Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How to ask intelligent questions  (Read 45951 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
How to ask intelligent questions
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:50:29 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

dave burrell

• T3
Re: How to ask intelligent questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:13 PM »

Love the site and reading the old material.
Lots of reading Tighar tracks in the early 90's, it could take a year.
It seems the Hypothesis has changed over the years, so as a new reader I am asking why to
any old timers.
For years every issue seemed to say whatever is left of the wreckage is in the lagoon
or buried in the inlet. There was NEVER mention of deep water.
Now the theory is that whatever remains is located in deep water off the North shore.
Why the change? Was the Lagoon ever sonar searched and eliminated?

And whatever became of that picture of the Electra wreckage, known then as the "wreck photo"  and Jeff did all the analysis on? Seemed like that was talked about a lot and kind of forgotten. ( Marty I searched I swear)

Malcolm McKay

• Read-only
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:47:12 PM »

And whatever became of that picture of the Electra wreckage, known then as the "wreck photo"  and Jeff did all the analysis on? Seemed like that was talked about a lot and kind of forgotten. ( Marty I searched I swear)

Wreck photo and article -

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/10_Wreckphoto/10_Wreckphoto.html

The lagoon was searched, somewhere Andrew has explained the process.

Shannon Council

• TIGHAR member
  • Member #3294R
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:01:11 AM »

I'm not Marty, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
The photo was determined to be a Tachikawa KI-54 Hickory trainer.

I drank the TIGHAR Cool-Aid.

dave burrell

• T3
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:50:09 AM »

Thanks for the article on the wrecked plane picture. It gets confusing because I had read the previous release that malcolm linked, in it, it states that tighar was positive it is a model 10 lockheed. That the Ki 54 had been eliminated. Which if it was a model 10 left a high probability this was THE plane. So then that was reversed and it was decided it was a KI 54? Lots of positive its not a Japanese plane, definitely a Lockheed model 10, then its not a Lockheed. Back and forth. All by the same analyst?

So where can I find the results of the inlet and lagoon search? If anyone knows of course. It was for 15 years the hypothesis, then seems in 2000 around that time it was not talked about anymore. So maybe 2000 was the year all the testing of the lagoon and inlet was done? Was anything found in the lagoon?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:34:48 AM by dave burrell »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »

Thanks for the article on the wrecked plane picture. It gets confusing because I had read the previous release that malcolm linked, in it, it states that tighar was positive it is a model 10 lockheed. That the Ki 54 had been eliminated. Which if it was a model 10 left a high probability this was THE plane. So then that was reversed and it was decided it was a KI 54? Lots of positive its not a Japanese plane, definitely a Lockheed model 10, then its not a Lockheed. Back and forth. All by the same analyst?

The answer to your questions can be found by reading the Forum Archives (1998-2009).

You can see for yourself how TIGHAR's view evolved.

So where can I find the results of the inlet and lagoon search? If anyone knows of course. It was for 15 years the hypothesis, then seems in 2000 around that time it was not talked about anymore. So maybe 2000 was the year all the testing of the lagoon and inlet was done? Was anything found in the lagoon?

Do you suppose that  reviewing a history of the expeditions might satisfy your curiosity?  Or perhaps you would be interested in a summary of those expeditions from the standpoint of archaeology?
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

dave burrell

• T3
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »

I read for hours last night to see if the lagoon was searched, for how long, and was anything found.
I could find no information on what was done and results.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »

I read for hours last night to see if the lagoon was searched, for how long, and was anything found.
I could find no information on what was done and results.

If you click on the links below, and read those pages carefully, you may find answers to your questions.

What I mean by a "link" is the sequence of words that appear in bold blue letters.  Such "links" will also be underlined when you run your mouse pointer over them.

What I mean by "click" is to place your mouse over those words and depress the left button on a PC mouse or the only button on an Apple mouse.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

dave burrell

• T3
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »

Thanks Marty those are helpful. But I was asking if any other forum members, not necessarily you or tighar, could give their summation in a paragraph or two.
By giving links to every question asked, it frequently overwhelms a new reader. The full scope of the information asked may not even be contained in the links.
For instance clicking on summation of lagoon search it says two divers were pulled on skimboards through the lagoon.
So it is easy to miss the scope of 25 years of research unless it seems, I want to read  months of links and expedition reports. Even the summaries don't necessarily contain the pertinent info asked.

I thought perhaps another willing forum member could quickly summarize the search efforts in a particular area. Just their opinion of course, not an official stance by the forum administration.

dave burrell

• T3
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »

Thanks Matt, exactly what I was asking.  :)

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »

By giving links to every question asked, it frequently overwhelms a new reader.

On the other hand Dave, by new readers asking the same questions over and over, it frequently overwhelms the old forumites.   :)

Jim Stoveken

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »

Thanks Marty those are helpful. But I was asking if any other forum members, not necessarily you or tighar, could give their summation in a paragraph or two.

Yes, of course that is easier than learning how to search the site for yourself.

By giving links to every question asked, it frequently overwhelms a new reader. The full scope of the information asked may not even be contained in the links.
For instance clicking on summation of lagoon search it says two divers were pulled on skimboards through the lagoon.
So it is easy to miss the scope of 25 years of research unless it seems, I want to read  months of links and expedition reports. Even the summaries don't necessarily contain the pertinent info asked.

Agreed.  But it turns out that what you wanted was in the Forum already.  My goal is to teach people how to fish so that they can become informed participants.

The first page of Google results, using "lagoon" as the search term, from the TIGHAR-specific search box turns up both the thread in which Andrew and Walt gave the kind of summary you were looking for as well as this thread.

I thought perhaps another willing forum member could quickly summarize the search efforts in a particular area. Just their opinion of course, not an official stance by the forum administration.

I would like, if possible, to encourage people to learn how to find their way around the site so that the Forum is not stuffed with questions that have already been asked and answered in the Forum or elsewhere.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »

On the other hand Dave, by new readers asking the same questions over and over, it frequently overwhelms the old forumites.   :)

Exactly.  There are a very large number of "old forumites" who made substantial contributions to TIGHAR's work who do not participate here.  I suspect, though I cannot prove, that some of them may have grown tired of repetitious questions.  Some, too, were irked by the change from the e-mail format to a page-based format.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »

The photo was determined to be a Tachikawa KI-54 Hickory trainer.

Well, maybe.  Maybe not...
Jim Stoveken

dave burrell

• T3
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »

Exactly.  There are a very large number of "old forumites" who made substantial contributions to TIGHAR's work who do not participate here.  I suspect, though I cannot prove, that some of them may have grown tired of repetitious questions.  Some, too, were irked by the change from the e-mail format to a page-based format.

Or maybe Marty they got tired of being told to "look it up". And wanted some give and take.
It doesn't overwhelm any old timers to hear a newbies question.. Just ignore the question. It isn't like some forums where there is a new question every 2 minutes.
 I belong to several forums where I am the old timer. I get the same questions again and again. And Our topics aren't as detailed as this place. This is a maze.
But I answer the questions on my forums, if I feel like it, or I ignore the newbies and let someone else answer it.
I have never seen a forum where it wasn't meant to be fun and educational.
If a newbie asks a questions that is obvious, like what kind of plane did they have, yes, roll your eyes and give them a link.
But here, No matter what is asked, there is a moderator there telling you to look it up.
I don't get it.
Forums are supposed to draw new members, and new money, and new blood, and have fun.
Not guard state secrets or for old timers to pat each other on the back.
Being rude to new members, or making it not fun, is arrogant,  sorry, it is.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org