Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virgin Oceanic & DeepFlight Challenger sub  (Read 38419 times)

Irvine John Donald

• T5
Re: Virgin Oceanic & DeepFlight Challenger sub
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 12:15:31 AM »

I still say a well structured "Joint Venture" with the likes of Branson should be given serious consideration.

If he's in the area he just might make a visit to Niku on his own and if he finds the L10 where would this leave TIGHAR?

Ted
I'd guess it would leave TIGHAR about the same place as it would be if the "Joint Venture" was undertaken.  If Mr. Branson finds the Electra it will still prove TIGHAR's theory, and at least some people will realize he wouldn't have known where to look without the work Ric and others have done previously.  The ones who wouldn't take the time to learn the truth are probably not people who care much anyway. 

I think this is an excellent point Dale. Well said.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:26 AM »

... It's not that he just doesn't want to seek help from "big ego" adventurers with deep pockets.  He has done that and it didn't work out.

This is called "stereotyping."  It's also known in logic as a hasty generalization. 

"I've met that kind before.  They're all one and the same.  No need for me to treat them as individuals."

My opinion is that a thorough search is going to take time and money on a scale that TIGHAR has not yet reached.  One way to get time and money is to talk to people who have a lot of both.

If it is the case that the mothership and the manned sub are not the right technology to use in the search, that is a different and, in my view, a more respectable reason for not talking with the folks who hope to use it to set five records in five oceans.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bill Lloyd

• T3

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 05:29:41 AM »

Thanks Jeff, and I agree with you. Bransons sub isnt equipped to do what TIGHAR needs. But, it can get there, as others could. My thoughts were that were aren't real sure of the depth of the ocean floor off the reef. Bringing another 500-1000 meters of cable for a ROV may ----or not  be enough. It would be a real shame to think the ocean floor is at 1500 meters, and it be at 2500 or 3000 meters, and the fuselege or wings of the Electra be just out of sight.
Actually, this is probably one of those never ending debates. Like the meaning of "gas running low". For the sake of discussion, are there any other submirsibles around with the capability, and availability? I think the University of Hawaii has one, and one in Hong Kong, or Singapore, but I really dont know. For sure the NAVY has one, but that is out of the question.

Is there any other way????
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 08:03:03 PM »

A well crafted "Joint Ventue" will satisfy both parties.
Ted Campbe

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »

News today about Triton Submarines---going to the ocean depths. HUMMM----Ok--sorry I started this again-
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 09:47:25 AM »

Bransons sub isnt equipped to do what TIGHAR needs. But, it can get there, as others could. My thoughts were that were aren't real sure of the depth of the ocean floor off the reef. Bringing another 500-1000 meters of cable for a ROV may ----or not  be enough. It would be a real shame to think the ocean floor is at 1500 meters, and it be at 2500 or 3000 meters, and the fuselege or wings of the Electra be just out of sight.

I couldn't agree more.  If nothing else it will at least provide a bit of very valuable data, that being just how deep is the ocean floor in that particular area, not a guess but the actual real data.  He may find what Ric is looking for or he may not but at least Ric will gain the knowledge of how deep he will need to go to ensure that he is able to explore it all, once and for all.

Knowing what little I know of Branson, one thing I do believe is that if approached he would probably be salivating at the fact that he may be able to put another feather in his cap as the one who located the smoking gun.  He will be in the area anyhow and he would not have known where to look if it where not for all the fine work that TIGHAR has done over the years.  A little shared glory is not at all a bad thing and if anything is discovered that may be a part of the Electra, it would probably be alot easier to get donor dollars to go back and prove it by recovering or at least examining it closer after the fact.  I would think that if Branson did see a big hulking radial engine in the depths his submersible would not have the capabilities nor would he have the knowledge of what to look for to prove or disprove it is from Amelia's Electra and it would pinpoint for TIGHAR just where they need to concentrate their efforts.  As it just a theory, it is very possible that Nessie is something entirely different then believed and she landed on the other side of the Norwich City or for that matter on the other side of Niku.  Very unlikely, but not impossible either.

LTM,

Don
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org