Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How to ask intelligent questions  (Read 45946 times)

dave burrell

• T3
Re: How to ask intelligent questions
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »

Amelia's lively hood, depended on the Electra making the round the world flight, The cost of fishing the Electra out the lagoon is not worth thinking about, MY opinion is if they could land safely on reef, they had a chance of refueling an taking to the air again to howland.

Also if they landed in lagoon they would have no chance of radioing for help, So i think the pluses of a reef landing out weigh the lagoon landing theory.

No Ritchie I wasn't talking about a lagoon landing. For years, read the old Tighar tracks, THE theory here, said the wreckage broke up on the beach and eventually landed inside the lagoon and entrance to it. There was never a mention of Deep water.
So I wanted to know if it had been sonar searched, or not.
Without digging through mountains of Daily expedition reports.
Matt answered it well.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »

Or maybe Marty they got tired of being told to "look it up". And wanted some give and take.

The "old forumites" of whom I speak were not being told to consult readily available resources.  They were they ones who produced those resources.

It doesn't overwhelm any old timers to hear a newbies question.

As an relatively old timer (I began paying dues in 2000 after reading the website twice), I beg to differ.

But here, No matter what is asked, there is a moderator there telling you to look it up.
I don't get it.

Yes, I see that.

Forums are supposed to draw new members, and new money, and new blood, and have fun.
Not guard state secrets or for old timers to pat each other on the back.

Material published on the website hardly counts as a "state secret" in my book.

Being rude to new members, or making it not fun, is arrogant,  sorry, it is.

Ah.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »

A bit of thread drift going on here, having been a bit of a lurker here off and on for years I can appreciate both sides, maybe a newbie question thread could be established so that individuals could be brought up to speed in a friendly way without clogging the main threads.  Although I appreciate ameliapedia and the other documents here they are still daunting and simple helpful summations for new member might make this forum more productive

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »

A bit of thread drift going on here, having been a bit of a lurker here off and on for years I can appreciate both sides, maybe a newbie question thread could be established so that individuals could be brought up to speed in a friendly way without clogging the main threads.

Perhaps.  I'm not as optimistic as you are about persuading newcomers to read such threads or confine their questions to them.

Although I appreciate ameliapedia and the other documents here they are still daunting and simple helpful summations for new member might make this forum more productive

How many times do you want us to give "simple helpful summations"?  There are 17687 posts in 698 topics by 791 members in the Forum at the present time.  Do you think multiplying posts on the same topic is a way to make the Forum more intelligible to or fun for newcomers?

Here is the kind of question I love to answer: "I searched for information on ____________.  I found [link to an article, document, or post].  I don't understand or agree with [some aspect of that material]."

Here is the kind of question I don't love to answer: "Could someone who has done the work feed me the answers to my question?  It's hard to figure things out for myself.  There are too many words on this website."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

dave burrell

• T3
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 10:47:38 PM »

Marty I dont understand your problem with people asking questions. Even dumb questions.
Even lazy questions. (which most are not, I think you have so much knowledge you don't realize how daunting this place is even with hours of reading)
It's not like it's your job to answer every question is it?
Then I would say, yes, Marty is overworked answering stupid, lazy questions.
Questions are for the community, not just you.
If it's a dumb question, it will die and nobody will respond.
Why take it upon yourself to answer the dumb stuff and the stuff you feel is worthy?
Drink a beer and relax and let the newbies have fun.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 05:49:49 AM »

Marty I don't understand your problem with people asking questions.

I see that you don't understand.

Ah, well.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:12:24 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »

Very informative. Thanks Marty! :)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »

... maybe a newbie question thread could be established so that individuals could be brought up to speed in a friendly way without clogging the main threads.

FWIW, I've retitled and revised a Welcome thread in the Amelia Earhart Search Forum / General Discussion board.

I think newcomers should become accustomed to finding the right thread to post their question in, if it is a question about TIGHAR's work.  Otherwise, the newcomer thread or board would simply become a duplicate of other material in the Forum, which is something that I think would not be helpful.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jon Romig

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 08:30:31 PM »

Ric,

I understand how very frustrating your role is here vis-a-vis posters who are off track for various reasons, but I think that we simply need to remind inaccurate/uneducated posters of the above principles, and/or simply tell them when they are off topic. A simple standard message (like the above, repeated for every "bad" post) is all that is needed. You shouldn't be expending your personal energy, emotion or time in individual responses to them.

I am also sure you understand that the volume of material to absorb is getting unmanageable for any newbie or even a regular, so that this problem will only increase over time. As a newbie myself (and I am not a dumb or insensitive guy), it has taken me months to fully grasp the incredible level of my ignorance, and to begin to adopt the practices outlined above.

Perhaps moderators need a way to vote down bad posts (to hide a post unless a user really wants to read them), like on many other sites. I personally would very much appreciate something like that.

Also, isn't it Marty and the moderators' job to police the threads? Why are you being sucked into it?

In support of the amazing job you do,

Jon Romig
Jon Romig 3562R

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 03:39:47 AM »

Jon Romig -- You quoted a post from Marty that is a year and a half old, and you posted on a thread which has been inactive for a couple of months.  I'm wondering if you feel the current state of the forum reflects the problem about off-topic posts and "uneducated or inaccurate" posters, or are you just speaking in general.  You stated you are a relative newbie to the TIGHAR website and you have been studying the material on the website for several months now.  I assume your study of the website has included browsing the forum, at least now and then.

Could you point out specific forum posts (and/or forum posters, if you wish) which you feel fall into this category of off-topic post and/or uneducated/misinformed/inaccurate poster?  A brief list of posts by thread name and reply number is what I am looking for here.

Jeff P.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 04:52:46 AM »

Could you point out specific forum posts (and/or forum posters, if you wish) which you feel fall into this category of off-topic post and/or uneducated/misinformed/inaccurate poster?

I will remove any posts that make such accusations.

It's OK to provide links to help inform people of information they may have missed.

It's not OK to castigate people in a general way for being uninformed.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »

I think you may have a loop in your request for corrections.

Try this.
http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Documents/Bones_Chronology2.html
16. Oct 23 1940

then, go down bottom and try

Feel free to contact us. Corrections much appreciated.

I found myself in a loop.

FYI

Regards
Mike

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »

I think you may have a loop in your request for corrections.

Try this.
16. Oct 23 1940

then, go down bottom and try

I found myself in a loop.

I don't see those words on the page to which you have linked.

You are correct that our contact page is missing in action.  I removed a CMS component that we were not using when the system crashed last fall.  I have to create a new contact page and fix the links for which I am responsible.

While we're at it, I have also been informed that the Google search gadget is no longer working on the search page.  I need to do some coding for that, too.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 12:55:14 AM »

Now, when I enter
it takes me there. Looks as though you fixed it.
Previously, it took me to a page showing

How to search TIGHAR.org:

Thirty-second nutshell.
    Two minute description.
    Finding aid by subject.
    Finding aid by type of document.
    Site map.
    Index to TIGHAR Tracks.
    Finding Amelia--includes an index and a companion CD.
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
    Outline of the basic story.
    Highlights of the Ameliapedia.
    Categories in the Ameliapedia.
    All pages in the Ameliapedia.

Main pages on the website:

The main site
    Ameliapedia
    Forum
    Site map for main site

So, did you much appreciate?
Cheers
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org