrast for links is not that great, especially for tired eyes.  Would it be possible to set the default to a more contrasting color?  (The blue font is not a link... just an example of what I'm suggesting)
Jim Stoveken

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 10:43:34 PM »

Marty, In defense of Don (not that he needs defending, or me to defend him) the contrast for links is not that great, especially for tired eyes.  Would it be possible to set the default to a more contrasting color?  (The blue font is not a link... just an example of what I'm suggesting)

OK.  New color chosen, FWIW.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:06:10 PM »

Well, at least Nina Paxton caused me to learn where Knox Island was, increasing my superficial knowledge of the area. So it was of some benefit.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 02:33:44 AM »

So its your fault i've now got a head ache ;)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:26:25 AM »

So it's your fault I've now got a head ache ;)

Yes.  It took me a while to isolate just the links inside of posts.  But now we're in a position to fool around just with that one element of the style, for good or ill.   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:48:16 AM »

Appreciate the support all.  Sorry Marty, I was flipping back and forth between the forum and the Amelia file and didn't realize that you were supplying a link, thought you were asking for a direct link to the document which is a fair request which I should've supplied from the get-go  :-[.  No problems, either way it is a very interesting document. 

Love the penned in comment advising the SA not to participate in person at any scheduled press conference arranged by TIGHAR.

I know that they do that routinely so as not to infer that they support any group or any unproven theory, but to the uninitiated (with the emphasis on NOT), if you read between the lines it almost looks like they are saying stay away from that TIGHAR organization, their members wear tinfoil hats.   ;D

LTM,

Don

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 08:09:02 AM »

Good job Marty!  Chris... Just wear your shades when you're here.   8)
Jim Stoveken

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 09:48:05 AM »

Just wondering if hidden "working" forums exist for senior members which aren't open to the public, for example, for coordinating the upcoming bones mission? I'm not knocking a friendly open forum, just wondering if there is something like a hidden working forum where the real business is happening, for expedition members to discuss logistics like itineraries, priorities, search strategies, etcetera?

Yes.  Much of that takes place in the Earhart Project Advisory Committee (EPAC) or sub-committees selected from that.  People get assigned to projects or volunteer for them, then work in little groups to finish the assignment.  There is also a Board of Directors for TIGHAR, which can also create sub-committees or ad-hoc groups as needed. 
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »

I've thoroughly enjoyed the forums here, yet it becomes evident they're for the curiosity of the public and not working forums - ain't nothin' wrong wit' dat. I will say if I'm honest, though, when posts begin simply wobbling into wild speculation and apparent important news (a new mission!) doesn't seem to be generating interest or forum dialogue or questions about team members or itineraries or priorities or goals, etcetera... it seems like something is missing and it becomes a hint less compelling to come back.

Gotta' say this, above all, Ric is sure one classy guy. Ric, top researcher in the world in the AE mystery, never fails to politely respond to the the most newbie questions. One classy guy, that Ric.

Alan,

this is only my opinion but I view this Forum as a new intake of pupils learning about a complex subject.  The new pupils come form diverse background with different agendas.  Like all new pupils there are people who study hard and watch what is happening, people who ask questions without looking for the answer and people who are looking at stuff that older pupils have already discussed and put aside.  The forum is in its infancy but has the capacity to develop into a new research tool to add to the tools that TIGHAR already has.

I thank the older pupils for there patience in us youngsters who just love to keep tirning over the same old stone.  I beleive that every contribution is worth while if it has the potential to 'turn on a light'

I especialy like this quote;

"FAIR WARNING:The Surgeon General has determined the TIGHAR Forum to be highly addictive. Side effects can  include significant brain stimulation , loss of productivity in the workplace, and occasional sleep loss. Ask your physician if the TIGHAR Forum is right for you. Chances are he or she is already signed up."

because it has made me start to study.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:37:33 PM by Chris Johnson »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org